Firaxis' official Gods & Kings site now up and running!

I listened to it again today. By Western standards, it is not monotone at all.

But for an East Asian language (I assume Korean has tones like Chinese), he IS extremely monotone. I recognized some phrases that I think are the same in Chinese, and he sounds like a non-Korean trying to be Korean.

Korean doesn't have tones. I don't know whether the speaker is Korean but the speech is good enough to be considered standard - for a Joseon king. Obviously whoever coined the sentences were trying very hard to imitate those Korean dramas. :lol: Modern Koreans don't speak the way he does.

Also, Korean has many loan words from Chinese so yeah.

I listened to it again today. By Western standards, it is not monotone at all.

But for an East Asian language (I assume Korean has tones like Chinese), he IS extremely monotone. I recognized some phrases that I think are the same in Chinese, and he sounds like a non-Korean trying to be Korean.
This is your problem right here.
Also, generally in refined language, Chinese tones are not as... melodic, as in some of the more rural areas.

I don't hear any Russian in Attila...

I've asked around a few people from Central Asia on VK, and they indeed think that Attila speaks Hunnic language.

We don't know what Hunnic was. Unless Firaxis has a time machine, it has to be a specific language. Can any of them actually name a specific language that it is?

Wikipedia says that Hunnic is a dead language of Bulgar branch of Turkic family, and its closest modern relative is Chuvash language. I will search for Chuvash speaker, but meanwhile - all Kazakhs and Uzbeks i've spoken to are sure that its a Hunnic, and Hunnic is a Turkic language.

A bit weird how they refer to him as a prince. Nobility wasn't all that important in the Netherlands.
I speak Dutch, and he sounds very stylish. It doesn't sound like modern Dutch either.
Actually, his voice reminds me very much of this comic character :p:https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFj_gaJfIap0_2JvUCbkLO6x1_0mmpH7W915rPF0G3y8gHaQjP
It might be even more weird to think that the Netherlands was actually a republic :p but as far as I know he's been called 'Prins van Oranje' for centuries. 'Willem de zwijger' (William the silent) is another nickname for him. Funny to compare him to Lambik, I just hope his personality in game will not be the same :p

I agree with you that his speech is not in modern Dutch, saying 'behoeft gij iets?' ('do you require anything?'). 'Gij' has been replaced by other words ages ago and I cannot recall anyone saying 'behoeft' where I come from, which makes it sound to that he is speaking an older version of Dutch. I do hope they haven't made an error and used a Flamish voice actor as these words still are being used in Belgian Dutch.

For those who do not understand Dutch, this is what William is saying:
Dutch: "Ik ben Willem van Oranje, stadhouder over de Nederlanden. Behoeft gij iets? Mij staat nog veel te doen."
English: "I am William of Orange, stadtholder of the Netherlands. Do you require anything? I have a lot of things to do"

It might be even more weird to think that the Netherlands was actually a republic :p but as far as I know he's been called 'Prins van Oranje' for centuries. 'Willem de zwijger' (William the silent) is another nickname for him. Funny to compare him to Lambik, I just hope his personality in game will not be the same :p

I agree with you that his speech is not in modern Dutch, saying 'behoeft gij iets?' ('do you require anything?'). 'Gij' has been replaced by other words ages ago and I cannot recall anyone saying 'behoeft' where I come from, which makes it sound to that he is speaking an older version of Dutch. I do hope they haven't made an error and used a Flamish voice actor as these words still are being used in Belgian Dutch.

For those who do not understand Dutch, this is what William is saying:
Dutch: "Ik ben Willem van Oranje, stadhouder over de Nederlanden. Behoeft gij iets? Mij staat nog veel te doen."
English: "I am William of Orange, stadtholder of the Netherlands. Do you require anything? I have a lot of things to do"

William was a Prince, from the Principality of Orange in France. And he was educated and learned Dutch in Brussels (he was a German by birth), so it is not unlikely that he did have a Flemish accent.

Pacal cracks me up. His demeanor does not match his outfit at all.

The way he talks now, I imagine him saying, "Hello. I'm from Mutual of Omaha. Please have a seat. Can I get you a glass of water?"

While his outfit more says, "HEY! I HAVE A TUB OF COCAINE THAT ME AND BOB ARE PLANNING TO SWIM IN AFTER I'M DONE WASTING MY TIME WITH YOU! GOD DAMN! I'M HOT!"

If I saw this guy walking down the street, I definitely would think that everything that came from his mouth would be loud, obnoxious, and ended in an exclamation point.

Forever more when I see him introduce himself, I'm gonna laugh and reply, "Why, yes. I would like a glass of water. Thank you kind sir."

Is there a topic already where I can whine about Theodora being the Byzantine leader? It's like having Nancy Reagan for the Americans... Basil II, John II Komnenos, such solid late Byzantine emperors to choose from and they instead pick a whore who's basically saying "Hey handsome stranger. See this place? Im chief madame here *wink wink*"

:<<<

Moderator Action: Attention, read the background here.

Pacal cracks me up. His demeanor does not match his outfit at all.

The way he talks now, I imagine him saying, "Hello. I'm from Mutual of Omaha. Please have a seat. Can I get you a glass of water?"

While his outfit more says, "HEY! I HAVE A TUB OF COCAINE THAT ME AND BOB ARE PLANNING TO SWIM IN AFTER I'M DONE WASTING MY TIME WITH YOU! GOD DAMN! I'M HOT!"

:lol: I am now really, really looking forward to Gods and Kings. More so than before.

Is there a topic already where I can whine about Theodora being the Byzantine leader? It's like having Nancy Reagan for the Americans... Basil II, John II Komnenos, such solid late Byzantine emperors to choose from and they instead pick a whore who's basically saying "Hey handsome stranger. See this place? Im chief madame here *wink wink*"

wow what

Nothing like calling women 'whores' to remind me that this is a gamer forum.

I find this comment offensive:thumbsdown:.

I really find it funny how people find any reason to complain about anything.. I hate that tulips are 99% unlikely to be Polder produced lxuruy, it bothers me since i thought that was awesome, but I ain't going to not buy the EP because of it xD.

Top Bottom