Feat Promotions

rocklikeafool

Warmaster
The list of Feats is below. These are special promotions that require certain things to be given to your units. As of now, I have no idea as to what those prerequisites should be, unless they are explained in the actual feat. I will also list civilopedia entries later. Feel free to offer suggestions on these.

Monster Slaying
30% bonus towards monsters, such as Manticores, Pegasi, and Treants. (Doesn't give bonus against Dragons.)
Mighty Contender of Kord
20% attack bonus. This feat means that your unit has participated in the annual tournament to honor Kord and gone so far as to win against all other units, defeating any units that participated in that annual period. This feat is strongly recommended for melee units.
Master Assassin
Applicable only to Assassins and and Hired Assassins. 30% bonus against Hero units and 15% bonus against Archer or Melee units. Also gains the ability to poison enemy stacks of 3 or more. If successful, causes all enemy units to become plagued and lose 10% health each turn, with a 20% chance of wearing off each turn.

Edit:Master Assassin, if successful causes poison, not plagued. Also, the poison wears off as soon as the unit goes to its own territory and heals completely. However, when in rival territory, on top of the normal time it takes to heal, five more turns will be added. So, if it normally takes 3 turns to heal, then in rival territory when poisoned by a unit with the Master Assassin Feat, it would take 8 turns.

Please tell me what you think. I will look at that and edit accordingly (especially if you are Darque, since he is the head modder). I'll take suggestions from anyone and everyone. Thanks.

Ok. Sweet. I'll edit that straightaway.

Hmm...I have no ideas as to what would trigger these feats. Anyone have any ideas bout that? Even a vague idea would work at this point.

Hmm...that would work, except then there would be certain feats that people might not use, choosin the obviously more powerful feats over the less powerful but more subtle feats. Maybe something along the same lines but with regular units. So, maybe the feats should require a tech but only 5 units in the world can have that one feat?

Um...ok. But that wasn't what I was sayin. What I was sayin was that say for Master Assassin, for example, only 5 assassins or hired assassins in the world. would have that feat. However, if you wish to put the feats on heroes, it's your call.
But it would be cooler if there were like five feats for heroes. Then ten would be for other units, and only 5 units in the world could have those feats. Three of those ten would be for mages, four for melee, and three for recon. Cuz ya see havin this way makes it so not all the feats are jus hero feats. It gives another interestin element to gameplay.
Also, all feat I think should require, besides the right tech, certain prerequisite promotions. Oh, by the way, I guess, IMHO, another word for feats would be world promotions. So, in the pedia, we could have a entry for feats beside the promotions entry, as a separate category, ya know. That would be listed in the strategy section and say, "Feats are world promotions that require a certain tech and certain normal promotions to acquire". Then the feat would have the tech requirements and prerequisite promotions listed on the left, like with units. Tell me what ya think, man. (If any of this is unclear, please ask me to explain.)

Edit: Instead of four feats for melee, there will be three. Then there will be one generic feat that any unit can have. It is the Benevolent Healer Feat listed below. Although any unit can have this feat, it is strongly reccomended that this feat be used with units that already have some healing capability on build. That way it makes it that much easier to get the feat.

Some new feats below.

Dragon Slayer
30% bonus against Dragons and Wyverns
Battle Caster
Only available to magic units, Spells that damage enemies cause 25% more damage
Benevolent Healer
With the Medic III promotion, this promotion causes units to heal 10% faster. Note that this promotion does stack with the benefits of the Medic III promotion.
Hand-to-Hand Combat
Only available to melee units, Unit gains a 20% bonus against melee units

Tell me what ya think of these.

Um...ok. But that wasn't what I was sayin. What I was sayin was that say for Master Assassin, for example, only 5 assassins or hired assassins in the world. would have that feat. However, if you wish to put the feats on heroes, it's your call.
But it would be cooler if there were like five feats for heroes. Then ten would be for other units, and only 5 units in the world could have those feats. Five of those fifteen would be for mages, five for melee, and five for recon. Cuz ya see havin this way makes it so not all the feats are jus hero feats. It gives another interestin element to gameplay.
Also, all feat I think should require, besides the right tech, certain prerequisite promotions. Oh, by the way, I guess, IMHO, another word for feats would be world promotions. So, in the pedia, we could have a entry for feats beside the promotions entry, as a separate category, ya know. That would be listed in the strategy section and say, "Feats are world promotions that require a certain tech and certain normal promotions to acquire". Then the feat would have the tech requirements and prerequisite promotions listed on the left, like with units. Tell me what ya think, man. (If any of this is unclear, please ask me to explain.)
Interesting idea with world promotions. I'll have to look into the C++ code first, as I'm not sure how to implement that yet.
New feats look good too. :goodjob:

Thanks. I'm comin up with more soon. As I said, I'm workin to get bout fifteen.

Please note, Darque, the few changes I have made above. Look at the Bloodbowl Champion Feat and the edit bout Master Assassin Feat (in the first post) and the edit bout the Benevolent Healer Feat (in the 9th post here). Then tell me what you think and if you want me to change anything. Thanks.

I have also decided to add two feats for archery units. That makes the total number of feats seventeen.

Here are some more feats.

Summoner
Only available to magic units, any summoned units gain 10% strength and the unit can summon all the summoned units that your civ has gained the technology for. So, if you have the right technology and the required magic guild; which are the Guild of Air, the Guild of Earth, the Guild of Fire, the Guild of Water, and the Mages Guild; then you can summon all the available summoned units.
Arcane Master
Only available to magic units, all arcane spells become available to the unit this feat is given to. Also, arcane spells which cause damage will cause 15% more damage.
Silent Killer
Only available to recon units. This feat has two effects, one of which is only usable by assassins or hired assassins and spy units. The first effect is allows an assassin or hired assassin and spy units to enter a rival city and ‘Kill a city leader’. This causes 1-5 turns of unrest, depending on the size of the rival city. There is a 35% chance that the assassin, hired assassin, or spy will be caught and executed. The second effect is available to all recon units and allows the recon unit to sneak up on a rival unit of equal or lesser strength and kill the rival unit’s commander. In the process of killing the commander, it is also understood that some of the commander’s guards may be killed as well. So, this effect causes 5% to 20% damage to the rival unit attacked and causes the attacked rival unit to receive an effect called demoralized for 3 turns, which decreases its attack power by 15%. As with the first effect, there is a 30% chance the recon unit will be caught and executed.
Brutal Assassin
Only available to tier 3 recon units and assassins or hired assassins, causes 25% to 40% damage to a rival unit. Note that it cannot kill a rival unit ever. So, if the rival unit is weakened to about 10% of its health and it has a strength of 5 (which means its health is at 0.5), then this feat causes between 25% to 40% damage on that rival unit’s 0.5 of remaining health. That means that the rival unit would now have 0.1 of remaining health. (It’s actually about a damage of 0.125, but for simplicity’s sake I rounded it down to 0.1.) So, this feat is very damaging but cannot kill a rival unit. The reason for this is because it is a very potent feat. And if it could kill a rival unit, the unit with the feat would be so ridiculously overpowered that it would annoy people.
Trueshot
Only available to archery units and requires Attack III. This feat acts much like a spell, meaning the unit with this feat can use it and then still attack. It causes 30% to 50% damage to a rival unit and as such is very potent. However, it can only be used against a rival unit that has strength ranging from one strength above the unit with this feat to any strength below the unit with this feat. Also note that this feat will never kill a rival unit, much as Brutal Assassin cannot. (See above.) This is a very potent attack and is recommended for your strongest archery unit to maximize the damage caused and increase the chance that you can use it against any rival unit.
Distance Shot
Only available to archery units and requires Attack III. This feat allows the unit with it to send an arrow to damage a rival unit that is two or less squares away and causes 10% to 25% of damage to that rival unit. As with Brutal Assassin, it cannot kill the rival unit. (See above.) This is mainly a defensive attack and should be used by an archery unit placed in a key city or great defensive position.

With these feats being completed, that finishes the feats that are available to regular units. There will be, as I said above, five feats for heroes. I will explain more bout those later. I am also goin to post the tentative pedia entries for the feats that are finished.
By the way, for those who are wonderin, these feats are not implemented yet and (if I guess right) won't be for awhile. I believe the plan is to have these implemented in Beta 2.

Here is a list of which feats are for Melee, Magic, Recon, and Archery units. I am posting this for the sake of allowing you guys to more easily see what units each feat is available to. Note that certain feats are only available to certain special units, such as assassins or hired assassins. For those exceptions, see the above posts.

Generic Feats:
Benevolent Healer
Melee Feats:
Monster Slaying
Bloodbowl Champion
Dragon Slayer
Magic Feats:
Battle Caster
Summoner
Arcane Master
Recon Feats:
Master Assassin
Silent Killer
Brutal Assassin
Archery Feats:
Trueshot
Distance Shot

The tentative pedia entries will be posted later today, as stated before.

Here are the pedia entries for the finished Feats. I apologize that this post will be so long.

Master Assassin
Pedia Entry:
In every craft, there are certain members who are considered geniuses of their craft. Such are Master Assassins. These dangerous men or women have studied the art of death for most of their lives. They have killed many people, always for their religious cause or their employer. These masters of killing are not very sociable and are not the type you should ask to sit down and have a drink with you.
Every Master Assassin looks different and wears different clothing. Some wear silk and look and act like nobles or princes. Others dress in dark cloaks and wear light, dark colored chain mail. Every Master Assassin also carries numerous costumes, to allow them to change character if needed. They are masterful actors and excel at fooling the populace. (The only society where the Master Assassins openly display themselves and openly show their Master Assassin’s knife strapped to their side is in the Drow cities.) They can blend into shadows so well that they are rarely detected. Some Master Assassins have been known to hide in direct sunlight and not be seen until they jump out to kill their target.
All of them carry dangerously sharp daggers as a mark of their rank in the Assassin hierarchy, with a strange design on the hilt that depicts a snake or spider (depending on whether the Master Assassin is of the Drow or not, as only the Drow always have a spider in the design as part of their double dedication to Lloth) resting in the hand of Lloth (who besides being the head goddess of the Dark Seldarine Pantheon is also the Patron Goddess of Assassins, among other things) and often a short sword for any combat situations. They do not carry broad or long swords, battleaxes, or anything that is longer and heavier than a short sword because they regard it as too heavy and say clinks too much, which makes them easier to detect. (Though the Brutal Assassins might disagree.)
Although few recognize Master Assassins in public, except in the Lands of the Drow, if anyone does; they should try to politely avoid them. Of course, if one is the intended target, then one will not even see the Master Assassin until one dies. Master Assassins are well adept at fitting into crowds and markets. So, one will rarely recognize a Master Assassin. In fact, the few that do are Wizards, Mages, and Priests of Kelemvor, the God of Death; Mystra, the Goddess of Magic; Mask, the God of Thievery and Shadows; and Azuth, God of Wizards and Mages. But Master Assassin are usually smart enough to avoid such people. One will never find a Master Assassin unless he or she wished to be found.

Dragon Slayer
Pedia Entry:
Though Dragons are rarely slain, there are rare occasions when they are. Those who slay a Dragon, called Dragon Slayers for obvious reasons (and sometimes Wyrmslayers), are fawned over by their people and considered a hero. Often, such people receive a mark of condemnation or respect from their monarch or from their city-state or republic. Though a Dragon Slayer may not necessarily look fearsome or barbaric, they often have a streak of either very strong duty or very great anger.
On the battlefield, such warriors are feared and respected. They are often commanders and generals. Although they may not always be geniuses at tactics, their ability to inspire their soldiers makes up for that. Of course, there are cases where a Dragon Slayer is both a great tactical commander and inspires his men well. These people are often feared by their enemies more so than those who are just charismatic. But on the whole, the mere presence of a Dragon Slayer on any army’s side drives their men onto victory and demoralizes the enemy.

Battle Caster
Pedia Entry:
Battle Casters are fearsome mages or wizards whose sole reason for learning magic is to give their nation or kingdom a magical aid in battle. Often called War Wizards, Battle Casters are the magical support for their army and use powerful spells to kill and demoralize the enemy.
Many Battle Casters are peaceful people outside of war and spend much of their time training other mages or wizards. In the more peaceful kingdoms; mainly the Kingdom of the Kalagori Elves, the Empire, and the Woods of the Wildarrow Elves; Battle Casters are heads of magic guilds and try to avoid and resolve conflict. These Battle Casters use the power of their own good to invoke their spells. However, once war is formally declared, a Battle Caster like that is first into the fray, casting deadly spells.
In nations like the Lands of the Drow and Thay, Battle Casters are often rulers of the magic hierarchy, as well. But unlike the Battle Casters of other nations, their position is built upon their power, cruelty, and manipulation. They are certainly willing to kill anyone who threatens their position and never hesitate to do so. These cruel Battle Casters use the power of their own evil to invoke their spells.

Benevolent Healer
Pedia Entry:
Healers are common enough. But every so often, a healer appears who can cure almost all maladies. A healer of this caliber can cure diseases faster and in a way that causes less pain to the patient. These types of healers are renowned for their remedies that can cure maladies most healers can’t, and they are given much respect by all, regardless or race or creed.

I'll post more later and maybe change a few things in it. Tell me what ya think, Darque. Peace fo' now, man.

Just finished reading. Initial thoughts:
Master Assassin - Inspired me to create a new Espionage mission - Assasination. I'll pass on more info after I'm done with its implementation, as I need to play around with the espionage mission xml a bit.
Monster Slaying - Sounds like an entry taken right out of Forgotten Realms. Needs some major editing to remove all FR references.
Bloodbowl Champion - This sounds like it was taken directly out of Warhammer. Lets rename it to Mighty Contender of Kord.
Battle Caster - Arcane magic in Dragonia is not granted by the gods. Divine magic is granted by the gods.

So far everything else looks pretty good. I'll let you know if I have more comments.
Also, I'm working on implementing a level requirement for promotions. This will be usefull for these advanced Feats, I think.

Ok, cool. I'll edit all that and see what ya think then.

As of now, the following things below have been changed. See the above posts to look at these in detail.

*Bloodbowl Champion feat has been renamed Mighty Contender of Kord.
*The pedia entry for Battle Casters has been changed to show that they use the power of their own natural good or evil to invoke spells.
*New pedia entries for Mighty Contender of Kord and Monster Slaying are being written.

Top Bottom