Who here has the fastest turn times?

I tried the save provided in the first post, but I get two diplo screens, and so it's impossible to accurately measure a turn time.
If you post another version without diplo screens I'll run the test again.

In the meanwhile, I provide another save. It's a very late game (after 2050) on the Giant Earth Map (180x94) from Gedemon's Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack. I just declared war on all other Civs an CSes, to avoid diplo screens.

My computer is composed of:
O.S.: Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
MB: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (Intel chipset: P67 B3 Revision)
CPU: Intel i5-2500K @3.3GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS
GPU: Asus EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 (AMD Radeon HD 6950 @ 810MHz, 2GB RAM)

It took me 1m 52.5s to pass one turn.

I plan to upgrade soon my PC with 16 GB RAM and a SSD. I'll post the new time as soon as upgraded.

What resolution did you run at..?
What graphics setting for the game did you use....?
Did you use the normal or strategic view...?
Did you use quick movement and quick combat....?

Just a few points above to ensure that we are all aware of what we are comparing. :)

It seems a good idea.

EDIT:

After trying your save much of what I asked is not needed.

This is mine with your save...

3570k at 4.4Ghz
8GB of DDR 3 12800 RAM @ 1600mhz
GTX 670 2GB GPU
SSD for Windows 7 x64 SP 1 HP
SSD for Games

2560x1440 resolution
All game settings on High with v-sync on
normal view used.

Time taken for test 1min 7 seconds

The upgrade to 16GB from 8GB will make no difference. An SSD for this type of test will make no difference as I saw virtually no HD access.

Overclocking that CPU to something like mine (or higher) will make the very biggest difference.

Okay, I went forward a few turns and declared war on everyone. 48 seconds in strategic view with quick combat and quick movement on DirectX 9.

O.S.: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1
MB: Um...
RAM: 8GB
HD: Three drives of forgotten origin: 900GB, 300GB, and 75GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 430

The turn time on fdelbene's save is much longer and thus much better for testing. If he can let us know what we have to have installed before we can use it, then I'll plop it in the first post and we can use that as the standard instead.

He already did that and linked to the Giant Earth Map mod to use.
That is all that I downloaded and then selected that mod and used his save game to test with.

Okay, it's in the first post now. I loaded it in one minute and forty-five seconds. A lovely neat time.

Make sure you have auto-end turns off when you load the save, or it'll start loading before you get all ready and hit next turn.

If he can let us know what we have to have installed before we can use it, then I'll plop it in the first post and we can use that as the standard instead.

He already did that and linked to the Giant Earth Map mod to use. That is all that I downloaded and then selected that mod and used his save game to test with.

Actually I think that you can play the save even without the mod.

...ah I didn't think of that I just downloaded the mod as I assumed the save would not work without it..?

anyway it is no big deal to download the mod :)

My computer is composed of:
O.S.: Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
MB: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (Intel chipset: P67 B3 Revision)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
HD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS
GPU: Asus EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 (AMD Radeon HD 6950 @ 810MHz, 2GB RAM)

It took me 1m 52.5s to pass one turn.

I plan to upgrade soon my PC with 16 GB RAM and a SSD. I'll post the new time as soon as upgraded.

Upgraded PC: save load time slightly improved (from 2m 01s to 1m 38s) while turn run time remained stable (as expected).

ah I see. That would account for the mediocre differences in your times.
Still the SSD certainly has other benefits.

Yes, the SSD makes the system much faster and boot time very short, so I'm more than happy with it.

Civ-wise instead, I would have expected a bigger impact on the saves loading time, but I got just a 19% improvement...

Now that the new patch is out, is anyone up for trying this again? I've got college and assignments every day that I don't have work, so I don't think I'll be able to build such a processor-intensive game. For the most accurate results, we'd have to start from the start, which sounds like a weekend-long endeavor. Maybe fdelbene would be willing to volunteer again?

Top Bottom