[Religion and Revolution]: Maps for Europe, Africa and Port Royal

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

based on this ModComp we could introduce the following concept.

When sailing to Europe, Africa or Port Royal (from a Travel Plot), a ship will not directly appear in the Europe/Africa/PortRoyal Screen.

Instead, the ship will appear in a Europe Map, Africa Map or Port Royal Map.
(Predefined Maps as WorldbuilderSaves.)

There you will really sail into a harbour / a city.
When you open EuropeScreen / AfricaScreen / PortRoyalScreen you will see the ships, that have actually sailed into that harbour.

This could also be the base for having Several EuropeScreens or even Several Africa Screens.

A realistic concept of trading with many ports !
(Of course with different prices in thes ports.)

Parallel Maps
Really interesting.
There really is a lot of potential in this.
Hmm wow :cool::eek::king: That is definitely a cool new modcomp with good possibilities!

When sailing to Europe, Africa or Port Royal (from a Travel Plot), a ship will not directly appear in the Europe/Africa/PortRoyal Screen.
When you open EuropeScreen / AfricaScreen / PortRoyalScreen you will see the ships, that have actually sailed into that harbour.
:crazyeye:Nice. We'll have to think and plan about it but this is definitely a cool concept worth exploring further. Maybe we don't need a separate Port Royale map, since this was simply a port in the Americas and could be visited from the usual map. But historically the nations were active in several theaters such as Africa and the Orient and had small outposts there. It would be very cool to see something similar in game.

Hmm wow :cool::eek::king: That is definitely a cool new modcomp with good possibilities!
I agree. I really like the idea.

Sorry, if this is a little off topic (again!), but this remembers me of Master of Magic's Mirror plan! Did I already say I really liked Master of Magic ? Oh ... I did. I'll stop it then !

There's something else we could exploit (but this would take time). There could be several ports with specific names (in Col94, La Rochelle, Seville, London and Amsterdam) . And I think I read somewhere something about Europe screens evolving in a game called Anno 1502 (I think, but I've never played Anno 1502...).
If we sell many goods in Europe, the city's population could rise or something like that...

:crazyeye:Nice. We'll have to think and plan about it but this is definitely a cool concept worth exploring further. Maybe we don't need a separate Port Royale map, since this was simply a port in the Americas and could be visited from the usual map. But historically the nations were active in several theaters such as Africa and the Orient and had small outposts there. It would be very cool to see something similar in game.
I would rather have a different map for Part Royal... I don't understand how we could introduce another Port on main map... :confused:
Yes! Outposts. I was told Portugal had many outposts on western African coasts !

But maybe I should finish my work on Release 1 before dreaming of such new features !!! :lol:

If you're playing a map of the east indies, and yet you still have to go to a seperate map to access Port Royal, that would be weird. You would have settled your own port where Port Royal should be, and then you have to access a different yet exact twin of the map your playing on, and Port Royal, not your city is in the square!?

Couldn't Port Royal just be an actual city in Jamaica on the Americas Map that you sale into and trade?

Couldn't Port Royal just be an actual city in Jamaica on the Americas Map that you sale into and trade?

No, because this needs to work with random maps, too. ;)

No, because this needs to work with random maps, too. ;)

I'm not sure how the mechanics of those tiles work so this might sound ignorant, but in the case of an Americas map with a clearly defined Jamaica, Atlantic, and Pacific Ocean, couldn't there be specific, distinct zones for sailing to various markets?

I for one almost never play on a randomly generated map, I like to recreate historic colonial empires, is there a way to make sure for example that the way to Port Royal is realistic? Either a Port Royal city or just a few coast tiles around Jamaica?

I don't get what's so special about Port Royal ? At the time of discovery there was no such thing and it was long gone before the American War of Independence ? Isn't it up to players to establish a Trade centre of such magnitude themselves. Some special buildings for only one colony that will allow you whatever you want from "Port Royal" ?

I don't get what's so special about Port Royal ?

It is simply part of our concept to have several "Europe-like" places to trade. :)
(With different demands, availability and prices.)

Simply trust us. :thumbsup:
(We will create something nice. :) )

I trust you. Maybe the name is bit confusing. As you have Europe and Africa already wouldn't third appropriate market be - i don't know - Asia maybe ? As i understand, the famous tea that was thrown to sea at Boston harbour was from there, was it not ?

I trust you. Maybe the name is bit confusing. As you have Europe and Africa already wouldn't third appropriate market be - i don't know - Asia maybe ? As i understand, the famous tea that was thrown to sea at Boston harbour was from there, was it not ?

Asia or Orient are total no goes for me.
(... and several other team members.)

This would simply cause way too many complications.

One problem would be, that we would need massive amounts of new yields to stay historically correct.
(Like Tea, Porcelain, Silk, Opium, ...)

So no, definitely no Asia or Orient in this mod, sorry. :dunno:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not demanding features for YOUR mod, i'm simply having a discussion. ;)
It's weird that you're concerned about historical accuracy while talking about a "Port Royal" that isn't even represented on the map. :crazyeye:

If you want to have several "Europe-like" ports, why not have exactly that. I know there was several ports in "the motherland" that were important trading with the New World. For England these were Liverpool, Plymouth and London, to name just a few. This was exactly the same for the rest of them. There was not just one port where all the goods and migrants lined up for shipping. :D I know you disagree but just think about it. :undecide:

Don't get me wrong, i'm not demanding features for YOUR mod, i'm simply having a discussion. ;)
It's weird that you're concerned about historical accuracy while talking about a "Port Royal" that isn't even represented on the map. :crazyeye:

If you want to have several "Europe-like" ports, why not have exactly that. I know there was several ports in "the motherland" that were important trading with the New World. For England these were Liverpool, Plymouth and London, to name just a few. This was exactly the same for the rest of them. There was not just one port where all the goods and migrants lined up for shipping. :D I know you disagree but just think about it. :undecide:

I agree with this. It's weird to establish Port Royal as a major trading port as if it was the major commercial hub of the Western Hemisphere. Why not have more than one European port to sail to? What about instead of sailing to 'Europe' you can sail to specific ports?

If Port Royal must be a center of trade, will there be other American ports? Will it be possible to trade in Havana? New York? Other real trade centers?

Don't worry so much about the details yet; it will probably be a while before these features can be added, since Release 1 is focusing on adding new yield types and Domestic Markets, and it seems that the modcomp that will allow separate maps is still being developed.

However, if I remember correctly, the Domestic Markets modcomp planned for integration with this mod does let each colonial settlement have local prices for each type of good. So if Havana and New York are some of these colonies, I think it could be possible to sail to them and trade with the AI player by using the standard diplomatic trade interface for trading with a city, as you can already do with native settlements.

Don't worry so much about the details yet; it will probably be a while before these features can be added, ...

Well said. :thumbsup:

It really does not make sense to start long discussions about this now.
Too many things can change until we start working on this.

We will discuss all the details, once we really start working on a feature.
Maybe we will not be using separate maps at all and go with the much simpler, existing and working concept of separate Europe/Africa/Port-Royal-Screens.

Also, please trust us a little to do a good job. :)
Most of our team members have been modding this game for several years.
We are currently 9 modders making decisions in consense, so usually something good will come out.

while playing this mod something struck me: I think having a storehouse for good in Europe would be quite handy. The colonists have the docks where they wait, the goods would have a warehouse.

Hi guys,

This could also be the base for having Several EuropeScreens or even Several Africa Screens.

A realistic concept of trading with many ports !
(Of course with different prices in thes ports.)

Sounds great Ray. I think you are right about not getting too hung up on the Port Royal thing for now. It only lasted for 174 years, and the game spans over 300 years. Besides it can be something the team talks about later.

I like the idea and if I may, I would like to throw one of mine that leads from this.

Would it be possible to have this concept with a wagon train? In other words, a port city where ships could not sail. The reasoning for this is that you could now add the Trading City of Cahokia into the mix, giving the player a trading screen that deals solely with Native American trade needs. I know in historical terms, this trade hub for the Native Americans was abandoned before Europeans arrived, but the general idea still stands. Or is simply trading with the current tribal cities sufficient?

Sorry for continuing the discussion as it seems it was winding down a bit, but just wanted to see the feedback on the suggestion.

It looks like the multimap modmod required for this is not getting finished for the foreseeable future, so we can't realistically make this feature. It could still be fun to have one or two special ports to sail to like in KJ Jansson's Africa & Port Royale mod, but only if it's straightforward to do that because there are already so many other priorities.

Top Bottom