[Religion and Revolution]: Drop in and say hallo ...

I am playing it! And I'd make a couple of suggestions from upping the animal unit strength to prevent, for example, a zealous firebrand preacher from actually winning a combat... or preventing everyone from entering the peak plots, not very realistic if you ask me. Anyway, keep coding... I'm loving it!

I am playing it! And I'd make a couple of suggestions from upping the animal unit strength to prevent, for example, a zealous firebrand preacher from actually winning a combat... or preventing everyone from entering the peak plots, not very realistic if you ask me. Anyway, keep coding... I'm loving it!

Dunpeal - If pioneers can't enter peak plots you can't obviously quarry for stone. Think of "peaks" as mountainous regions.
As for changing animal strength it can be done in civ4unitinfo.xml as per your taste.

Dunpeal - If pioneers can't enter peak plots you can't obviously quarry for stone. Think of "peaks" as mountainous regions.
As for changing animal strength it can be done in civ4unitinfo.xml as per your taste.
I meant that pionneer is fine just not every unit in the game (I'm remembering Fall of Heaven 2 for Civilization IV used a "Can enter peak" feature for the Dwarves).
I prefer not to touch files but thanks for the tip! ;)

I meant that pionneer is fine just not every unit in the game (I'm remembering Fall of Heaven 2 for Civilization IV used a "Can enter peak" feature for the Dwarves).
I prefer not to touch files but thanks for the tip! ;)

You can only enter it if you build a road. Otherwise it is impassible to most units. (If you want to make it impassable to every unit, i think you have to edit the following XML in Civ4TerrainInfos.xml and change the value to 1):
Spoiler :

Code:
<TerrainInfo>
   <Type>TERRAIN_PEAK</Type>
   <bImpassable>[B]0[/B]</bImpassable>

You can only enter it if you build a road. Otherwise it is impassible to most units. (If you want to make it impassable to every unit, i think you have to edit the following XML in Civ4TerrainInfos.xml and change the value to 1):
Spoiler :

Code:
<TerrainInfo>
   <Type>TERRAIN_PEAK</Type>
   <bImpassable>[B]0[/B]</bImpassable>

Hi dear Civ4Col fellow moders and players,

Mathieu here, 32 y.o., classic colonization fan, civilization fan as well (not edition V though). Big fan of Fall From Heaven and Fall Further Civ4 mods. I was hoping to find some really nice gameplay with Civ4Col and was clearly disapointed.

But, as a fan, I reinstalled it recently, replayed a bit, and went to the modding section here. RaR and TaC made my last week, and yes, the "just one more turn syndrom" is back.

Many thanks to the TaC and RaR teams for their job! Your mods guys, clearly make the game a waaay better ! I love the domination and industrial revolution endings, the new ressources, the new military units and the internal market features. Of course, I love the new founding fathers ! Overall, it makes the game different each time, and one needs to adapt...

I'm used to develop some tools for other games, and may wanna dig into some stuff here. What I would like to see improved is:

- the king stupidness (just try to keep being low on cash and he never gets any good money from you)
- some AI which is quite easy to counter (just run outside of the town and kill all ennemy cannon piles from outside to re-take the city)
- some random events that are totally unbalanced (the king giving you a Man-o-war, a uber-canon and an hessian is just to much at the start of a game)
- some export/import options that would allow/disable export to Europe
- remove those shipwreck stuff (i abuse them and they make the start of the game too easy, especially with a -50% required XP leader trait)

I'd like to see as well a more detailed map generation menu for map climate, size of islands etc... Civ4 Fall From Heaven and Fall Further mods do a pretty job on allowing a lot of options for example

Thanks guys :king:
See you

Hallo Mathiou,

thanks for your nice feedback. :)
It is nice to hear that you enjoy TAC and RaR, since I was part of these two big projects.

A few comments from my side:

Modding is a lot about personal taste.
The shipwrecks for example I really like and would not want to remove.

But people are free to change anything to their liking in their private versions or to create modmods.
Civ4Col is very modding friendly if you bring enough time and motivation.

No mod, even if it is as big as RaR, will ever be "perfect".
There will always be things that could be added or improved.

But currently development of the main mod of RaR does not continue.
However, there are several modmodders for RaR out there and it will be interesting to see what they will come up with.

Hey there,

Found this mod 1/2 year ago and have been playing it since then. I just want to let you know that you did an amazing job here. RaR is the reason I no longer consider Civ4-Col to have been a bad investment.

I woudn't have found this mod if the basegame weren't as it is so [sarcasm]cudos to the makers of the basegame for making it as it is[/sarcasm] - I never would have looked for a mod to make the game better if it had been a great game in the beginning :)

What I had hoped for when searching for mods was an improvement to make the game playable but you certainly did far more than that. You made one of my least favorite games into one of my most favorite games: :goodjob:

Kind Regards,
Michael

Recently got Colonization when it went on sale on Steam. Started looking for mods at once (got heavy into mods with Skyrim and suspected Colonization, which got meh reviews, could be improved a lot) and found TAC, then found that RaR was based on TAC. So I am learning the game for the first time using RaR! I have no idea how the vanilla game plays, LoL. Impressions: 1) there is SO much stuff here, takes a while to learn, but that is part of the fun. 2) the game play feels very good, lots of building/exploring options and the threat of disaster looming (which is what makes Civ fun imo). 3) Absolutely amazed at the effort put in here, many thanks.

One (infinitesimal) gripe...installing the mod requires me to create a directory name "Religion and Revolution" or whatever in Documents/My Games/Civilization IV Colonization/MODS...I thought this would automatic but perhaps it is because of different platforms (I am w7 x64), so my first try I extracted all to the .../MODS directory...not successful. What a noob.

I am thinking RaR is what Colonization should have been on release, but at least the game was created modifiable, so they did something good.

Thanks again! :)

I think Col RAR is more an overhaul like Skyrim Redone(Skyre) rather than a mod.

Overhauls are also mods. ;)

Generally I'd say there are 2 types of mods:

1) Overhauls (like TAC or RaR)
2) Total Conversions (like M:C or Colonization:2071)

Shouldn't it be 3? I think even a simple tweak of a ini file is a "mod".
1) A mod would change a few settings or textures or add a feature but would not change the gameplay itself.
2) Overhauls change the game massively and possibly the strategy of how you play a game.
3) Total Conversions are like playing a different game.

Generally "mod" (modification) simply says that something was modified / changed.
It does not yet tell you how much and what the idea behind the change was.

Thus people additionally describe their mods with terms like "big", "small", "XML only", "Total Conversion", ...

If a mod is heavily derived from an existing mod and only changes a few aspects, it is usually called "modmod".

There is also a differentiation between "modcomps" and "mods".
(Modcomps are usually an early version of a single feature or just a few features that modders want to share with other modders.)

The term "Overhaul" is not very common here in this community.
(I know that in other modding communities it is used much more often.)

Since changing only a few settings in XML is so incredibly easy, such simple changes are usually not even published separatly.
Other small changes are usually explicitly labeled as "Map", "Graphic", "Bugfix", ...

Thus generally almost eveybody here simply speaks about mods (and modmods).

RaR could be called "Overhaul" or "Overhaul mod" or "mod".
It is all the same for me. :dunno:

Hi guys, :wavey:

we would really like to know who is playing our mod. :)
So why not simply drop in and say "hallo" to the team.

Use this thread to have some discussions about the good and the bad.

There it is then, Hallo.

Hi guys,

Nice mod you guys came up with, really nice. I gave this Col a shot a few years back and was utterly disapointed and went back to playing the original game every now and then until 2-3 weeks ago, giving this one another shot, being severly disapointed again but somehow found this mod while checking the forums. It had alot of new stuff, seemed like alot of new stuff, which I liked, because I like alot of new stuff ;)

To everyone who participated in this mod, I say this is a job very well done.

Thanks, Mark.

Hello. I'm a Civ and col fan for 20 years.

This mod is an incredible work of detail.
Congratulations to the RAR and TAC team.

This mod is so awesome I want it to be as perfect as possible. As I have some profenciency in programming, I've studied the code and
I found why the Natives got so ridiculously furious when we tried to help them from an exterminating European power.

Spoiler :

Code:
int CvPlayerAI::AI_calculateStolenCityRadiusPlots(PlayerTypes ePlayer)
{
	PROFILE_FUNC();

CvPlot* pLoopPlot;
	int iCount;
	int iI;

FAssert(ePlayer != getID());

iCount = 0;

for (iI = 0; iI < GC.getMapINLINE().numPlotsINLINE(); iI++)
	{
		pLoopPlot = GC.getMapINLINE().plotByIndexINLINE(iI);

if (pLoopPlot->getOwnerINLINE() == ePlayer)
		{
			if (pLoopPlot->isPlayerCityRadius(getID()))
			{
				iCount++;
			}
		}
	}

return iCount;
}

int CvPlayerAI::AI_getCloseBordersAttitude(PlayerTypes ePlayer)
{
	if (m_aiCloseBordersAttitudeCache[ePlayer] == MAX_INT)
	{
		if (isNative())
		{
			return 0;
		}

if (getTeam() == GET_PLAYER(ePlayer).getTeam())
		{
			return 0;
		}

int iPercent = std::min(60, (AI_calculateStolenCityRadiusPlots(ePlayer) * 3));

if (GET_TEAM(getTeam()).AI_isLandTarget(GET_PLAYER(ePlayer).getTeam()))
		{
			iPercent += 40;
		}

m_aiCloseBordersAttitudeCache[ePlayer] = ((GC.getLeaderHeadInfo(getPersonalityType()).getCloseBordersAttitudeChange() * iPercent) / 100);
	}

return m_aiCloseBordersAttitudeCache[ePlayer];
}

int CvPlayerAI::AI_getStolenPlotsAttitude(PlayerTypes ePlayer)
{
	if (m_aiStolenPlotsAttitudeCache[ePlayer] == MAX_INT)
	{
		if (getTeam() == GET_PLAYER(ePlayer).getTeam())
		{
			return 0;
		}

if (!isNative())
		{
			return 0;
		}

int iStolenPlots = 0;
		for(int i=0;i<GC.getMapINLINE().numPlotsINLINE();i++)
		{
			CvPlot* pLoopPlot = GC.getMapINLINE().plotByIndexINLINE(i);
			if(pLoopPlot->getOwnerINLINE() == ePlayer && pLoopPlot->getCulture(getID()) > pLoopPlot->getCulture(ePlayer))
			{
				++iStolenPlots;
			}
		}

// change attitude by stolen plots per city
		m_aiStolenPlotsAttitudeCache[ePlayer] = GC.getLeaderHeadInfo(getPersonalityType()).getCloseBordersAttitudeChange() * iStolenPlots / std::max(getNumCities(), 1);
	}

return m_aiStolenPlotsAttitudeCache[ePlayer];
}

These functions are brutal, because they don't care if the offending city has just been razed, and the backlash is even more brutal if you help a Native victim from an extermination campaign.
There should be a way to heal the wounds for a caring european. I can think of a few.
- being able to buy back the lands.
- being able to just give back the freed lands to their rightful Native owners.
- giving an option the Indian to build back the ruined city.

This mod is an incredible work of detail.
Congratulations to the RAR and TAC team.

This mod is so awesome I want it to be as perfect as possible

Thanks. :)

- being able to buy back the lands.

In RaR, there is a DLL-Diplo-Event:
When you conquer the City of another European that has stolen plots from a Native, you are able to pay for the land.

Of course you should try to not push your borders too early too much.

Otherwise there are lots of possibilities to improve the attitude of Natives towards you.
(Missionaries, Trading, Events ...)

I personally never have big problems with Natives, once I get these features running.
So I really do not see any necessity to change anything there. :dunno:

Top Bottom