Most dominant unit question

Santa Maria

Warlord
What do you believe which unit dominates its era the most?

For example Legion is pretty dominant in the classical era, Ballista is also strong.

Thus Rome can dominate this era, what civ is the most dominant in each era?

What do you believe which unit dominates its era the most?

For example Legion is pretty dominant in the classical era, Ballista is also strong.

The Keshik is the most dominant unit of its era, hands down. I'll leave the explanation for someone else.

Comp. Bowmen
Any mounted Archer
Gatling Guns
Great War Bombers
Rocket Artillery
Stealth Bombers
Nuclear Missles

Naresuans elephant and Janissary

Hakkapelita

Comp. Bowmen
Any mounted Archer
Gatling Guns
Great War Bombers
Rocket Artillery
Stealth Bombers
Nuclear Missles

The first time I upgraded to rocket artillery was as America, during a HUGE conquest of sprawling Arabian lands... Was totally taken aback by it's power at the time.

The first time I upgraded to rocket artillery was as America, during a HUGE conquest of sprawling Arabian lands... Was totally taken aback by it's power at the time.

Yeah. An army comprised exclusively of Rocket Artillery, Cavalry, and Stealth Bombers will rule the world.

Cavalry? Why not Tanks or Modern Armor?

Because they don't do any fighting. They hang out until the city is at zero, then swoop in to take it. You could use those other units if you want to, I suppose.

Because they don't do any fighting. They hang out until the city is at zero, then swoop in to take it. You could use those other units if you want to, I suppose.

:: shrugs ::

Do Tanks and Modern Armor still have 5 movement in Gods and Kings? I think I'd prefer a 5 mp unit over the 4 mp Cavalry. :p

Ancient Era, the Huns: Battering Ram, Horse Archer. Way too strong, it's ridiculous really.

Classical Era, Rome: Ballista, Legion are a dominant force as long as you mine the iron straight away. You're spot on about that.

Industrial Era, Sweden: Hakkapeliitta, Caroleans. Caroleans are just great. Hakka's not as much but when you pair their mobility with Caroleons then you have a very strong army for this time period.

I can't really think of others civs with units in the same era (are there even any others?). As for individual civs, just check out the individual units elimination thread and that gives you a pretty good idea. However, I think there are a few exceptions:

Ranked 48/49: Maori Warrior. They are utilized to their full potential when you are playing a defensive, cultural game. Early on they destroy barbs camps like no other. When you unlock construction you build the moai and with the strength bonus you have a defensive fortress as long as your cities are built near the coast (with the moai culture/gold bonus, you want to build near the coast). For the offensive game, they are not nearly as strong but it's great that their bonuses are retained to the end.

Ranked 33/49: African Forest Elephant. Slightly more understandable as they aren't as low but if I can recall correctly they didn't get much love. Feared elephant bonus, i'm a big fan of. Great generals bonus, i'm a big fan of. They do have one less movement than the Horseman but the significant strength advantage more than makes up for it. Just a very solid all-around unit for its time.

Do Tanks and Modern Armor still have 5 movement in Gods and Kings? I think I'd prefer a 5 mp unit over the 4 mp Cavalry. :p

Yes, but they cost more, and there isn't much difference between 4 and 5 movement in the atomic age and later (See Panzer, reasons for being lackluster)

Ancient Era, the Huns: Battering Ram, Horse Archer. Way too strong, it's ridiculous really.

Classical Era, Rome: Ballista, Legion are a dominant force as long as you mine the iron straight away. You're spot on about that.

Industrial Era, Sweden: Hakkapeliitta, Caroleans. Caroleans are just great. Hakka's not as much but when you pair their mobility with Caroleons then you have a very strong army for this time period.

Classical Era: Greece. Companion Cavalry are underrated. Movement is much more valuable in this era of wide open spaces.

Modern Era: USA. B17s are filthy. Upgraded minutemen are arguably the best melee unit.

Yes, but they cost more, and there isn't much difference between 4 and 5 movement in the atomic age and later (See Panzer, reasons for being lackluster)

The amount of gold from conquests should more than pay for upgrading those Cavalry to their mechanized equivalents, no?

The amount of gold from conquests should more than pay for upgrading those Cavalry to their mechanized equivalents, no?

Sure, I guess, if you want to spend your money on that. I usually end up using lancers, not even cavalry.

I'd say for modern (G+K) the dominant is definatly France. There UU may have a short shelf life, but upgrade those suckers from musketeers, to Infantry, and you have an army of uber promoted superstrong Ironmen, and your just pissed off enough from losing ancien Regime to do something crazy with them...

I'd say for modern (G+K) the dominant is definatly France. There UU may have a short shelf life, but upgrade those suckers from musketeers, to Infantry, and you have an army of uber promoted superstrong Ironmen, and your just pissed off enough from losing ancien Regime to do something crazy with them...

I'm not seeing why other civilizations can't do something similar.

The only advantage French infantry units promoted from Musketeers will have over other Infantry units is the 20 percent combat bonus in foreign territory. The Musketeer bonus isn't passed on when Upgraded.

Top Bottom