Playing Tall: distance between cities?

I've got a related question to growing tall. If I want to go after a domination vic and all my cities are within 5 tiles (for example) of each other and the capital. How do I make aircraft hops, late game, if I don't found a least one city the proper distance to make the needed hops/attacks on other CS and Civs. Hmmmm. Understand? :crazyeye:

Is 7 tiles too far?
What is a general good ROT on playing tall?

If you can get 6 tiles between the cities that should be optimal seeing as the cities only work tiles 3 tiles out. But how often can you get the preferred distance considering other civs and CS locations? I normally have 4-5 tiles between my cities.

7 tiles isn't too far. For a rule of thumb I'd say 5-7 tiles is best.

It's really far more about where the good tiles will be available for each city. If that's 7 then that's 7. If it's 5, it's 5.

If you're playing tall you want each city to be able to work the full complement, so something nearer 6 or 7 is better if you can manage it, but not the be all and end all. If you're playing wide the cities will be smaller, so you can get away with 4-5 tiles more easily.

I've got a related question to growing tall. If I want to go after a domination vic and all my cities are within 5 tiles (for example) of each other and the capital. How do I make aircraft hops, late game, if I don't found a least one city the proper distance to make the needed hops/attacks on other CS and Civs. Hmmmm. Understand? :crazyeye:

aircraft have 8+ range in attack, which should be sufficient if you station them in border cities. as you take enemy cities, move the aircraft to the new cities to be closer to the line of combat, but only if you're certain it won't be taken by AI

Is 7 tiles too far?
What is a general good ROT on playing tall?

If you can get 6 tiles between the cities that should be optimal seeing as the cities only work tiles 3 tiles out. But how often can you get the preferred distance considering other civs and CS locations? I normally have 4-5 tiles between my cities.

7 tiles isn't too far. For a rule of thumb I'd say 5-7 tiles is best.

It's really far more about where the good tiles will be available for each city. If that's 7 then that's 7. If it's 5, it's 5.

If you're playing tall you want each city to be able to work the full complement, so something nearer 6 or 7 is better if you can manage it, but not the be all and end all. If you're playing wide the cities will be smaller, so you can get away with 4-5 tiles more easily.

It's whichever each city's best spot happens to be. If the best spot for city A is 7 tiles away while for city B it's 5 tiles away then that's what both of them are.

The only range limit is can you defend the far flung city if attacked?

In my current game I was scouting along with a ship and saw a beautiful site (1 Whales, 1 Spice, Horses, bonus tile) on its own landmass something like 13 hexes from my capital. Two turns later I saw that it's actually a 3 Whales site but at the same time it went from top of my list to right off the list because it meant that in addition to the 1 AI I knew about that a second AI was also already really close and so it was really undefendable at my difficulty level with the mod I'm using.

It's whichever each city's best spot happens to be. If the best spot for city A is 7 tiles away while for city B it's 5 tiles away then that's what both of them are.

The only range limit is can you defend the far flung city if attacked?

Should also take into account cost (and building time) on roads/railroads. And it have happened that when I have placed my cities to far from each other that another civ settle a city between my cities, even do it was not a good city location. Probably just to kick me in the nuts or something. They seem to like that.

Should also take into account cost (and building time) on roads/railroads. And it have happened that when I have placed my cities to far from each other that another civ settle a city between my cities, even do it was not a good city location. Probably just to kick me in the nuts or something. They seem to like that.

LOL!:lol:

Or have it be Coastal, so you just need a Harbor to city connect. (If really on the same landmass, the harbors will be more a time saver to allow city connection as for military purposes you'd probably want a road)

AI's criteria for settlement is much lower than the typical human (at least after they get beaten up a few times in their first Prince level games by the global happiness mechanic :whipped: in fact that's part of the reason the AI gets the happiness discounts compared to the human on Prince)
You might try modding the minimum city distance to increase by 1 which might have disallowed where the AI founded.

But the other factor is the algorithm does NOT consider the city radius of existing cities, it instead only checks to see if the nearby tile is already within a cultural boundary of one. So you can sometimes discourage the AI from founding a city in the middle by simply cash buying tiles in that direction reducing the number of unclaimed tiles.

You can also keep use the combo of closed borders and unit blocking to keep the AI away from that area.

Top Bottom