Webshops for Civilization V - List by country

I have a question about steam. I have never downloaded a game to play from steam, and I don't like the fact you have to pay more minus the physical media. I like to read the manual in book form and not on a screen. Here is my dilemma;

I am so desperate to play it I might forget the above for this title so I can play at 00:00 24th sept. I assume steam would allow me to do this unless their servers crash or something. I also asked in game and the guy said you sometimes get pre orders delivered early (happened to me with Win7). However due to the fact this title requires steam to register, would that mean I would not be able to play it early and would have to wait to 00:00hrs anyway? I may even just order it to a store so i'm guaranteed the game on the 24th. Phew!

I have a question about steam. I have never downloaded a game to play from steam, and I don't like the fact you have to pay more minus the physical media. I like to read the manual in book form and not on a screen. Here is my dilemma;

I am so desperate to play it I might forget the above for this title so I can play at 00:00 24th sept. I assume steam would allow me to do this unless their servers crash or something. I also asked in game and the guy said you sometimes get pre orders delivered early (happened to me with Win7). However due to the fact this title requires steam to register, would that mean I would not be able to play it early and would have to wait to 00:00hrs anyway? I may even just order it to a store so i'm guaranteed the game on the 24th. Phew!
Several points, I guess. There's no confirmation of a manual booklet with the DVD version, so even if you get the DVD it's highly likely that you'll have to read most of the manual on-screen, or guarantees you can pick it up on the 24th in store.

Personally I never understood the "must play at midnight (whatever timezone) or else the world will collapse". Having said that, Steam generally allows a game to be downloaded before the game actually comes out (especially since in US in comes out 3 days earlier than in Scotland) and then it will unlock on the date/time that it unlocks. Some webshops will ship on the 23rd so that indeed it's delivered to your home on the 24th, or guarantee that you can pick it up in store on the 24th.

Several points, I guess. There's no confirmation of a manual booklet with the DVD version, so even if you get the DVD it's highly likely that you'll have to read most of the manual on-screen, or guarantees you can pick it up on the 24th in store.

Personally I never understood the "must play at midnight (whatever timezone) or else the world will collapse". Having said that, Steam generally allows a game to be downloaded before the game actually comes out (especially since in US in comes out 3 days earlier than in Scotland) and then it will unlock on the date/time that it unlocks. Some webshops will ship on the 23rd so that indeed it's delivered to your home on the 24th, or guarantee that you can pick it up in store on the 24th.

Never even thought that it might not ship with booklet, since they have been so extensive in the past. The reason I want it then is I don't get alot of time to play Civ and i'm off that day and the next and have booked babysitting mother-in-law already! :devil:

Any new info if Ebgames/Gamestop Canada selling Special edition? I've called a few times and its not in their computers...lol

Any new info if Ebgames/Gamestop Canada selling Special edition? I've called a few times and its not in their computers...lol
If it's not on their computers and not on their site, then probably not yet, no. However, in Canada there are other cheap options for getting the Special Edition. At CAD 90 or even CAD 100 it's the cheapest Special Edition on the planet.

CDON has slashed the prices for the Special Edition by 20% to 25% (depending on the country).

Denmark - DKK 799.00 -> 599.00
Finland - .. EUR 99.95 -> . 79.95
Norway - NOK 899.00 -> 699.00
Sweden - SEK 999.00 -> 799.00

See the OP for links.

Hello all!

On the gamestop.ca site it's 49.99 CAD, but the pre-release date is listed as September 1st? I assume it is a mistake, I sent them an email and they confirmed it.

Maybe the date hasn't been updated?

http://www.gamestop.ca/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=255541
Hi Marsoups,

Welcome to CivFanatics. Clearly the release date for GameStop.ca should be 21 September. Someone must've forgotten a "2" somewhere. As September approaches, I'm sure someone will realize that mistake and fix it. But I'll add them to the list.

What a surprise to find such helpful information, and from my old friend Mercade! Thank you for compiling all of this, and it's good to see you around the internet!

Warmest regards,
Denbarra from Genesis

On Webhallen.com there is a clear description of what the pre-order "map packs mean". Thanks to Bluetooth to mentioning that Webhallen had increased its pre-order offer from 1 map to 3 maps..

Why the hell does Webhallen get 3 map packs and most everyone else is lucky to get one? I plan on ordering from Amazon.ca but I am more interested in the Mediterranean than Asia.

Bumped because of various additions (for links, see the OP):
- New country: Italy (one site including special edition)
- New country: Switzerland (5 sites including special edition)
- New sites (5) added for Germany

And ... the news the whole of the United Kingdom has been waiting for ...

The Special Edition is now available on play.com for UK and Europe!

Pricing is GBP 49.99 or EUR 69.99 including free shipping across Europe.

In addition, Play.com now offers the Cradle of Civilization: Mediterranian map pack as bonus with the regular edition (for GBP 26.99 / EUR 37.99 incl free shipping).

This makes there are now 10 different offers to choose from.

And ... the news the whole of the United Kingdom has been waiting for ...

The Special Edition is now available on play.com for UK and Europe!

Pricing is GBP 49.99 or EUR 69.99 including free shipping across Europe.

In addition, Play.com now offers the Cradle of Civilization: Mediterranian map pack as bonus with the regular edition (for GBP 26.99 / EUR 37.99 incl free shipping).

This makes there are now 10 different offers to choose from.

Mercade I think I love you! :goodjob:

I've never understood the point of preordering games. Why not just buy it the day it comes out at the store?

a) so you're guaranteed to get one; they won't run out before you get there

b) so you don't have to leave the house to get it, in case you wanna say goodbye to civ 4 or something

c) with amazon anyway, if you preorder early enough, you got a shot at getting a lower than advertised price - if the price changes at any point after you pre-order, you gett he lowest of all the prices

Mercade I think I love you! :goodjob:
You're welcome. Let's settle for a forum hug, if that's OK with you ;)

Btw, for those Europeans who didn't do the math, or didn't realize. If you buy from Play.com you can also choose to pay in GBP and have it delivered (I've done that before). At an exchange rate of about 1.22 that means that the Special Edition can be yours for as little as EUR 61.20 and the Regular Edition (incl map) for EUR 33.00.

It may not give you release day delivery, but it's mighty cheap (and in English for people who worry about the language).

Anyone knows if there will be a booklet, tech map etc. included in the DVD regular edition?

If it's only comes with a DVD and nothing else, I might as well buy a download edition and then get the game 3 days before...

Top Bottom