Paratrooper - 6/29/2007

NavyDawg

Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
Here is a WWII era paratrooper. He probably fits as a US unit better than other countries with the Thompson SMG. I made the parachute from primitives and finally figured out how to add morphs with the magnets to make the cloth move. Work animation is included so he can dig a foxhole.

This is an M3 based model. I changed the xScale and yScale of the main camera to make him shorter to fit in with other humanoids. I think this is a good way to scale M3, as all conforming clothes can be used without any rescaling.

Download here.

Was he intended to replace the white guy?

I think the "white guy" was an industrial unit, then went to the modern age with one of the expansions. I'm not sure, as I've only played C3C. Replace whoever you want with him.

I was cleaning up my civ files a few days ago and accidentally deleted the paratrooper. Instead of reinstalling, I figured I'd make my own (I never really liked Firaxis units anyway).

Nice job!
So Zulu`s method doesn`t work well?

It works with most conforming figures, but I have had some problems with shoes and other things (shoes are always a pain). I can also apply this method to V3 and Apollo, to make them fit better with PDM.

What is he eating? :D

In one of the frames it looks like he put something in his mouth.

Nice looking unit by the way.

Purty darn good job, raight there, m'boy! Oorah!

Very cool. I think the parachute came out very well. And I like the digging action. Maybe will stop bugging Plotinus and ask you to make a combat engineer instead. =)

Top-class unit....the digging of foxholes is a great idea.

Very nice! :thumbsup:

My one question, is that his left arm seems to be a bit thin in comparison to other units when he is shooting his gun. Is this just me being confused, or is it actually normal sized?

Yes he does although I am attached to the PDM. Did you use the M3 mor-ph? Or is he an unmorphed M3? BTW I forgot to say good job on this unit.

This is my new favorite unit. :D

Another fantastic unit! I don't know how you do it. This one will definitely be much used.

I made the parachute from primitives and finally figured out how to add morphs with the magnets to make the cloth move.

That is really clever, and it's worked excellently. What exactly is the parachute made of - a sphere?

It works with most conforming figures, but I have had some problems with shoes and other things (shoes are always a pain). I can also apply this method to V3 and Apollo, to make them fit better with PDM.

Here's a tip for shoes that I've just worked out. If a pair of shoes are a conforming figure but won't conform properly to your model (because you squished it, or you are using a different model), just export them as two 3DS models and then import them as props. Then you can resize or squish them, move them into position, and just parent them to the feet. Another good thing with shoes is that if they don't fit exactly you can just make the feet invisible; it looks fine at civ scale.

Excellent unit, NavyDawg! Your units are such high quality, who can complain?

Nice unit. I really like the grenade throw.

Top Bottom