Star Control 2 - Creation Thread

Hans99, thank you for the report. The screenshot looks interesting. :)

It´s no problem to run Civ 2 ToT with Win7 64. I do the same without any complaints. You only need a special patch that is -if I remember well- also available at CFC.

@Civinator

I already use the 64 patch for ToT. The problem is with utilities like civ tweak and civ city, which still do not work under 64. But thanks for the tip.

Dismounted my old Desktop Tower today and made a totally new setup, new mainboard, new graphics card, new Harddisk, new Keyboard, new mouse, new Desktop Housing etc, hell those new Fans are incredible, i don't hear a thing. My old Tower was very noisy but now i can hear angels sing :). Does anyone need some old 5 1/4 Inch disk drive ? Cause i still got one, even some disks with old doom stuff on them laying around...

@ Tanelorn

What`s Gehenna ?

Literally, a place outside Jerusalem. Metaphorically the "outer darkness" in the scripture. Hell.

Another question, do ships have the ability to use the transporter to other maps ? Wasn't there a extra ability that allowed unis to freely transport from map to map ? It has been a long time since i played the midgard scen...

Ships can use both options to move between maps. They can use "teleporters" or wormwholes and so on and they can move by themselves between different maps, if they have the proper settings. Both options are used in my new SciFi game for Civ 2 ToT:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=421505

Thanks for the Info Civinator. This comes handy, as the extra ability will be good to display the interdimensional ability of the Arilouleeleay.

About your SciFi Game, i will take a look at it. Nice idea melting Cylons, kilrathi, Startreck,etc... when i was a kid in my fantasy i also used to mix up the diffreent sciene fiction universes.

Thanks for the Info Civinator. This comes handy, as the extra ability will be good to display the interdimensional ability of the Arilouleeleay.

About your SciFi Game, i will take a look at it. Nice idea melting Cylons, kilrathi, Startreck,etc... when i was a kid in my fantasy i also used to mix up the diffreent sciene fiction universes.

In my SciFi game there are two minor errors. In the rules I posted I forgot to disable the goodyhuts and with the event for the wonder Wormhole-Navigation I missed one line for enabling the ringship "Point Of" of the Ren Dhark series. I will do an update to fix both minor errors.

Progress is in snail mode, real life is keeping me occupied.

Btw i cannot access stormoverciv.net?

UPDATE: Can access stormoverciv now.

To be honest, i didn't work on any ToT project for the last three months, people want to get rid of their EUROS and invest in Housing/Estates like crazy.

The project is still under development, graphics are up so far.

Maybe help is needed in the organisation of the different star systems.

Inspiration is always good, for i till now have not made any thoughts about a tech tree. Any Idea is welcome

Your idea was to create all star systems (normal terrain) close to each other on one map (map1), surrounded and therefore seperated from each other by impenetrable terrain (ocean). But you can leave the star systems (map1) via gates and start star trekking (map2 - normal spacetravel, not hyperspace) in order to travel from one system to the other. Quasispace should be an own map, including invisible railroad tracks and only available to a restricted number of vessels, the flagship, Arilou, Orz. Colony ships are OK, but maybe shouldn't be able to leave their home star systems. Great ideas.

Hyper- and quasispace maps should only have tight tunnels connecting the systems, increasing the chance of encounters there.

Some star systems should also contain ressources or Melnorm traders or even lifeforms (all units with 0 defending capability and no chance to leave the system) that give you credits or special techs.

A tech tree is hard to integrate in this game, it will alter the StarCon2 concept completely. Maybe you can slightly change the image of your upgraded flagship when you get better cannons (Leonardo's?) or another idea: exchange the normal fleet ship to be produced in less time (with less ressources).

Wouldn't it be better to give all minor races to the barbarians? So each system would produce only their native ship type? And if you conquer/destroy their capital planet/unit, you'll get the necessary tech to produce that ship. (Event: the capital planet reappears and belongs to the attacker-civ, meaning a race's system can switch sides several times if another civ destroys that unit). If the units are classified as attacking units, the AI won't pay a lot of attention on placing piles of units inside the cities to defend them, only a single one. All the others would roam in space.

And the major races should be civs able to gain a better ship later in the game (e.g. Chmmr & Chenjesu, Humans, UrQuan) or simply modified and bigger drawn unit images including weapon fire.

Another idea would be to classify your flagship as a helicopter unit, which constantly loose hit points if there is no starbase/city. This means you could travel a lot without outposts, but the chance of getting a critical hit would rise, too. So you need friendly cities in outer space to keep the ship in good condition for attacking other civs.

A very new and fresh idea how to exploit star systems by stripping them off of all resources: Place units that look like planets and moons in empty star systems. If you destroy them (e.g. only landers can do that), they disappear and in the end the star system is empty - no possibility to colonize (terrains with food 0 production) and no reason to visit that system again - it gets worthless no matter which side you're playing! Different planets would be differently hard to defeat (defense capability), but the profit grows, too. The harder to destroy, the more you can earn (or your panet lander bites in the dust). And because of the 0 food production and void no one can colonize that system if you allow the settler units to travel through Quasispace, too.

If you post your graphics, maybe I can help to get it going.

Also, Hans, um es kurz zu machen:
Ich kann mit einigem aushelfen: Sternenkarte - wobei ich Normalraum und Hyperspace in einer Karte kombinieren würde und den Bewegungsmalus im Normalraum erhöhen würde (z.B. auf 2 oder 3).
Ich habe schon Grafiken von einzelnen Rassen erstellt, die man als Heimwelt-Einheiten benutzen könnte (werden diese angegriffen kann man per Event-file weitere erstellen, dann würde sich der Plot wie bei einer Schnitzeljagd entwickeln). Diese Einheiten werden - falls angegriffen sofort wiedererschaffen und ein besonderes Event nur ausgelöst, wenn der Angriff von den Erdlingen erfolgt. Sie könnten auch Lufteinheiten einer inaktiven (und nicht ansprechbaren Sa-Matra civ sein) sein, und nur das Flaggschiff dürfte diese Lufteinheiten vernichten - oder besser das Flaggschiff wird per Event zu einer neuen Einheit hochgestuft, die auch Lufteinheiten angreifen kann (wie z.B. das Sklavenschild über die Chmmr-Heimatwelt).
Allianzwelten würde ich nur als Units erscheinen lassen, damit Events ausgelöst werden können. Ihre Schiffe lassen sich als Barbareneinheiten per Zufallsevent in deren Heimatsystemen erschaffen und man selber kann sie in eigenen Kolonien bauen, wenn man deren Heimatwelt-Unit zerstört hat (Tech durch Event). Gegner wie Vux, Umgah und Mycon könnten hingegen als Civs oder produzierende Barbarenstädte auftauchen - und daher aktiv mitkämpfen und auch unterworfen werden.
zum Tech-Tree: Nur reduziert halten, einige wichtige Sachen integrieren (Fabriken, Loyalität, vereinzelt Wunder - von Techs, die man durch die Zerstörung der Melnormeeinheiten erhält).
Also, was soll ich übernehmen:
kombinierte Sternenkarte, Design von Einheiten (bin gerade eh schon dabei), Tech-Tree, Plot oder soll ich gar das ganze Projekt übernehmen?

Top Bottom