Korea and Ancient Wonders DLC Video!

or phoenicia

The good news is Carthage would be invaluable for a modder, since they can recycle the audio files for Phoenicia (I know Western Punic vs. Eastern Phoenician, but close enough). Phoenicia is a very naval power (Carthage is too, but has other strengths). Considering they've released the Danes and Polynesians and will likely release the Dutch some day, that pulls away from Phoenicia. It's also currently represented by two city-states. Obviously that's clearly not enough to rule it out, but I don't expect it.

My hope is a Carthage/Celts double pack. I think Carthage is the more deserving, but the Celts are far easier to produce. It's far easier to find a Gaelic speaker (even if just modern Irish) than a Punic speaker. I also think the Civ would sell well. People like Celtic things, it's very much a part of American culture. Plus, a Rise of Rome scenario is always popular. Maybe they can release it in March to coincide with St. Patrick's Day.

My hope is a Carthage/Celts double pack. I think Carthage is the more deserving, but the Celts are far easier to produce. It's far easier to find a Gaelic speaker (even if just modern Irish) than a Punic speaker.

Hmm. Celts were never really a united culture. They ranged from Ireland to Turkey and had many local variations in language and culture. While I'd like to see them, I'm not sure they qualify quite as well as the Carthaginians as a civ. Having Irish as their language would not be represented of Celtdom in general, neither now nor 2000 years ago.

I also think the Civ would sell well. People like Celtic things, it's very much a part of American culture. Plus, a Rise of Rome scenario is always popular. Maybe they can release it in March to coincide with St. Patrick's Day.

"Celtic things" in the US seems to translate to vaguely Oirish kitsch that would have been embarrasingly twee even 50 years ago. It has little relation to the aforementioned wide diversity of Celtic subcultures.

I was talking about sales there. They don't qualify as much as Carthage, but I think they do qualify to be included in the game and a double pack would do quite well. They logically go together just like Spain and the Inca did.

However, that being said, I do think the Celtic culture was interesting and political unification is not necessary to constitute a civilization (Polynesians being a good example in Civ5, Mayans an excellent example in Civ 3 and 4). Their culture spread across a vast distance (we're talking Spain to Bulgaria, more or less).

As for all that Irish stuff played up. I agree. It doesn't mean Firaxis can't engage in a touch of superficiality. This isn't Europa Universilis. People expect a bit of cheese in a Civ game (everything from Civ2's advisers to leaderheads in Civ3 and 4). And modern Irish is the most common derivative of the ancient language. They didn't use medieval Danish for Harald did they?

So I am sure everyone has already figured this out, but just last night it occurred to me why we had seen all those rumors a few months ago about an "Ancient Korea" civ. Someone must have gotten word that there would be an Ancient Wonders/Korea civ DLC combo pack and gotten confused or lost something somewhere in the translation. :lol:

So I am sure everyone has already figured this out, but just last night it occurred to me why we had seen all those rumors a few months ago about an "Ancient Korea" civ. Someone must have gotten word that there would be an Ancient Wonders/Korea civ DLC combo pack and gotten confused or lost something somewhere in the translation. :lol:

You are absolutely right.
It was on the Wikipedia Civ V page briefly.
It might have been a confusion with the German guy or maybe just a leak.

And modern Irish is the most common derivative of the ancient language.

True.

They could also go for Welsh, which would be closer if they go for Boudica again. It really depends on what region of celtic culture they focus on. Gaelic works for a Scottish/Irish-oriented civ, which could also give them a medieval or renaissance UU. Welsh would be the best for an ancient British civ. The jury would be out if they were going for Gaul (with Vercingetorix or whoever): is there enough knowledge of ancient Gallic to do a voice-over?

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to Korea; I'm especially glad they found room for both the Hwach'a and the Turtle ship.

I hope to see the same quality of static leaderheads featured in the 1066 scenario in the Wonders... scenario. Although considering most of the civs' leaders are already in the game (Ramesses, Alex et al) it seems unlikely they'll bother. Nebuchadnezzar will probably be subbed in for Gilgamesh/Muwatallis, but God knows who they'll drag in for the other. :/

150$??? even if somehow they release dlc's that add up to 150$, theyre only asking for a few bucks for THEIR time and effort (Yes, They have job like the rest of the world). 5 bucks at MOST per DLC every 2-4 months adding up to 150$ isnt bad man.

Unless Civ 6 is coming out in a year and a half, that's going to be one DLC every 2-3 months meaning about 8 more DLCs by 2012-2013... at least another 60 bucks right there on top of all the stuff that we have gotten up until this point.

But I can hardly blame them. I can understand overpricing the civs... but 2.50$ for buildings is a joke no ifs ands or buts... It's like how you play in the game. Some times you give a friendly civ a lump sum in exchange for more GPT over 25 turns. You are jipping the AI because it is a dumb*** that doesn't know any better.

True.

They could also go for Welsh, which would be closer if they go for Boudica again. It really depends on what region of celtic culture they focus on. Gaelic works for a Scottish/Irish-oriented civ, which could also give them a medieval or renaissance UU. Welsh would be the best for an ancient British civ. The jury would be out if they were going for Gaul (with Vercingetorix or whoever): is there enough knowledge of ancient Gallic to do a voice-over?

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to Korea; I'm especially glad they found room for both the Hwach'a and the Turtle ship.

I hope to see the same quality of static leaderheads featured in the 1066 scenario in the Wonders... scenario. Although considering most of the civs' leaders are already in the game (Ramesses, Alex et al) it seems unlikely they'll bother. Nebuchadnezzar will probably be subbed in for Gilgamesh/Muwatallis, but God knows who they'll drag in for the other. :/

They could go for Breton with Vercingetorix, the only live Celtic language outside of the British islands. Though, I don't think it's a direct successor to Gaulish.

Again, there is a civ V rants thread for people who want to complain about DLC prices.
Maybe someone should make a DLC prices are dumb thread.
But this is getting pretty annoying.
The thread is about Korea and WOTAW, not how much they cost or should cost.
I am not trying to be rude.

Again, there is a civ V rants thread for people who want to complain about DLC prices.
Maybe someone should make a DLC prices are dumb thread.
But this is getting pretty annoying.
The thread is about Korea and WOTAW, not how much they cost or should cost.
I am not trying to be rude.
Interestingly the price is directly connected to the DLC, that is how you acquire it after all.

Hwacha...ok
Turtleship...ok
Scholars of Jade hall...what?

I'm Korean myself and I have no idea what this "Jade Hall" is referring to.

I googled the word but only got civ5 articles :confused:

First find, when entering "Jade hall Korea -Civilization".

It seems to be somthing, Koreans can be proud of and should know...

Thanks for that.

But Believe me I knew about this place. I bet all Koreans do.

I just didn't know it'd be translated to "Jade Hall" in English.
In Korean we call it "집현전"(Geep-Hyun-Geon). Which means, "A Place where the smart gather"

Granted, if it stated the 'Scholars of Geep-Hyun-Geon', no one but Koreans would understand it, but still...I don't see how this can be translated into "Jade Hall".

I don't see why this is worth talking about any more than that.

If you compare what you had for a specific price just 3-4 years ago, you have to come to the conclusion that the decision of the devout deep pocket minority has an impact on the content freely available to the majority (those that, as you say, decide not to buy the DLC). Yes, I would be surprised if even 15-20% of the people owning the game actually buy full price DLC as it comes out (a civ forum is not a good indication of the general owners' population). Yet the minority still makes the model worth it for the company, to the detriment of the rest. Frankly it's a lost cause now.

Thanks for that.

But Believe me I knew about this place. I bet all Koreans do.

I just didn't know it'd be translated to "Jade Hall" in English.
In Korean we call it "집현전"(Geep-Hyun-Geon). Which means, "A Place where the smart gather"

Granted, if it stated the 'Scholars of Geep-Hyun-Geon', no one but Koreans would understand it, but still...I don't see how this can be translated into "Jade Hall".

집현전... I'm sure I've heard that translated more often as Hall of worthies or academy of worthies or some such in linguistics texts.

Annoyingly enough 집현전 can also be romanised as Cheep-Hyeon-Jeon which is something like how I remember hearing it the first time.

Top Bottom