New to civ, who to start with

I'm a newbie too.
I'd like to use a civ which has some flexibility-which I assume eliminates Mongolia.

I'd like to be either the Americans/Iroquis/Shoe/Denmark/Greece....any of these would you recommend to avoid?

I'm a newbie too.
I'd like to use a civ which has some flexibility-which I assume eliminates Mongolia.

I'd like to be either the Americans/Iroquis/Shoe/Denmark/Greece....any of these would you recommend to avoid?

There isn't any civ that I would personally discourage to use. If the difficulty is too high then just play at a lower one until you learn how to build and manage your empire, that's going to affect your chances of success a lot more.

Americans and Iroquois aren't really among the best civs out of there, but choosing them isn't going to make your game particularly hard either.

You need to keep in mind that CIVs have bonuses but don't have maluses of sort (except Venice and India), so Genghis Khan could win a cultural\diplomatic\scientific victory as much as easily as the Iroquis or Americans, you'd just not make a relevant use of its major perks (geared toward conquest).

Play as Venice.
Get rich from trade routes.
Spend gold on CS.
So much profit.

Promoting to composites is working as intended. Units have to return to your borders after researching optics to get the embarkation promotion

Units just have to return to friendly territory to get the embarkation promotion. Any friendly CS will do. Also any civ with open borders, but that's unlikely at the Optics stage.

Units just have to return to friendly territory to get the embarkation promotion. Any friendly CS will do. Also any civ with open borders, but that's unlikely at the Optics stage.

Friendly CS or any civ with open borders?

I thought they only meant my territory. This is news to me.

I'm a newbie too.

Out of that list, I think Greece is the easiest to use. Their UA is pretty strong, but largely passive, which is good when you're just starting out. Their UUs aren't bad either; the Hoplite can be very useful for defense in case you have an aggressive neighbor and the Companion Cav can eliminate those pesky Barb camps pretty easily (just beware of Spear/Pikemen).

As for the others, they're pretty generic, which I think is good for someone starting out. As someone said about the Iroquois, they're relatively weak on standard maps since they rely heavily on forests. Now on say, an Arboria map, the Iroquois will shine.

In regards to the Shoshone, they're a good "second game" civ IMHO. Their bonuses are great for anyone, but once you've played a game, you know what's more valuable from the ruins and generally have a better idea about citizen/city management if tiles.

I'd also recommend China, which is arguably one of the stronger Civilizations. They can either steamroll with the extra Great General power and Chu's, or turtle up and be extremely defensive with extra Citadels and again, the Chu's. The early gold certainly doesn't hurt either, especially since it's rather hard to come by initially.

EDIT: I was also unaware that it would work with City-States and other Civs you had open borders with. Has that always been the case?

Out of that list, I think Greece is the easiest to use. Their UA is pretty strong, but largely passive, which is good when you're just starting out. Their UUs aren't bad either; the Hoplite can be very useful for defense in case you have an aggressive neighbor and the Companion Cav can eliminate those pesky Barb camps pretty easily (just beware of Spear/Pikemen).

As for the others, they're pretty generic, which I think is good for someone starting out. As someone said about the Iroquois, they're relatively weak on standard maps since they rely heavily on forests. Now on say, an Arboria map, the Iroquois will shine.

In regards to the Shoshone, they're a good "second game" civ IMHO. Their bonuses are great for anyone, but once you've played a game, you know what's more valuable from the ruins and generally have a better idea about citizen/city management if tiles.

I'd also recommend China, which is arguably one of the stronger Civilizations. They can either steamroll with the extra Great General power and Chu's, or turtle up and be extremely defensive with extra Citadels and again, the Chu's. The early gold certainly doesn't hurt either, especially since it's rather hard to come by initially.

EDIT: I was also unaware that it would work with City-States and other Civs you had open borders with. Has that always been the case?

If it has been always working with Friendly CS and other civs with open borders ever since Vanilla, I'm going to be ticked. :mad:

Ok. Maybe being ticked about it was too much.

BUT REALLY??? REALLY????

Greece is very good towards the end game with City States (well earlier if you can manage). You can snap up and keep quite a few if you get your economy right.

My suggestion is England (provided map has sea or sth) . Although their bonuses are domination-related you can achieve any victory with them if you grab one capital or two (especially at that difficulties). Moreover you will start understanding the importance of some things like naval units and movement, spies, 1 extra range of your range units and the usefulness of eliminating 1-2 opponents ( in order to achieve w/e you want)

RANDOM

Really. Let the dice roll, then role play the CIV according to it's description. The only reroll I could think of would be France...too much messing about with great works.

Enjoy :)

What about Ethiopia? They can get a religion pretty fast and their UA and UU are suited for defense.

Top Bottom