Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
homersheineken said:
Hello,
I just noticed that the Secret Police HQ doesn't create any unhappy faces. Should it?
That's an interesting idea... It would produce a dilemma of corruption vs. unhappiness for communist nations.

Rhye said:
That would be cool, but then I'm not sure that every player or AI will upgrade to the Cruiser.
Make the Cruiser sufficiently and appropriately powerful and nobody will want the damn free Frigates... Any post-ironclad ship should be able to easily tear apart the rest anyway.
And even though I know very little about naval warfare, I saw once on TV a shwo about the development of modern ships, and one important thing about the Dreadnought was that it was so powerful and had to be built from scratch, and that meant that every country suddenly could become a naval power if it could produce enough of them. And so I propose that nothing should upgrade to the DN.

Rhye said:
Then you have to upload it.

Who was having that space, is it enough for this zip?
For this kind of huge file I think the best way to distribute it would be via p2p sharing... eMule would be the easiest to do it with, but BitTorrent may be better for the job.
It's just kinda impossible to email the file to anyone...
So MM, you should just make sure the installer is ready for use, and then set it up for sharing in eMule and send me a link. I can start downloading right away, and then when we have two sources (me and you) we can have other people download it from us, and quickly it will spread and become more readily available.

homersheineken said:
Hello,
I just noticed that the Secret Police HQ doesn't create any unhappy faces. Should it?
That's an interesting idea... It would produce a dilemma of corruption vs. unhappiness for communist nations.

Rhye said:
That would be cool, but then I'm not sure that every player or AI will upgrade to the Cruiser.
Make the Cruiser sufficiently and appropriately powerful and nobody will want the damn free Frigates... Any post-ironclad ship should be able to easily tear apart the rest anyway.
And even though I know very little about naval warfare, I saw once on TV a shwo about the development of modern ships, and one important thing about the Dreadnought was that it was so powerful and had to be built from scratch, and that meant that every country suddenly could become a naval power if it could produce enough of them. And so I propose that nothing should upgrade to the DN.

Rhye said:
Then you have to upload it.

Who was having that space, is it enough for this zip?
For this kind of huge file I think the best way to distribute it would be via p2p sharing... eMule would be the easiest to do it with, but BitTorrent may be better for the job.
It's just kinda impossible to email the file to anyone...
So MM, you should just make sure the installer is ready for use, and then set it up for sharing in eMule and send me a link. I can start downloading right away, and then when we have two sources (me and you) we can have other people download it from us, and quickly it will spread and become more readily available.

EDIT: Was having internet problems so I only saw that EW can let MM upload it directly now, after I posted the post. Anyway, it would still be cool to distribute the installer via p2p, in addition to using a direct download.

Three_Crowns said:
They would if they upgrades to something that is still usefull.
Then maybe they shouldn't upgrade? I think it would be better than way than it would be if don't have SoL enslaving just because we want the Frigate to upgrade...
Or the Frigate could upgrade to the Ironclad which would make it mildly useful but not so much so once Cruisers come around. (As long as Ironclads are a dead end.)

in Rhye's of Civilization Expansion pack v1.01.biq
the improvement Monastery produces no happy face but Civilopedia says it can produce three

Blasphemous said:
Then maybe they shouldn't upgrade? I think it would be better than way than it would be if don't have SoL enslaving just because we want the Frigate to upgrade...
Or the Frigate could upgrade to the Ironclad which would make it mildly useful but not so much so once Cruisers come around. (As long as Ironclads are a dead end.)

I think Ironclads should be the new start of the line, and upgrade to dreadnought.

I don't want enslavement for SoL for other gameplay reasons, too. I wanted to leave that ability to privateers and UUs (Man-o-war and Gallivat)

Iron clads weren't the start of a new line as you put it... they were older ships 'clad' in iron at the beginning so frigates should indeed upgrade to ironclads (I'm thinking the USS Virginnia).

However, there did quickly become a point where old upgrades didn't work anymore, the HMS Warrior (the 'black snake') was a totally different kind of ship, yes it was still wooden... but it its design couldn't be much further removed from the old style ships.

So... unless you add a short lived class of 'Ironclad Steamers' which are replaced by the very short lived (in reality) dreadnaughts... then not upgrading the frigates to ironclads does make sense.

However... you should say that an ironclad couldn't upgrade to a dreadnaught after all... the ironclad is still wooden under the metal skin... the dreadnaught isn't.

I still think that Frigates should enslave, since that was one of their functions in European navies. To hunt down and sink enemy ships of take them as prize. Afterall, this was cheaper than building new ships.

Could we increase the base cost of the SoL? Kind of like the battleship in the next age, the cost of these monsters should be almost prohibitive.

Also, for Ironclads is the thought that these are the ironlcads of the American Civil War like the CSS Manassas, CSS Virginia and USS Monitor? Or iron plated sailing ships. The reason that I ask is that the Monitor and Manassas were not dsigned to be used in the open sea. If we are talking iron plated sialing ships, then the open seas should be just fine.

Rhye, lower speed doesn't necessarily mean it's a downgrade, and it may be realistic... Anyway, when the Ironclad comes in we should see a period of drastic changes in naval combat, leading up to the even more drastic changes that the Dreadnought created.
But I think it is vital for historical accuracy that nothing upgrades to Dreadnought. Ironclad can upgrade to something else, but not to Dreadnought.

Hi again. Firstly I want to say how much I respect what is happening at this forum. Trying to make things historical is really a completely unique idea in gaming and it is great that players will have the choice to play something historical for once.

I have a lot of points to make about military sailing ships.

It should be stressed that capturing ships was the driving force of the large navies at the end of the 1700s. Captains wanted to fight for their country in order to gain prize money. As England had completely depleted its source of Oak trees in England by 1800, the English were desperate to increase their shortage of ships by capturing. Crews went in by boats at night time into harbours and stole ships from underneath enemy gun emplacements. This was how the navies of the world worked. Every navy did this and it was not just the exclusive role of privateers. A privateer was a vessel (of any type) that a wealthy investor bought to use for capturing prizes. This was all about money, where as service in the navy could mean duties involving mail dispatches, troop transport or convict transport that only paid the monthly wage.

It is interesting for me to note that frigates seem to upgrade into destroyers, rather than modern frigates. The majority of any decent sized navy is still made up of frigates, whose role is still to scout and patrol. Smaller navies that can't even afford frigates mostly use patrol boats around coastal areas and this might be something worth thinking about. Maybe upgrade your ancient age coastal boat to the more modern patrol boat at the right time? I see that destroyers (which are basically just big frigates) are probably unnecessary as the role they probably fulfill is actually the role of modern frigates. Frigates are modern sub-hunters. Cruisers shouldn't replace battleships, but they did make them redundant. Guided missiles that can now fire 250nm make the 25nm range of the best battleships redundant. The modern age shouldn't have battleships (although it is fine if they are still floating around ie. USS Missouri). Modern navies are centred around aircraft carriers, with cruisers acting as anti-air and anti-shipping and frigates acting as picket defences against subs. In my opinion destroyers shouldn't exist in the modern age either.

All ships have the ability to carry troops but it was rare for a battle machine like a SoL being given the task of transporting. It was more common for a frigate sized vessel or smaller to have transported soldiers. Merchant vessels especially were converted for transport duty or in the case of the invasion that Napolean was planning he was going to use small barges. The Spanish used the Galleon to transport soldiers during the Armada which was exceptional circumstances due to the fact that the ships were meant to fight in the English Channel and then invade England. The Galleon was a Spanish fighting ship, not a transport. The images that you showed me Rhye don't appear to have a Galleon shaped vessel anyway. It would be more historically accurate to still use the same animation and call it a merchant vessel, or transport if you want. I think an issue you may be having is finding special names for every vessel that covers what every nation would have called it. Maybe an early sailing vessel could be merely be called "Sailing ship" (similar to the naming of the Scout ship) rather than Junk (which was a style of rigging used in the Orient).

I believe a Man-O-War should be a frigate sized vessel as it was more common to call frigates or smaller MOW. The largest ship image should definetly be the SoL. The third image (the second largest ship) has lines that suggest it is a Fleut (a Dutch merchant/fighting vessel). This could be used as the transport class. The other two images that are smaller could be the frigate and the MoW. The MoW should be a frigate that reflects the skills of the British (rate of fire especially and maybe faster coastal movement to reflect better training). As enslave should be done by all sailing vessels, it shouldn't be unique for the MoW. I have been told that privateers already have the ability to hide their nationality, and that is probably all the abilities the privateer should have over the frigate. They are not unique ships.

I have more to say but I understand that people have a life outside of reading my post :)

Feel free to ask anything further (if you dare :lol: ).
Samart

I agree with Blas. I suggest:
galleass->frigate->ironclad->destroyer
SoL->cruiser
dreadnought->battleship

Edit: Just read Samart's post - so maybe this post is irrelevant. :)

Perhaps the Man-O-War should be just a Frigate with Blitz and an increased cost? A blitzing naval unit would be HIGHLY valuable, since it would be able to execute as much as ten attacks per turn if not more (depending on the movement type, since an attack costs one movement point no matter what terrain you're on, iirc.)

I like the blitz idea for the MoW. I also agree with Samart about the rate of fire issue. Since modern firgates aren't in the game, what should the SoL, Frigate and MoW upgrade to Samart?

Trying to get him off his Battlefield LAN (don't think less of us!)

Destroyers should probably be renamed to Modern Frigate.
Frigate & MoW should upgrade to Modern Frigate.
SoL should continue in "battling ships line", ie. to Battleship (which should become redundant/obsolete with Cruiser).

May already know about these, but just in case for the expansion pack:

Frigates don't upgrade to destroyers although it says they do in the Civlopedia.

Partisans can't enter restricted terrain, although it says they do in the Civlopedia.

Having a blast with this. Thanks!

No more modern ships! We have enough of them! I won't add any modern frigate.

->I agree of the galley/junk thing, but all the game uses specific names (galley, caravel, galleon) and if I used generic names I should apply this to everything.

->I'd like to know some more info from Samart on the Ironclads. Is their slow movement correct? Did they ever tranport military units? Which was the ship that broke more the line of upgrades, the ironclad or the dreadnought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom