1st city or 2nd city as cultural center?

PeterAdkison

Chieftain
I've just recently started playing Civ, started with BNW. A few games in, just won my first game at Emperor (domination as Askia). Now I'm going for my first cultural win, with Pedro.

There were no jungles around my capital, Rio (maybe I should have restarted but I love playing with what I'm dealt). Then I found a decent jungle nearby and settled my 2nd city (Sao Paulo) there.

My question is the pros and cons of making São Paulo my science and cultural center. It seems worth considering as there is an opportunity to build a lot of Brazilwood Camps there. But I'd be sacrificing the early momentum of doing that in the capital. Also, Rio will have much better production so it'll be riskier trying to build wonders in Sao Paolo.

Any thoughts?

Peter

Like in evertyhing secondary cities always start 40 turns behind the capital. And if you play tradition the capital already is stacked with bonuses. These 2 points usually make the capital the most likely candidat in being your tourism center.

The only benefit you'd get in your situation is for brazilwood camps to get benefits out of the national visit center. But this usually is just better to put in a strong wonder city and brazilwood camp cities, especially built after the capital, usually have too low production to get many wonders.

All this make me very doubtful you shouldn't just use your capital as normal and just see the jungles in other cities as a bonus.

This is one of the points I like less in civ5 than civ4. In civ5 your capital is more important than all your other cities togeather. In civ4 it was more fun to search for nice spots, and 1. change your capital 2. have awesome cities that are not the capital

Also when capturing cities it was more fun. There were amazin rival cities that were worth capturing just for that city. In civ5, except maybe for key wonders, capturing cities is more a way of winning the game than of becoming more powerfull with a strong city

Top Bottom