The City States of Greece

ooc: No, you have to do things properly and not annoy me.

-

IC: How do I know that this letter is genuine? Protocol would dictate that the Prinkipas would send a letter to me informing me of his decision. Furthermore why did you proclaim on the false basis of your own authority that you would be regent to begin with? In all likelihood this is a false construction on your part to support your spurious and arrogant self elavation.

Either way, considering my respect for your father and considering he would likely be displeased should his son humiliate himself further in public with arrogance impertinance, and also due to the possibility that this letter is actually genuine and the Prinkipas in his haste simply failed to follow correct protocol, I shall accede administrative power unto you. Hopefully you don't cause Athens to collapse in on itself with youthful ignorance.

The kyrios of the Demandroi was breaking his fast when the news came.
"Agammemnon of the Megakyrioi has relinguished the regency to Ainos!"
"Well at least the confusion is at an end, I can only commend Agammemnon for putting the good of Athens above his own interests. I wish I could say the same for the Fotismenoi, from what I have seen they handled the situation poorly and by giving way to the Japanese barbarians they put their leadership abilities into question. I only hope they hone their political senses and provide superior rule in the future, either that or step aside for another to demonstrate an ability to rule."

I walked towards the bondfire. There I was greeted by some of the people of Athens. They went by the name of Ainos and Aaronius.
They asked why am i here, so i told them the first part of my story.

Spoiler :
It was a sunny day. The sun burned the very ground i stood on, so hot my feet was as hot as the very hell in the realm of Hades. My father and I were banished from the village of Ersos. We were sent forth to find land of our own. The reason for our banishment was not told to me. My father kept it a secret. We had talked for days. It had never been this silent.

As we walked across the desert, our mouths as dry as the sand, I spotted an oasis. Finally there was water!! I sprinted towards it, running like a man who saw a room full of gold. Being only a young man, I had much more energy than a someone as old as the trees. "Wait my son.. wait for your father." His voice echoed through the land. He finally caught up with me."Let us drink, to a new life." I smiled at him. But as we bent down to fill our bottles with the beloved-ed fresh water, it happened. The arrows of near by warmongering barbarians hits my father. In his neck, the blood flew in all directions, splattering in my face. I jumped away, just in time. I took out my sword and ran towards the archers, slicing heads off one after another. After the battle, blood was all over the brown sand. It was the first colour that had been given to the dull desert, but it would not be the last.

3 sunsets later, I walked across the freezing lands of εδάφη του χιονιού. The Lands of Snow. My legs were shaking, my fingers blue and i could not stop thinking about father. What did he do? Why were we banished? All i had was a spear and half a bottle of water. My clothing was near the verge of just pieces of materials. All alone, in the middle of an ice desert, no civilization. When i thought nothing else could go wrong, the sounds of a brute beast was vibrant. The beast was 3 times the size of any man, with sharp teeth that could cut metal. Its fur was orange, black stripes flowing on its body. This beast was viscous. We circled each other. I thought I was going to die. It looked at me as if i was some type of prey. Its dark red eyes looked head on mine, and let out a roar.

It jumped, flying towards me like a like an arrow. I ducked in time, but it turned around, went running towards we again. I took my spear and as it jumped, i stabbed it in its stomach. It screamed out and its blood poured out like rain. Its heavy body landed on me and we fell down into a deep hole. I landed on rock, and i heard the bones of my arm cracking into a million pieces. The last thing i saw was my father. My eyes closed, and I fell into a deep sleep. I won't survive I thought. Alone in a hole while it snows. It is impossible.

That is the first part of my story great Athenians. Please give me some food and water and i shall tell you the rest of my story.

The kyrios of the Demandroi was breaking his fast when the news came.
"Agammemnon of the Megakyrioi has relinguished the regency to Ainos!"
"Well at least the confusion is at an end, I can only commend Agammemnon for putting the good of Athens above his own interests. I wish I could say the same for the Fotismenoi, from what I have seen they handled the situation poorly and by giving way to the Japanese barbarians they put their leadership abilities into question. I only hope they hone their political senses and provide superior rule in the future, either that or step aside for another to demonstrate an ability to rule."
OOC: tsk tsk now. That was OOC and can't be used IC. Even so, it never happened. Jehoshua misunderstood some thing.

~The Death of the Founder~

Turn Report:
Spoiler :
T33- Prinkipas Prota Tambien Fotismenos leaves for Athens.

T34- Met the Tojans, a hostile tribal city-state.

T35- Met the Spanish! Indians visit Athens.

T37- Finished Monument! Started on Worker. Indians Attacked by Trojans!

T38- Met the Guals, a hostile tribal city-state.

T39- Prota Tambien Fotismenos died!

T40- Athens demands Silk.

T41- New Japanese warrior unit spotted! Met the Belgians of Brussels!

T43- Met the Assyrains, a hostile tribal city-state! Met the Egyptians!

T45- Found Thebes, the capital of Egypt!

• Standard of Living - Average
  • Literacy Rate - Average
  • Culture Strength - Average

Much had happened in Athens. They had met many new peoples, and learned the world much more vast than once thought. The west was inhabited by many diverse and strange peoples. To the north, the Japanese now seemed much less foreign in comparison to these other peoples. Relations with the Japanese were shaky at best, and bad at worst. Reports from the north say they have recruited a new Unit of Warriors. Back in Athens they had completed a Monument to their patron goddess, Athena, and had started work on organizing a unit to better work and improve the land on a large scale. The nobles of Athens were in turmoil however.

Prinkipas, and Founder, Prota Tambien Fotismenos, had died at the old age of 56. The people were devastated that they lost their great leader, and a huge funeral was held for him. Meanwhile his son, Ainous, had taken the throne and was said to be in dispute with the Domestic Adviser, and other sole member of the Megalis, Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios. The people disliked the way Ainous demanded the regency back from Agamemnon, even though most believed it was actually his. It also worried them to see the start of squabbling between the ruling families.

The Spanish, and the Indians both visited Athens during this time. The Indians told the people of their gods, who thought them to be strange and powerful, and viewed many as just misinterpretations of their own. The Spanish were less interesting, and mostly just resupplied then set out from the city.

The people were worried when they heard word that the scouts had found not one, not two, but three hostile city-states (barb encampments). What would be done about them, especially Troy, which was very close?

Issues:
  • Who gets the new hex?
  • What will we do about the Spanish?
  • What will we do about the Egyptians?
  • What will we do about the Barbarians?

Athens City Screen:
Spoiler :

Strategic Map:
Spoiler :

Property Map:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Ethnic Groups:
Spoiler :
Updates:
  • Changed Warsawians to Polish, though they will still be a mixture of Japanese and Greek, warsawians sounded bad.

The Athenians
The Athenian people are said to be the blessed descendants of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena. According to the ancient ledgends, Athena gave the people the name of Athens, and the symbol they still use, the Owl of Wisdom. The Athenean language is still ancient Greek, with a few new words thrown in. The Athenian religion is what is considered pagan, but Athena is still the major figure in the Athenian religion. The average city dweller makes an adaquate income, while spending most of his days working. Oral tradition is strong in Athens, and many stories are past from generation to generation over the campfire.. Athenian women, starting at the age of 10, are taught domestic chores they will be expected to preform for the rest of their lives. The food of Athens is the best in the known world, and it focuses on wheat and the fish that can be found in deeper waters. Athenian chefs have managed to find a variety of "spices," some even coming from the desert to the west of the city. One of the favorite dishes of the people is Palla, a cooked fish with desert cinnamon and much salt put on top. It is inexpensive and very good. Recently the Athenians created a game by the name of War-Ball. War-Ball is a game where players take a woven grass ball and try to run it to the other end of the field. The only rules are that players cannot go out of bounds, and that they cannot destroy the ball. The game is very brutal and players regularly die from intense internal bleeding, and snapped necks, nevertheless the people love it. There are only two major teams, the Giants (who represent the city) and the Patriots (who represent the country).

The Japanese
The Japanese are an honor oriented, sea fairing folk. They devote their lives to their craft and are highly skilled in whatever they do. At the top of their social hierarchy is their Shogun, leader of the army; then the Emperor, a spiritual leader; then the Daimyos, the lords and captains of units; and finally the peasants. In Japan the warriors are well respected, and hold a high place of honor. The local cuisine is mostly casseroles made from berries and herbs found in the wild and fish, the staple food of the empire. The Japanese speak a fast language, and it is still true to the Japanese of ancient times. The Japanese have little time for hobbies, but their most enjoyed past time is creating balls of polished mud, Dodorangos.

Polish
The people of Warsaw are an off mixture of races. Aspects of Japanese and Greek culture can be seen in them. Other then their mixed origin, little is known about them.

Indians
The only knowledge of them is that they live in a far off land, dominated by social and economic castes, and great and powerful deities. Recent visits from Indian Units reveal that in their culture Warriors held a high place in society.

The Spanish
Little is known about these people, accept that they hail from the south. Their brief visit in Athens didn't reveal much, only that they though themselves better then other races. They also had a fierce devotion to their pagan gods.

Egyptians
Reports from the scouts tell of a strange land to the West. It is ruled by an all powerful god-king Pharaoh, and beneath him are the priests, and beneath them the peasant. Though there is a small class of merchants and artisans, the majority of Egyptians live as slave-peasants. The local cuisine of Egypt is nothing remarkable. They have little in the way of recreation, but they do create a monument in tribute to the founder of each city.

Belgians
Little is known about the Belgians. They currently only inhabit the city-state of Brussels. Reports say they are religious and they worship their ancestors as the Paragons. They are very hospitible to outsiders, and in general are very musically inclined.

Trojans
The Trojans are a warlike culture, and are suspected to be an off-shoot of Greek. Very little is known about them, accept that only in recent years have they banded together and organized into a sort of tribal encampment.

Guals
From what we have learned, the Guals are extremely territorial and isolationist. Little is known about their actual culture, and we have only been in very brief contact with them.

Assyrians
A rebel group from Egypt, that follow an extremist faction of Egyptian Priests. Not much else is known of them.

Ehm... The property map is a strategic map :p

I walked towards the bondfire. There I was greeted by some of the people of Athens. They went by the name of Ainos and Aaronius.
They asked why am i here, so i told them the first part of my story.

Spoiler :
It was a sunny day. The sun burned the very ground i stood on, so hot my feet was as hot as the very hell in the realm of Hades. My father and I were banished from the village of Ersos. We were sent forth to find land of our own. The reason for our banishment was not told to me. My father kept it a secret. We had talked for days. It had never been this silent.

As we walked across the desert, our mouths as dry as the sand, I spotted an oasis. Finally there was water!! I sprinted towards it, running like a man who saw a room full of gold. Being only a young man, I had much more energy than a someone as old as the trees. "Wait my son.. wait for your father." His voice echoed through the land. He finally caught up with me."Let us drink, to a new life." I smiled at him. But as we bent down to fill our bottles with the beloved-ed fresh water, it happened. The arrows of near by warmongering barbarians hits my father. In his neck, the blood flew in all directions, splattering in my face. I jumped away, just in time. I took out my sword and ran towards the archers, slicing heads off one after another. After the battle, blood was all over the brown sand. It was the first colour that had been given to the dull desert, but it would not be the last.

3 sunsets later, I walked across the freezing lands of εδάφη του χιονιού. The Lands of Snow. My legs were shaking, my fingers blue and i could not stop thinking about father. What did he do? Why were we banished? All i had was a spear and half a bottle of water. My clothing was near the verge of just pieces of materials. All alone, in the middle of an ice desert, no civilization. When i thought nothing else could go wrong, the sounds of a brute beast was vibrant. The beast was 3 times the size of any man, with sharp teeth that could cut metal. Its fur was orange, black stripes flowing on its body. This beast was viscous. We circled each other. I thought I was going to die. It looked at me as if i was some type of prey. Its dark red eyes looked head on mine, and let out a roar.

It jumped, flying towards me like a like an arrow. I ducked in time, but it turned around, went running towards we again. I took my spear and as it jumped, i stabbed it in its stomach. It screamed out and its blood poured out like rain. Its heavy body landed on me and we fell down into a deep hole. I landed on rock, and i heard the bones of my arm cracking into a million pieces. The last thing i saw was my father. My eyes closed, and I fell into a deep sleep. I won't survive I thought. Alone in a hole while it snows. It is impossible.

That is the first part of my story great Athenians. Please give me some food and water and i shall tell you the rest of my story.

Your stories are a welcome addition to the campfire stranger mickster. Your description of exotic weaponry is of particular interest. Perhaps with these "swords" and "spears" of which you speak, we may be able to defend ourselves against outside threats. :ninja:

We the poor commoners of Athens are always happy to share our meager supplies of food and water in this dry and dusty town. Our lords promise us that one day our supplies of wheat yields will be improved. There are also rumors of exotic drinks made from wheat, and the fruits that grow wild to the North of town. :beer: Of course we must first be trained as an organized worker corps before this can happen.

May I also suggest good Mickster that you join the voice of the commoners that have arrived late to this sun-kissed city. We are opposing a motion that would give the current lords control over the settlers that the city produces. Will you join the chorus of the poor but decent masses? :help:

Ehm... The property map is a strategic map :p

..and the strategic map is from the last session. The property map - strategic map shows us what is new.

...May I also suggest good Mickster that you join the voice of the commoners that have arrived late to this sun-kissed city. We are opposing a motion that would give the current lords control over the settlers that the city produces. Will you join the chorus of the poor but decent masses? :help:
I will join the voices of the great Athenians.

These weapons i speak of are foreign. They called the people with these "Swordsman and Spearman" I was no such thing. I found them when i visited the an ancient city, abandoned. (a story for another time)

May Athens live long and prosper!!:goodjob::goodjob:

Does this mean that you oppose the motion?

I hope not, I advise the stranger to look into the arguments made that demolish those made by opponents of the motion. Primarily that failing to implement the motion will create a disincentive to equip settlers, but others besides.

Plans

Who gets the new hex?
Parcle it
What will we do about the Spanish?
Invite them to Athens
What will we do about the Egyptians?
Send a delegation
What will we do about the Barbarians?
Ignore them for now

Techpath: pottery > mining > bronze working > calendar > animal husbandry > writing > the wheel > philosophy

Builds:
scout > monument > worker > granary > colossus > settler

Social Policy: tradition > liberty > collective rule > citizenship

Does Agamemnon Jehoshua Megakyrios wish to lead the delegation to Egypt?

OOC: You're giving Jehoshua so much power, by the time anyone else gets in to the game he will have so much influence. Why don't you do some of the stuff? If people were introduced faster this wouldn't be a problem.

ooc: I will go to Egypt when hell freezes over.

-

Public Speech

People of Athens I lament the passing of our great Prinkipas Prota Fotismenos. He was a kindly ruler who genuinely cared for his people and he will be sorely missed. He had, and has, my respect. However the same can not be said for his son Ainos. Ainos is arrogant and insolent, and lacks respect for anything apart from himself. Furthermore his vulgar actions in appropriating the regency for himself show his utter vulgarity and lack of civility.

In addition to this I have good reason to believe that the documents he presented were false, as Prota, gods bless him, as the good ruler he was would of naturally sent me a copy to corroborate what his son said and avoid a public argument. This did not happen and as such it is clear to me that his son forged the letters in a jealous bid to gain position.

and now he is prinkipas...

ah but there is a problem here as well you see. According to the Syntagma of Athens a hereditary succession is not defined as the means of a transition to power. Nor is the position of Prinkipas proclaimed as held by right by one of the Fotismenoi. Ergo Ainos has took a position that is not rightly his, extra-constitionally. This is something, considering his utter unsuitability for the role that I cannot tolerate.

Therefore people of Athens I, Agamemnon Megakyrios, first of that name, proclaim by divine right and by right as the senior noble of Athens the throne of the Prinkipas. I. Lord and sole member of the Megalis, Diokitis of the Athenian Army and Domestic Advisor to Prota Fotismenos, demand that Ainos accede the throne without contest or else meet me before the monument of Athena at dusk in trial by combat, so that the gods may determine the victor. For the meantime I urge all athenians to look upon the insult to his fathers name that sits on the throne and stand in opposition to his unlawful assertion of his fathers place by Ainos. Athens requires competent and wise rulership, and Ainos has shown that he is anything but competent and wise and as such all athenians and most especially myself are dutybound to Athens itself to stand against him.

-

OOC: Lesson of the Day: Don't break your agreements

Top Bottom