Current (SVN) development discussion thread

It's tedious to do that, though. I haven't observed any disadvantages for the AI and humans tend to know where everything is anyway. But I might need to set the circumnavigation bonus.

It's necessary to do that. For example, because of the unrevealed of the Atlantic Sea, English colonies in North America can't get iron in Scotland...

Maybe it's a good idea to buff some of their modifiers when entering the Industrial era, especially tech speed.

How about a hidden Unique Power, like the resettlement of American civs

Meiji Restoration: Japan grants all techs acquired by any 4 known civilizations after entering Industrial Era

By the way, comments on the tech speed and its synchronization with the current year are appreciated.

I think China and Mughal need to be nerf. China(Qing Dynasty) actually didn't able to enter the oceans in 1700AD, so they should not have Astronomy, and Mughal has Constitution in 1700AD is also ridiculous...

By the way, another bug about China, almost all Chinese cities have library, and also can build Taixue.

And another suggestion: maybe the preserve culture at the beginning should be linked to the game speed? For example, Kyoto has 100 culture in normal speed, so in epic speed it should be 150, and 300 in marathon speed.

Mughal has Constitution in 1700AD is also ridiculous...

Not all that ridiculous - Constitution is needed by 1700AD to build the Taj Mahal (finished in 1648), and the Mughal Empire did have a constitution around that time, based on a common law interpretation of the Quran in light of Hindustan society and culture. Their constitution was arguably fairer in some areas than the one the British imposed under the Raj.

And another suggestion: maybe the preserve culture at the beginning should be linked to the game speed? For example, Kyoto has 100 culture in normal speed, so in epic speed it should be 150, and 300 in marathon speed.
Doesn't work unless I do everything with Python.

Still the starting Stability in the 1700AD Scenario needs some tweaks IMO. For example colonial civs should start with a cushion of "Cities Built" Stability, whereas the Ottomans should start with a "Cities Conquered" Stability, etc.

List of additional pre-placed Wonders and their locations (everyone please check if I've missed anything):

Paris:
- Notre Dame.
- Versailles. It could be either built or not, or maybe even in the middle of being built. I recommend the last option because a GA is fun and realistic for France.

Seville/Cordoba:
- La Mezquita

Milan:
- Leaning Tower
- St Mark's Basilica could be built, or not. Having it built will make Milan more worthwhile to be not razed.

Rome:
- Sistine Chapel

Constantinople:
- Blue Mosque
- Topkapi Palace

Moscow:
- St. Basil's Cathedral

Jerusalem:
- Dome of the Rock

Timbuktu:
- University of Sankore

Baghdad:
- Spiral Minaret

Delhi:
- Red Fort could either be built or not. My recommendation is that it's built.
- Taj Mahal. My recommendation is that it's not built, or in the middle of being built.

Kaifeng:
- Grand Canal

Shanghai:
- Porcelain Tower

Batavia/Jarkata:
- Borobudur

Ayutthaya/Bangkok:
- Angkor Wat

Kyoto:
- Himeji Castle

Just finished doing that when I read your post.

Similar to Wonders:

Settled Great Generals/Military Academy:
- Frankfort
- Wien
- Constantinople

Academy
- Paris (Institut de France)
- London (Royal Society)
- Beijing (Guozijian)

Settled Great Merchant
- London (1~2, EIC)
- Amsterdam (2, EIC, so the Dutch can actually win UHV)
- Hamburg (1~2, Hanseatic League)
- Milan (1~2, Bank of St. George and Medici Bank)
- Tokyo/Kyoto (1 in both or either, Dōjima Rice Exchange)

Settled Great Engineer
- Milan/Rome (Leonardo da Vinci)

Settled Great Priest
- Mecca (3~4)
- Rome (1~2)
- Constantinople (1~2)
- Bagdhad (2)
- Patliputra (1~2)
- Ayutthaya/Bangkok (1)
- Lhasa (1~2)

New commit:
- more 1700 AD adjustments (stability, starting wonders and great people)
- new second Argentine goal: control the city with the highest commerce output in 1930 AD
- Byzantine UP fix for the AI

Minor concern, but I'm curious why the third Japanese city was changed from Nagasaki to Kagoshima since your original proposed city map. Nagasaki was much more important in 1700 (as Japan's main port open to the Dutch and other commerce) and in general from 1700 to the modern era. Why Kagoshima?

Minor concern, but I'm curious why the third Japanese city was changed from Nagasaki to Kagoshima since your original proposed city map. Nagasaki was much more important in 1700 (as Japan's main port open to the Dutch and other commerce) and in general from 1700 to the modern era. Why Kagoshima?
The same reason Guangzhou is represented as a Chinese city instead of Hong Kong or Macau.

Nagasaki was founded by the Portuguese as a colony in late 16th century. Kagoshima was founded by the Japanese many centuries earlier, had always been more important to Japan, and even today has larger population than Nagasaki.

The idea that Nagasaki was Japan's "only window to the outside world" was nothing but false and outdated myth perpetuated by Western sources.

You should really learn to look at things from an other than Eurocentric point of view.

Can we put some Great Prophets in Jerusalem, please? It's not hard to find at least one person who fits the bill, and it might help make a low production and food city better.

Jerusalem is already amazing with the Catholic Shrine + Temple of Solomon in it. Although 1~2 extra Great Prophets won't hurt.

I also changed Dome of the Rock to obsolete with Assembly Line, so that makes Jerusalem even better.

Also, wow. Milan is a really good city now. o__O

Just ran some test American spawns of the 1700AD Scenario. A few things:

- Most AI civs will revolt into a different set of Civics in the first few turns of this scenario causing them to become Unstable/Collapsing. Instead of trying to figure out what they're trying to revolt into, I say give everyone a free 10 turns of No Anarchy and be done with it.

- England is consistently Collapsing by the time of American spawn. Due to a few factors which can be rectified:

(1) Civics switches, like I mentioned above.

(2) Bombay & Calcutta wither and die under Mughal Culture. Change the Mughal UB to provide free Great Artist GP points, instead of 1 Free Artist. If there's one thing I learned from all these RFC modmods, it is that Free Artist is never a good idea because it messes everything up.

Also, consider removing Khajuraho. It makes sense to include it perhaps in the 600AD Scenario (it's not there, btw), but in the 1700AD Scenario nobody can make use of it anyway.

(3) England, Netherlands, and Prussia should start with No State Religion + Secularism. AI Netherlands and Prussia would revolt into Secularism anyway. AI England is too dumb to figure that out - we may need to help them.

- Finally, I think AI colonial civs should have a reduced, or completely zero Stability penalty when their colonies (America, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina) declare independence. The loss of cities is already a huge enough penalty.

- There should even be a diplomatic relations bonus between colonial civs and their former masters, to represent the "Special Relationship" between America and Britain, for example.

I suggest to add Forbidden Palace and the Great Wall in Beijing, it's obviously they existed in 1700AD.
Great Wall obsoletes with Gunpowder in DoC. And as you know the Qing Empire, being of nomadic origins from north of the Great Wall itself, never needed/maintained/made use of the Great Wall anyway.

Forbidden Palace needs a new bonus, as its current bonus makes it completely redundant if placed in China's capital (and pretty redundant if placed anywhere else, really). A couple of ideas for a new bonus (any of these can be used, or a combination of several) are:

(1) +3 Stability for running each of Dynasticism, Nationhood, Absolutism and Totalitarianism.

(2) Reduced Stability penalty for owning cities outside your Core, and for loosing cities.

(3) +5 :espionage: for every Wonder in your cities.

Great Wall obsoletes with Gunpowder in DoC. And as you know the Qing Empire, being of nomadic origins from north of the Great Wall itself, never needed/maintained/made use of the Great Wall anyway.

But the Great Wall is a symbol of the Chinese nationality, after all, the Pyramid and the Great Library are also obsoleted, but still settled in Egypt.

In fact, the Emperors of Qing Dynasty paid a lot attention to the Great Wall, Kangxi and Qianlong inspected many times.

Forbidden Palace needs a new bonus, as its current bonus makes it completely redundant if placed in China's capital (and pretty redundant if placed anywhere else, really). A couple of ideas for a new bonus (any of these can be used, or a combination of several) are:

(1) +3 Stability for running each of Dynasticism, Nationhood, Absolutism and Totalitarianism.

(2) Reduced Stability penalty for owning cities outside your Core, and for loosing cities.

(3) +5 :espionage: for every Wonder in your cities.

I think +4 Stability for running each of Dynasticism and Absolutism is better. Generally speaking, Forbudden Palace is nothing to do with Nationhood and Totalitarianism.

The main reason for not placing the Great Wall is that it's difficult to make it look right.

Top Bottom