what's the record for getting to Alpha Centauri?

It's 50 AD. There's a bug, or perhaps an intentional feature, that stops the ship from landing before then.

I'm not sure what your saying; are you saying the starship(whatever date it takes off) continues past Alpha Centauri and time warps back into time?

Or, are you saying some ship or boat goes off to Alpha Centauri?

No, that's not what your saying; and, I'm even more unsure of what you mean.

Are you saying a CivRev game has built a starship and got there by 50A.D, but it stops before then? Like I said, I don't understand what your saying;

Heh. Normally if you launch the ship with maximum (4) propulsion modules, it takes three turns to arrive at Alpha Centauri.

This bug/feature makes it take longer if you launch in the first 40 turns of the game. Some players have managed to launch in like 400 BC, which should mean the ship arrives in 100 BC. It doesn't. It arrives in 50 AD. This appears to be the earliest possible date for the ship to arrive.

I haven't done that myself by the way. I'm a good MP player, but very bad at optimizing a very quick spaceship in single player. If winning in under 40 turns seems insanely fast to you, well it is. I don't know if there's a quick tech victory on youtube, but there's a player winning a culture victory in an astounding 29 turns. Many of the tricks he uses will also benefit a fast tech win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_pkNWQLPmY

Thanks for the link; i've made it in 1890; i probably could have made it sooner if I didn't add four propulsion and fuel units plus starting to to launch earlier; i waited to build up some cities some more.

I've taken out cities early before but not on the scale this person did in the link you provided.

well, I got it down to 1860!

Keep it up! By the way, extra fuel doesn't make your ship go faster. It actually doesn't do anything at all except increase your score (are you Caesar, Churchill, Dan Quayle, etc.). The fastest ship has four propulsion modules and one of each of the others.

1770;

What's going on in 1770? I suppose the steam engine is just getting started; at this time, the steam engine is partly made out of wood! Few people are even thinking of making a small engine to power a car much less an advanced lightweight and still powerfull enough engine to power propellers to lift a heavier than air(as in an air baloon) aircraft! That's technology wise of what's happening around 1770.

America has barely been founded. It's still more of a dream than anything else.

Mathematics is mostly analyses; the world of abstract algebra, non-Euclidean geometry much less topology is almost nowhere to be seen; well, there is Euler's polyhedron formula and his number theory gives hints to Gauss. There's Sacceri's(spelling is probably a little bit off) effort to prove the parrallel postulate; but, he doens't know what he's doing.

I'm not sure what your saying; are you saying the starship(whatever date it takes off) continues past Alpha Centauri and time warps back into time?

Or, are you saying some ship or boat goes off to Alpha Centauri?

No, that's not what your saying; and, I'm even more unsure of what you mean.

Are you saying a CivRev game has built a starship and got there by 50A.D, but it stops before then? Like I said, I don't understand what your saying;

I don't think a boat can go to Alpha Centauri. But anyways, I did around 1931 on Cheiftain as China.

i think we settled the issue above.

As for you getting to Alpha Centauri around 1930s, I remember my first time there; i had been trying and trying to gt to Alpha Centauri before the Sputnik date; that was my first breakthrough; then, I got there around the 1930s; then I started getting there around 1905; then, I managed to get just under around 1890; i was stuck around 1870 for the longest time; finaly, i found a way to get there around 1770. I'm currently having a hard time seeing how one can beat that time. I did it with the aztecs; i did everything on king mode; the hardest mode before the computer starts cheating. I stopped playing cheating computers during my madden days(which I don't play anymore).

I got To Alpha Centauri in 1500, playing Chinese at Deity level.
I have done it in 1525 also, which clearly less production.

Before pressing my last end turn (spaceship would arrive at beginning of next turn)I checked the stats:

Cities 28
Total size 319 Food: 388 Production 345
Science 3681 Gold 849 Culture 530

So the average city of the 28 is zize 11, produces a surplus of 14 food and 12 production, 130 science, 30 gold, 28 culture and has 5.5 buildings in the year of 1475 at deity level.

Well, once you reach the modern era, new Chinese cities are size six, and a settler costs two in size.
So every city I founded instantly made a new settler, lost two in size, then added six to to my total size.
With all the bonuses gained through being first with tech, every new city very quickly pays for the cost of the settler.
I managed to time reaching 2 000 gold with researching massmedia, and in the same turn I got a humanitarian great person. Think I had 23 cities at the time, and gained 69 city-size points in a single turn. Or equal to seven cities of size 10...

I managed to find a more direct rout towards Alpha Centauri, and my spaceship landed in 1225.

Again with the chinese on deity level.

Before pressing end turn in 1200 the stats are:

25 cities (all with aqueducts built in 950)
Size 229 Food 186 Production 244
Science 2275 Gold 928 Culture 106 Buildings 101

I used 3-4 scientists to advance my science 8 turns in key areas like the corporation and mass media. I captured a mongolian settler pretty early, but otherwise pretty much ignored the AI:s, and was lucky to have plenty of space to expand from my starting position.

Only two artifacts in the game, and that lone knight was of no use at all, since I just had made a 10 turn peace treaty with the americans and my galley couldnt really reach any other civ within a reasonable time.

Key to the fast pace with science, was lots of barbarian villages and caravans that led to early libraries, and that I halted my research on Invention and rushed navigation in year 0, because I had located Lost City of Atlantis.
Next turn I finished Invention and got a great builder, that I instantly ordered to build the East India Company.
With the coming of the industrial era, the chinese 20 hammer libraries worked wonders in combination with democracy and the east india company.

So...
Is there alot of people out there, that have landed a space ship before 1000 AD, on Deity level?

Are you building aqueducts? You get them for free in all cities when you hit a gold milestone. Maybe that's what you meant by "built in 950."

Spaceship launches before 0AD are possible. I don't play single player or GotW at all. Doesn't hold my interest. Only multi does. If you are on one of the consoles, check out the GotW stats each week and you'll often see technology wins before 1000 AD.

To speed things up, you should build Oxford University right after discovering Industrialization. This will give you Advanced Flight for free. Advanced Flight is a very expensive tech that is a prerequisite for Space Flight. Saves you a scientist. Oxford can be hammered out if you start banking hammers early (meaning assign them to a wonder in a production city, then change to Oxford). It's only 150 hammers.

Yep, I saved up 5000.

Well, I usually do not bother with advanced flight...
I guess I go nuclear instead.
Spaceflight took 3 turns to research without having advanced flight.
If I make an attempt to get the ship landed before 1000, I will consider the oxford univeristy. Maybe I should have just bought that instead of fooling around with aqueducts...

But you are probably hinting in the right direction, because maybe there is other techs I should not bother researching.

There is of course also the option to attack one or two AI:s very early...

Hmm, maybe it is just me being strange, but I consider it unsportsmanlike to actually attack the AI-citys with military, while trying to achieve a scientific victory.

Taking any AI capital would be a partial military victory, and the whole scientific achievement would not count.

Top Bottom