New Cumulative history Quiz VII

What was the real occasion of this fabricated quotation?

"Peccavi--"

To whom is it attributed, for what, and when?

Wasn't this supposedly on a telegram from the British commander in Sindh after he conquered that province?

Peccavi = I have sinned.

General Charles Napier in 1842 launched a controversial, but successful assault on the province of Sind to consolidate British control of India. His telegram announcing his successful annexation of the territory was the one word "Peccavi--"; a pun on the Latin "I have sinned".

Although very well-known, the 'peccavi' telegram story was apparently invented after the fact by a newspaper reporter.

:goodjob:

... and what does "pak" mean? That could be a clue to the German meaning..
I'd wager it's itself a loan from German, not the other way around.
Would "back" have something to do with loading (of cargo)? The older English term that was replaced by port, larboard, is derived from that. Of course it may be an obsolete term with little or no connection to modern ones.
...but "pakk" does mean a package or a parcel.

The man to the upper left is Puyi, the last emperor of China and later emperor of Manchukuo. The second man in the lower row is a warlord who was head of Manchuria. I have no idea what this has to do with the Black Sea.

I don't get the geographic clues, but my guess is Sun Yat-Sen.

Bottom left looks like Yuan Shikai...I almost wanna say "Roman Fyodorovich Ungern von Sternberg" but I dunno what connection he's got to a coupla these things.

The man to the upper left is Puyi, the last emperor of China and later emperor of Manchukuo. The second man in the lower row is a warlord who was head of Manchuria. I have no idea what this has to do with the Black Sea.

Bottom left looks like Yuan Shikai...

They're right so far...

I don't get the geographic clues, but my guess is Sun Yat-Sen.

Chiang Kai-Shek

Dachs said:
I almost wanna say "Roman Fyodorovich Ungern von Sternberg" but I dunno what connection he's got to a coupla these things.

None of these, though you're in the right historical period.

Bottom left looks like Yuan Shikai...I almost wanna say "Roman Fyodorovich Ungern von Sternberg" but I dunno what connection he's got to a coupla these things.
...and besides, it wasn't too long ago when I made a picture quiz about him :)

We also see Blue Sky & White Sun from the Taiwanese flag and Teutonic Cross (?)...

Maybe Kolchak? He used to command the Black Sea fleet...

The Manchurian Warlord is Zhang Zhou Lin.

He was assassinated by the Japanese Army.

The clues are puzzling. Yuan Shi Kai was dead when Puyi was 6 and Zhang Zhou Lin wasn't in power yet.
Can you give us a little hint?

The Manchurian Warlord is Zhang Zhou Lin.

He was assassinated by the Japanese Army.

The clues are puzzling. Yuan Shi Kai was dead when Puyi was 6 and Zhang Zhou Lin wasn't in power yet.
Can you give us a little hint?

This person was involved with all of them during his lifetime.

I doubt whether he had personal contact with Yuan Shikai. However, Yuan Shikai is there more to represent an organization, of which Yuan was a leader and in which this person was part of.

The geographic clues are quite important.

This person was involved with all of them during his lifetime.

I doubt whether he had personal contact with Yuan Shikai. However, Yuan Shikai is there more to represent an organization, of which Yuan was a leader and in which this person was part of.

The geographic clues are quite important.

So...this guy is part of the Beiyang Army...
Does Inner Mongolia refer to some battle that this guy is involved with the Feng Tian Clique at Zhili?

Or the Zhili Clique found by Feng Guozhang?

Top Bottom