City spacing: exception to the 4 tile rule?

Lukasper

Chieftain
I heard that the 4 tile rule doesn't apply when the two cities are on different landmasses. I tested it on IGE and as far as I can tell the 4 tile rule changes to the 3 tile rule for cities on different landmasses. 2 tiles is still too close, but you can settle a city three tiles away from another (your own, city state or other civ) if the two cities are on different landmasses. I can't see this having much impact on the game except maybe when settling for island spices as Indo.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 464
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 241
It also helps if you do not see the city that is too close. I had a game where I could settle 3 hexes from a city state. after reloading I scouted differently and saw the CS before settling - preventing me to settle on the same spot. I had to reload again to carefully approach my spot without seeing the offending city to early.

sometimes to much knowledge is bad. :D

Yes, I have done this before, I thought it was a glitch. I settled 3 tiles away from a CS and then later revealed that a CS was there. I imagine that if the CS were revealed I never would have been allowed to settle there and definitely wouldn't have tried.

This rule is not how it works.

You won't be able to settle a city within 4 hexes on the same landmass regardless if you see it or not. The game knows there's a city nerby and prevents you from settling. The exception being different landmasses.

This rule is not how it works.

You won't be able to settle a city within 4 hexes on the same landmass regardless if you see it or not. The game knows there's a city nerby and prevents you from settling. The exception being different landmasses.

Well yeah, I figured it was a glitch and had something to do with the CS being on an island AND being in fog of war because that would never happen when not on an island.

I thought it was a glitch involving islands and not an actual game mechanic.

That rule would defy most nearby city rules if there are 2 islands with a 1 tile ocean between them. That means cities would be able to be built 1 tile away if there's a 1 tile of ocean in between them and if they're in a different land mass.

Does anyone have an idea why it works this way? It seems mostly like oversight to me, but it that were the case, I would expect such a bug to let you found cities even closer.

I had a game where I could settle 3 hexes from a city state. after reloading I scouted differently and saw the CS before settling - preventing me to settle on the same spot. I had to reload again to carefully approach my spot without seeing the offending city to early.

I am hoping you are mistaken about this, because fog is not known to change settling rules. You would be onto something new with your experience! Do you happened to have the saves?

Top Bottom