Number Crunchers vs. Role Players

Which camp of players do you most identify with?

• Total voters
Somewhere in-between. I don't manually manage every tile, neither do I pre-chop forests nor steal workers, but I still can't make myself adopt Piety or Honor. And I`m okay with giving up speed in favor of smoother overall gameplay experience. Maybe that's why I don't bother with top difficulty levels.

Is there any point, mechanically, to a spherical map?

I am not sure what you mean by “mechanically”, but in terms of gameplay, it breaks my sense of immersion sometimes that I can’t go over the poles. Mostly it is only an issue for Earth maps. The typical map, with impassible ice at the top and bottom, actually helps quite a bit with keeping the illusion that the world is a sphere and not a cylinder. Maps with walls bother me more, so I just don’t play those.

You need a mix of hexagons and pentagons. (Take a look at a soccer ball for a simple example.)

Yes, ordinarily that's true (I do know geometry ;)), but if I'm remembering correctly someone had found a way to use solely hexagons to make a map that would "wrap" both from a horizontal direction and from a vertical one. So, not strictly a spherical map I suppose, but one that acts as though it is.

Is there any point, mechanically, to a spherical map?

Yep. Think about the fact that traveling along the Equator is much longer than traveling around the poles for example. Or, for that matter, that you can just cross the poles : in history books about the Cold War, you always find maps with a polar view that give you a sense of how close the US and the USSR were in a sense, because you can just go over the pole.

Yep. Think about the fact that traveling along the Equator is much longer than traveling around the poles for example. Or, for that matter, that you can just cross the poles : in history books about the Cold War, you always find maps with a polar view that give you a sense of how close the US and the USSR were in a sense, because you can just go over the pole.

The problem is that travel times in Civilization, especially on larger maps, are long enough without widening the equator. Secondly, the Cold War "lets fire nukes over the poles" has only really mattered in the last sixty years out of the 6050 years the game covers.

I voted Role-Player because that is the way I approach 85% of my games. I mainly play emperor, with some immortal mixed in. There are times, however; when I strictly number-crunch. (going for a sub 300 turn win or something like that).

I'm a Role Player for Immersion

While I voted strategist I do love that Civ V is a beautiful game. But it's best feature is the ability to explore options. What happens if I choose Tradition, Aesthetics and Commerce? As the Aztecs? What do I focus on this game? Faith? Commerce or a kick ass military? Do I want to dominate the international scene or be a rogue nation? What sort of victory am I going for. Vast sprawling empire or six prosperous city states with a ring of devastation all around as a warning to encroaching rivals.
Conquer, assimilate or burn?

It's the endless options that does it for me.

Somewhere in between, though I identify more as an Immersionist.

Building my nation is everything for me. Finding and settling cities, building infrastructure and a good military, maintaining diplomatic relations, and so on.

Sadly the diplomacy part is so incredibly bad in Civ 5... :shake:

Number-crusher. Solve a puzzle, find another, solve it... What this things make ? Nothing, try something else. Amazing, try something else anyway.

Top Bottom