G.D.R civilopedia

People get so uptight about the GDR: it's the most exciting end-game addition I've heard of so far and will (in addition to 1UPT) make end-game warfare far more interesting than it is currently. Usually it's AI steamroll if you've managed to survive by the point, but now you can steamroll with lasers! :crazyeye:

That is so cute. And the civilopedia looks nice. Very "clean".

I like the idea of stomping tanks to junk with my giant GDR. Sure it isn't realistic but it sure will be fun.

People get so uptight about the GDR: it's the most exciting end-game addition I've heard of so far and will (in addition to 1UPT) make end-game warfare far more interesting than it is currently. Usually it's AI steamroll if you've managed to survive by the point, but now you can steamroll with lasers! :crazyeye:
Y'know, I think the GDR is incredibly silly. And stupid. But now, that they're taking refuge in audacity, I sort of like it! :D

It would've annoyed me to no end if they tried to make it semi-serious (similar to the Assault Mech in "Next War"), but now it's so over-the-top it's funny again, because I can now look at it with the right mindset! It's essentially running on MAD SCIENCE! ;)

Cheers, LT.

The Civilopedia entry could be funnier, sure, but I think it's pretty rad. I think the funniest part about the GDR would be playing a game for six hours, re-writing history with realistic units, then, all of a sudden, Giant Death Robots roam the Earth.

Next week 2KGreg will announce their new website!

Civilopædia Dramatica

Whoever snapped that shot may have broken NDA, because I haven't seen it in any previews (plus it's hosted at ImageShack) thus implying that it's an unauthorized shot. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but stuff like that that can discourage publishers from giving out media preview builds in the first place.

2K has been extremely cool with media with the Civ V launch, and I'd hate to see that change with the next game / expansion.

Interesting screenshot.

I beginning to love how good looking the interface of Civ V is going to be.

Whoever snapped that shot may have broken NDA, because I haven't seen it in any previews (plus it's hosted at ImageShack) thus implying that it's an unauthorized shot. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but stuff like that that can discourage publishers from giving out media preview builds in the first place.

2K has been extremely cool with media with the Civ V launch, and I'd hate to see that change with the next game / expansion.

I'm pretty sure that we've seen it before, but no idea why.
And if i was not so lazy, i could add my own shot from the Gamescom here...

All I know about GDR's is that IF they're in the real game I'll mod them out of the game as quick as I can.

Y'know, I think the GDR is incredibly silly. And stupid. But now, that they're taking refuge in audacity, I sort of like it! :D

It would've annoyed me to no end if they tried to make it semi-serious (similar to the Assault Mech in "Next War"), but now it's so over-the-top it's funny again, because I can now look at it with the right mindset! It's essentially running on MAD SCIENCE! ;)

Cheers, LT.

Ach! Now you've caused me to spend hours on tvtropes.org. AGAIN!

Nice! By strange coincidence Transformers just finished on on ITV - the civilopedia pic looks just like the yellow "good" one whatever its name was.

I just finished watching Transformers 2 before I saw this thread actually. It sucked pretty bad, but not as much as having this ridiculous unit in civ5.

maybe if we are lucky, they will focus the first Civ5 expansion solely on turning the future era into a battle between the autobots and deceptigons. :rolleyes:

All I know about GDR's is that IF they're in the real game I'll mod them out of the game as quick as I can.

You shouldn't mod it out. That would break late-game balance. You just have to turn it into a less ridiculous unit with the same stats.

Does this mean that if I write some outrageous flames targeted at you (not that I would, just hypothetically), I can afterwards take refuge in audacity and you'll admit that they were somehow cool? ;)

Also, is there a tvtrope for "It has a tvtrope, so it must be cool"? I meant to suggest that over there for quite some time now, as this trope seems pretty popular lately (see your quote above). :D

I don't think it's particularly audacious. The unit's a little bit futuristic from a realism point of view and light hearted in the way they present it in the game, but not in an over-the-top way, just with a kind of wink to acknowledge it's not a real-life unit.

Why does everything have to be either stone cold sober, or out there wacko bodacious, to be cool? It's almost like we don't know how to take this feature - it's not extreme enough either way in it's realism or lack of it to make for an easy response. So it gets the thumbs down for being silly or naff, or we try to persuade ourselves it's freakish enough to be cool.

Argh! Why can't they release the game already. Too much inane talk. Not enough civ 5 play :mad:

At least now we know where the drug reference from the ESRB is located. "The 'mech' is a Modern Armor unit on steroids.

I'm pretty sure that we've seen it before, but no idea why.
And if i was not so lazy, i could add my own shot from the Gamescom here...

There used to be tons of screenshots of the Civlopedia in the gallery, including this entry. I remember taking a few hours to look through them all, a few weeks ago. Not sure what happened to them. This isn't the first time the GDR screenshot has been here.

Top Bottom