The Hundred Years' War for Civ5

I've actually been thinking about making a total European Medieval mod. From the Fall of Rome to the discovery of America with Charlemagne, the Crusades, Hundred Years' War, Wars of Roses and all that in. Then I'll need a big Tree though, for I would want such a game to last long.

What I think would be a great thing is some kind of "medieval framework" modframe.

You see - If somebody wanted to make a mod on, say, the crusades he would be starting where you started. He would have to make a map, rename the factions, place them on the map and have a beta, but would face the same problems you did: Tons of unfitting wonders and buildings, long build times for units, too fast teching/too few techs and a total of like 6 fitting units (Crossbowman, Knight, (Horseman), (Swordsmen), Longswordmen, Trebuchet, (Pikeman), (Catapult)).

So you have fixed most of that already and are working on the last issues. If you packed that without the map into a mod, you would propably help lots of Modcreators to kick-start their mods.
I had been planning to do this myself for the classical Era, but I currently lack time and hence the modding skills :sad:

That is an interesting idea - making a "Skeleton" Medieval Mod. The Tech Tree is easy enough to create now, thanks to Lemmy. The new units will be a bit harder, but there's new stuff being published regularly and downloadable from the database for everyone to use. It'll start with Serfdom and end in something Renaissance. It will be divided into three Eras. Early-, High- and Late Middle Ages. Sounds good for starters and all the vanilla techs can be in there too, to give an illusion that this really is like vanilla, but just one Era zoomed in. I can start on that tech tree next week sometime (I am currently rather busy), and we'll go from there; see what units will be needed and so on.

If noone else has any interest in it later on, I won't have lost anything on this project either, since most of my own modding for Civ5 will concern the Middle Ages or Fantasy, so at least I'll be able to use it myself. ;)

If you yourself easily and right now want to achieve a result that looks like the things we're talking about here above, I can tell you a few things to get started. There is a mod out there which will at least stop the tech advance in the Middle Ages; this by just disabling all techs beyond the Middle Ages. I actually opened it and looked into the workings of it when I created my own Hundred Years' War, but I needed more than just the tech stop. That mod is simply called "End at Medieval Era" and is available on the Mod Hub. That coupled with Lemmy's Tech Editor should do the trick to create a very good Medieval mod pretty (or rather - very) easily.

If the medieval skeleton mod ever takes off the ground I'd be in on helping with it.

Sounds good. I just created the foundations for it, actually in the Tech Editor, with the vanilla techs and added Serfdom at the beginning and Renaissance as a repeater at the end. The Editor crashed on export though, but I'm getting there. It was a quick process too. It just took me like ten minutes, but I need to be more careful next time.

I also divided it into the three Eras Early, High and Late Middle Ages. I'll begin with that and then we'll add stuff as we go. I'm having a real bad evening modding though. Everything I do fail tonight. It's one of those. :lol:

Just seen your post and would like to contribute to that medieval skeleton. I am mostly stuck in mine with things that I cannot do with the current SDK limitations. Also graphics and units that I am not able to create.

Right now I mostly play my mod, and have come up with some things that may be of interest:

• As there are less techs and buildings you usually end up building more things in cities, as well as units. As a result you will have less money than in vanilla.
  • You need a water unit for exploration outside the coastal tiles
  • Culture is harder to get, also already modded the policies to fit better medieval era

Excellent. I will start this Skeleton as soon as it is possible for me. I have some RL things to take care of and won't have time until next week though.

All your notes are true. I recognize them from my Hundred Years' War too. I moved Banking from the Renaissance and made the Bank buildable at the end of my mod to get more dosh flowing and I think it's suitable for the end of the Middle Ages also.

The Hundred Years' War has no use though for the Caravel, since there is no interest in the sea beyond the coastal areas, but for a Medieval mod in general, it will be of great use. In a Perfect World, there would be several ship types in a mod like that, actually. All from the Viking Longboat to the Hanseatic Cogs.

Policies for the Middle Ages have to be rethought in a Skeleton Mod too.

When the time comes, we could all claim different aspect of the mod and work on those (I really need to do the tech tree! :D), and then put together proper scenarios and own mods to go with it too. The units will take some time, I bet, but Rome wasn't built in a day, vanilla supplies us with some basics and there are already some good looking stuff in the database, but the units need to be fleshed out seriously. And they also need to be kept basic.

The time has come for me to found a thread on this subject where we can properly share ideas... Hang on. Link coming soon.

Time for Version 5/6 already!

OK. This version is a bit rushed, but this time I have a valid excuse. I will not be able to upload anything until next week since me and my little lady are moving to a new flat and we won't have any internet connection for about a week except the crappy USB-modem! I want Version 5 of the Hundred Years' War to be out, so I can continue to mod offline and upload when I get a good connection again.

Note: I did a minor, but possibly game-ruining, mistake when uploading Version 5, but corrected it quickly, so the mod is now at Version 6.

As always, this is BETA, so it is not finished in its entirety as yet, but it's a very playable, good game!

Updates in V5:

November 11, 2010, V5 Update
- Trimmed the Tech Tree further. Added Gunpowder and Regular Army techs.
- Added the French UU's The Noble and the Genovese Crossbowman.
- Castles now have city defence bonus 10 and Walls 8.
- Balanced units costs and stats further. The English Longbowman is not so overpowered anymore.

November 11, 2010, V6 Update
- A minor error with the Heavy Swordsman was corrrected.

Download

Get it here on CivFanatics or on the Mod Hub.

Screenshots

And here's Version 7/8

Time for Version 7 then. This time, I've added a new playable faction - The Duchy of Burgundy. This nation comes complete with icons, map images, DoM-Screen and everything needed. It also has its own unit - the fearsome Landsknecht. This civ is thrown in here to stir the pot a bit and perhaps make the game more diplomatically interesting as well. It's also fun to play this kind of small power there beside those two great fighting nations of France and England who massively outnumber Burgundy!

Note: I fixed a Game Crash quickly after releasing Version 7 and reuploaded, so the mod is now at V8.

Thanks for all the masses of great comments on this thread, by the way! It really spurs me to want to mod on! ;)

Updates in V7/8:

November 22, 2010, V7 Update
- Added the Duchy of Burgundy complete with everything needed as a third playable Civ.
- Added a ReadMe-file.

November 22, 2010, V8 Update
- Fixed a Game Crash; updated to V8.

Download

Download here at CivFanatics or on the Mod Hub.

Screenshots

Version 9 is ready!

Version Nine brings along some vital balancing and other stuff. I made the Cannon available from tech Gunpowder finally, but I'm not pleased with the model really. I'd like a more Bombard-looking thing, so consider this a placeholder. No Hundred Years' War without Cannon though. Settlers aren't buildable anymore, just like I intended in the first place.

As always, I am SO pleased with all the great comments and suggestions I get! :crazyeye:

Download

Download from CivFanatics or from the Mod Hub. Just search for the Hundred Years War on there.

Updates in V9

November 25, 2010, V9 Update

- Started creating the Civilopedia. Nothing impressive in there yet though.
- Made Settlers unbuildable by just moving them to an unattainable Tech.
- Removed Angkor Wat and The Great Lighthouse from the game in the same manner.
- Reduced Cost, Moves and Combat for Horsemen, which are now known as Light Cavalry.
- Made the Cannon buildable from Tech Gunpowder. The unit displays only one Cannon.
- Updated the Leader Traits and gave all playable nations specific ones.

Some Screenshots

As for me, I really like it. It's kind of sad though that Permanent Peace/War still doesn't work - would have been great to play as Burgundy, but for now, it is sort of frustrating with England and France declaring peace after two rounds. :rolleyes: (I know, this is work for the devs, still it sucks. ^^)

I'm looking forward to playing with the new traits!

You shall have a Knighthood for your comment, since I usually don't get comments! :) In modding, no comments is often good comments, since people seem more interested in commenting errors than when things are functioning OK.

And yeah, the Permanent War and the fact that it's broken, really sucks. I really look forward to the day when it's fixed. In the meantime, I have a lot of good stuff to do on this, and maybe I can get around that broken Permanent War somewhow. IRL, France and England declared a lot of wars and peace treaties during the Hundred Years' War, so it's not entirely unhistorical, but I really want a game where they go at each other till the bitter end.

Juh, I know - I myself do historical studies which may be the main factor for me to playing stuff like this. :goodjob:

Until they come up with a patch to repair it, one way could be to separate the different phases of the war(s) and articulate specific war goals (if possible): e.g., "conquer cities ..., ... and ...". However, I don't know whether the AI understands that.

(I'm actually not into this modding stuff, so I don't know what's possible and what's not.)

Okay, if you want feedback, you shall get it ;)

• Prices are off for: Archers, Light Cavalry, Chariot Archers, Warriors
  • Warriors should be replaced by Spearmen, maybe have Pikemen require Iron?
  • Maybe make Swordsmen not require Iron, although Spearmen would make an OK basic infantry as well.
  • Chariot Archers should leave the game
  • French Knights do not need a ressource, making them immensly powerful
  • Heavy Swordsmen don't need a ressource, and are weaker than swordsmen, and lack a description
  • France starts with -1 Iron (1354 scenario)
  • The regular Army tech does, wait... nothing?
  • Longbowmen are still badly overpowered :(

Happiness is a big problem due to the number of cities (and related policy cost), the restriction to 4 luxuries and to the coliseum.

Le Sage,

How did you manage to package/bundle your map/scenario files with modbuddy? I noticed that your scenarios only appear (in Civ V) when I load the mod, which is great.
However, I can not replicate this with my mod/scenario.
Did you save the scenario in a particular format, or was it loaded into modbuddy in a particular way? Such as an activation command of some sort?
thanks!

Le Sage,

This looks like a great mod, and I am very excited to play it. Unfortunately, I have been having some problems loading the mod.

I downloaded version 9 from the mod browser. When loading the mod, I do not get Burgundy as a playable civilization, and when I select France the game set-up screen disappears and I am unable to start the game. England loads correctly, although I notice that some of your latest changes do not seem to be in effect. For instance, settlers are still buildable.

Am I loading the mod/scenario incorrectly or making another mistake in the game set-up?

bmass,

You should select the map first. Choose any of the starting dates and Check the Scenario option.

Zen-Blade: You need to assign the maps to the mod. This is done on the Contents tab in the Propeties of your mod. I include a screenshot of how it looks in the Hundred Years' War for you to study and replicate.

Lazy Knight: Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. The issues you raise will be dealt with. Thanks also for helping Bmass with his problem.

Top Bottom