[Wine] Civ4 in Wine 1.1.25 on Ubuntu 9.04

Yeah - thanks for being our "torch bearer" on this shared journey to get all this working Damunzy. You have given up valuable meglomaniac-world-conquering-time for this!

Here is an update from me after a little more research and a reinstall of Civ (not wine) tonight.

- After running wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe for the Vanilla Civ4 install the DirectX installer comes up by default and is a default option. After reading the Wine FAQ I see that the intention is probably not to install DirectX here. If this is the case, for clarity I recommend that the instructions say that you cancel out of the DirectX install part of the installer.

- I upgraded to the Nvidia 190.16 Beta Drivers released yesterday (July 21st, 2009). This corrected the problem with renderer uninitializing issue. This is further evidence that part of the problem is in the Nvidia driver itself. I recommend trying this Beta driver out if someone is having similar problems.

- BTS (Release) wouldn't install - but I got around it!. I was getting a lot of "err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144" and then the installer just exited. I switched from Windows 2000 to Windows XP and BAM - installed first time.

- The wine eject instructions aren't correct, as I have detailed above. Wine eject is used to swap CDs during an install where you need to swap CDs (as Ubuntu keeps the in-use CD mounted) - not eject a CD after the installation is done.

Am I any closer? Where I stand now:

When I try to install BTS Patch 3.19 I get the following in the terminal window:
err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet ReadStyleSheet: skipping optional destination

When I try to load Civ4 1.72 I get a "Serious Error" and a blue screen.. eerily resembling a BSD, but without any text.

Oh where oh where is my Civ4?

Yeah - thanks for being our "torch bearer" on this shared journey to get all this working Damunzy. You have given up valuable meglomaniac-world-conquering-time for this!
My pleasure! and pain :) Just trying to save others from some.
Here is an update from me after a little more research and a reinstall of Civ (not wine) tonight.

- After running wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe for the Vanilla Civ4 install the DirectX installer comes up by default and is a default option. After reading the Wine FAQ I see that the intention is probably not to install DirectX here. If this is the case, for clarity I recommend that the instructions say that you cancel out of the DirectX install part of the installer.
wilco! I really need to stop being lazy and install by CD instead of the copied over files. Gotta find the CDs first though.
- I upgraded to the Nvidia 190.16 Beta Drivers released yesterday (July 21st, 2009). This corrected the problem with renderer uninitializing issue. This is further evidence that part of the problem is in the Nvidia driver itself. I recommend trying this Beta driver out if someone is having similar problems.
Get drivers from here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2051461
NOTE for others: The installation of these drivers require some terminal operations including shutting down of the GUI. The instructions are pretty straight forward but if you are leery of doing this you might want your local Linux geek on hand. :)
Quick instructions:
* Download the file (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.16-pkg2.run in my case because I am running 64-bit).
* Close any GUI programs that you don't want to lose unsaved data from (OpenOffice, etc.).
* Press Control+Alt+F1 - this will switch you to an archaic looking terminal.
* cd into the directory where you downloaded the driver
* Run the following commands:
- sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
<Enter Password>
- sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.16-pkg2.run <- For 64-bit
- sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.16.pkg1.run <- for 32-bit
<answer yes to install 32-bit compatibility if you are installing 64-bit driver>
<answer automatic configuration of X>
<other questions can be answered in default>
* After install is complete, start gdm:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
The GUI should start back up and you should automatically should be transfered to tty7-the GUI tty, the Control+Alt+F1 changes you to tty1.
Fun fact: you can press Control+Alt+F#s 1-8 to get different ttys. 1-6 are terminals, 7 is reserved for GUI, and 8 for messages(?).

Update: I just updated to 190.16 but it doesn't solve my RoM 2.7 issue. BtS 3.19 still runs fine though.
- BTS (Release) wouldn't install - but I got around it!. I was getting a lot of "err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144" and then the installer just exited. I switched from Windows 2000 to Windows XP and BAM - installed first time.
It is weird how that works- I have read on the Wine forums that changing Windows versions will sometimes 'unjam' things. I am not sure why this happens...the directx w2k/wxp thing I can theorize but other things just make me want to pull my hair out.
- The wine eject instructions aren't correct, as I have detailed above. Wine eject is used to swap CDs during an install where you need to swap CDs (as Ubuntu keeps the in-use CD mounted) - not eject a CD after the installation is done.
Thanks for the reasoning behind it- good to know info.
Am I any closer? Where I stand now:

When I try to install BTS Patch 3.19 I get the following in the terminal window:

When I try to load Civ4 1.72 I get a "Serious Error" and a blue screen.. eerily resembling a BSD, but without any text.
StyleSheet- makes me think CSS which makes me think also about XML- got msxml3 Override'd?

Added: From some Google searches I did, the richedit:ReadStyleSheet error(s) don't look important.
If you really are bothered by this you can download the DLLs- RICHED20.DLL, riched32.dll, msftedit.dll. At this time I do not recommend doing so. Also, two of these DLLs are available through winetricks but be warned that using winetricks is not supported by any of the Wine forums.

I was recently banging my head for a few days trying to fix a failed Civ4 install. I highly recommend rm -rf .wine. :) I hate having to give up and not figuring out why something is not working but sometimes you just have ta.
Oh where oh where is my Civ4?
It'll get there- got another computer I hope with Windows on it? I am lucky in that my woman and kids have computers with Civ4 installed on them. The computers aren't as nice as mine but they play Civ4 for when mine isn't working and I really need a fix! It is funny that I played Civ4 when it first came out (I went and got the collectors edition!) for a few months and then gave it up until a few months ago and now I am even more addicted than before- BtS and mods like RoM have really expanded the game and almost made it 'perfect'.

StyleSheet- makes me think CSS which makes me think also about XML- got msxml3 Override'd?
Yes, just double checked it now.

From some Google searches I did, the richedit:ReadStyleSheet error(s) don't look important.
If you really are bothered by this you can download the DLLs- RICHED20.DLL, riched32.dll, msftedit.dll. At this time I do not recommend doing so. Also, two of these DLLs are available through winetricks but be warned that using winetricks is not supported by any of the Wine forums.
Well, since the next step is reinstalling Wine anyways, I just went with winetricks - and 'lo and behold the error went away... BUT - the patch installer still crashes silently... now without any errors... just with a bunch of "fixmes"... here is the code from my terminal:

Code:
user@computer:~/Desktop/Civ$ wine Civ4BeyondTheSwordPatch3.19.exe 
fixme:storage:StgCreateDocfile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x321a54) using GetSystemInfo()
fixme:urlmon:DownloadBSC_OnStopBinding No cache file
fixme:msi:MSI_OpenDatabaseW open failed r = 80030003 for L"\\C:\\windows\\temp\\{4F18ED8B-B5AC-4DE1-8FD6-605654B3E47A}\\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}\\vcredist.msi"

Previously the "richedit" errors were also in there, but it looks as though those have been solved.

I was recently banging my head for a few days trying to fix a failed Civ4 install. I highly recommend rm -rf .wine. :) I hate having to give up and not figuring out why something is not working but sometimes you just have ta.

This will be my fourth rm -rf .wine in an attempt to get this going. The last 2 times I have reproduced the same error. Will I do it? Probably... but damn... Can Civ 5 support Linux natively? Please? Oh god/Sid please? All I want to do is rule the world with a monolithic kernel. Is that too much to ask?

I haven't even started thinking about installing Blue Marble, Bug, Bat, FFH2, etc. heh. sigh...

I have 3.17 running great now for over a year. But I can't get 3.19 to install.

Here is my error

Code:
err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage WM_STYLECHANGING: stub
fixme:richedit:ME_HandleMessage WM_STYLECHANGED: stub
fixme:msi:MSI_OpenDatabaseW open failed r = 80030003 for L"\\C:\\windows\\temp\\{B2A47648-0873-4A3B-8256-55985E48FD61}\\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}\\vcredist.msi"

Anyone figure out what is causing this?

I think the problem stems from copying files as alluded to in an earlier post. If I run regedit, I have no entry for BTS and only an empty one for Warlords. Can someone with 3.19 installed correctly, export their registry and post the file? I think if I can get the registry right then it will install.

Ok, I have installed my copy of civ 4 gold edition and sucessfully played a couple games of warlord, w/o the nocd hack. As for BTS i had it installed one time then the patch failed, nothing from reinstalls. I deleted BTS and i now get the following error.

Error Code: -5006 : 0x80070005
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (841)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (http://www.2kgames.com/civ4)
PGUID:32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989
$12.0.0.49985
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) BT_OTHER 65535.65535

Im currently installing on Mint 7, bulit off of ubuntu 9.04.

I think the problem stems from copying files as alluded to in an earlier post. If I run regedit, I have no entry for BTS and only an empty one for Warlords. Can someone with 3.19 installed correctly, export their registry and post the file? I think if I can get the registry right then it will install.
I exported my registry and then compressed it with rar. Let me know if you need it in a different format. Also, you will need to edit the file before importing into your wine after you unrar it:
Code:
 vi test_reg.reg
:%s/user_name/<YOUR_NAME>
Replace <YOUR_NAME> with your user name.

Attachments

• reg.rar
    57.3 KB · Views: 231
I have 3.17 running great now for over a year. But I can't get 3.19 to install.

Here is my error

Code:
err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
fixme:msi:MSI_OpenDatabaseW open failed r = 80030003 for L"\\C:\\windows\\temp\\{B2A47648-0873-4A3B-8256-55985E48FD61}\\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}\\vcredist.msi"

Anyone figure out what is causing this?
Looks like it is trying to install the Visual C redistributable but that is failing for some reason:

I stated using ubuntu about a year ago. I use crossover with the steam version of civ IV. It's as simple as installing steam in crossover and install civ though steam. Didn't need to mod any thing to get it to run! Of course, this may not the best way to go if you don't have the steam version of civ IV and/or crossover.

Here is a screenshot:

I exported my registry and then compressed it with rar. Let me know if you need it in a different format. Also, you will need to edit the file before importing into your wine after you unrar it:
Code:
 vi test_reg.reg
:%s/user_name/<YOUR_NAME>
Replace <YOUR_NAME> with your user name.

Looks like it is trying to install the Visual C redistributable but that is failing for some reason:

Thanks for the reg file. I ended up going for the cheater way out. I took my kids laptop and installed and patched all the way to 3.19 and then just copied the whole Firaxis folder over. It's a cheap way out but with the new SGOTM starting, I didn't have time to fight through it.

I have another very similar laptop also running the Jaunty. It throws the same errors so I will continue to work on getting through this and will post the solution once I figure it out.

Well, a quick update. The memory finally showed up and I installed it, Jaunty pushed a Wine upgrade to 1.1.26 that I took, and now Civ IV is running very nicely. I still get occasional "serious errors" but all in all it runs well.

Just a quick note on the install under Linux.

1. If you have installed Virtual Box with windows XP and enough HD memory dedicated to VB.
2. Install Civ IV + BtS + all patches and whatever .....
3. Make a VB shared folder and move the CivIV folder over to Linux.

The advantage is that the only files that you need to play the game are the d3dx9* and msxml3. No need for mscoree.

I finally have Civ4 running. Since my last post I have done the following in order:

- Upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04
- Using Nvidia 185.18.31 (July 30th, 2009)
- Fresh reinstall of WINE (rm -rf of .wine)
- Installed as per the detailed instructions at the begining of this thread, everything except 3.19 patch installed (vcredist.msi error detailed above prevented the install of that patch).
- During the install I Installed from Harddrive (Copied each CD from CD to Install directories) I believe this is why my registry is set up OK.
- After I completed the install I RSYNC'd from a from a working installation on a Windows Vista machine to my Ubuntu installation. This had the effect of copying all of the files that were different/missing from the source to the target. I did not delete files that were on the target but not present on the source. rsync -urhv <source/directory/> <destination/directory/>
- Installed COREFONTS using Winetricks
- added username to the video group
- [edit/added] Disabled my second monitor (TV) using Nvidia settings and CTRL-ALT-BCKSpc retarted Xwindows.
- CHMOD 666 /dev/nvidia* (this is apparently a bug, and needs to be done any time I reboot the machine - if you are getting nvidiactl errors)
- Added the following to the wine registry (wine regedit):
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"OffscreenRenderingMode" = "backbuffer"
"PixelShaderMode" = "enabled"
"VertexShaderMode" = "none"
"VideoMemorySize" = "256"
- killall awn (Avant Window Manager) any time I run Civ4.
- After running the program changed my Civilizations4.ini to disable Voice recognition, and set the Height and Width to your current screen resolution.
- Run Civilization4.exe. with the following command line: WINEDLLOVERRIDES="msxml3=n" wine /home/user/.wine/drive_c/users/user/Application\ Data/Firaxis\ Games/Sid\ Meier\'s\ Civilization\ 4/Beyond\ the\ Sword/Civ4BeyondSword.exe

With all those changes Civ4 is running. Huzzah! I haven't tested the stability. I have just settled the initial settler and gone into the city screen. There are also a few problems, most noticeably the cursor is not animated and boxy, and secondly the ocean animations have no waves.

After this I decided to be daring and install BUG MOD. In a nutshell the SVN installation instructions are this:
1) Create the folder BUG in your ~\My Games\ directory (anywhere really)
2) apt-get install subversion
3) while in the BUG directory:
svn co http://civ4bug.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/civ4bug/trunk
4) while in the BUG directory:
svn export trunk <Path to your My Games Directory>/My Games/Beyond The Sword
5) <Path to your My Games Directory>/My Games/Beyond The Sword/Custom Assets
6) There are some duplicate folders here, delete the ones that begin with a lower case
7) <Path to your My Games Directory>/My Games/Beyond The Sword
8) mkdir "Bug Mod" (make sure it is 1 directory, a space between "BUg" and "Mod")
9) move the info and usersettings folders into the Bug Mod folder.
10) Start a game, and hit Ctrl-Alt-O to setup Bug Mod.

Next on my list was BlueMarble.
I just installed the .exe using wine. It worked perfectly the first time. Nice.

Now I have to figure out how to fix this damn cursor - or at least get a better looking, less boxy one.

And if anyone figures our how to get around the vcredist.msi installation error during the 3.19 patch install it looks like everything else is all good, at least for me.

Hope this helps someone!

* copy commands, from the download directory:
Code:
cp mscoree.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
cp streamci.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
cp ddrawex.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
cp msxml3.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
cp msxml3r.dll ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32

* Download and copy the following file into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/drivers:
gm.dls – http://www.kirupa.templarian.com/gm.dls
* copy command, from the download directory:
Code:
cp gm.dls ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/drivers

I'm confused, where is the download directory?

I'm confused, where is the download directory?
Whatever directory you downloaded the files into. By default, I believe Firefox saves downloads to Desktop or maybe it prompts you...

so do i copy the commands into the terminal?

Yes, first in the terminal you'd have to cd <DIRECTORY_NAME>
Example:
Code:
cd ~`whoami`\Desktop

hi,

its around 1 week im trying to install civ4 now.
im facing this bug
i tried everything (hope not)but didnt fix it.
i just reinstall ubuntu 9.04 to get the cleanest install possible.
and still the same probleme.
i tried to install msxml3.dll via winetricks but ...
olrind@olrind-laptop:~$ sh winetricks msxml3
Executing wget -O msxml3.msi -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/8/888f34b7-4f54-4f06-8dac-fa29b19f33dd/msxml3.msi
--2009-08-16 00:16:10-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/8/888f34b7-4f54-4f06-8dac-fa29b19f33dd/msxml3.msi
Resolving download.microsoft.com...
and it stay like that for ages.

i did follow ur tutorial step by step btw

cheers

As far as the xml error, I had this with Bts, not warlords to correct this i simply deleted the hidden msxml file in the Bts folder. I had a lot of problems getting the game installed and I tried to reinstall like ten times, before it finally worked. Also i didnt install updates on warlords or nocd hacks and i had it working fine. the nocd hack is not important as far as i have found. I was installing the Gold edition. and then the bts release after that. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom