As odd as it seems, Best diplomatic move is to lie to the AI?

Artifex1

Warlord
I notice in every game I play when they ask me to stop buying land and I tell them it is none of there business I get 2 diplomatic penalties.

I get the "you lied to them" (when I did not) and also I get a "refused to stop buying land".

So due to the bug if I actually lie then buy I only get a "you lied to them" penalty.

Odd but I guess it is best to lie to the AI right? :goodjob:

Or you know...

you could just.. not... buy land xD

Although I think culture acquired tiles tend to trigger the "you lied" to us.

It's more than that. I just played a game where all shared tiles have been acquired for YEARS. It's 1999 AD and the broken promise bug still retriggers every 50 turns. It will wear down to deep red then reset, I've seen it happen for about 6 cycles so far. It's even told me I've kept the promise the neg has dissapeared, then immediately reset to bright red the next turn. It may be originally triggered by the cultural tiles though. not sure. All I know is once the bug begins it will never end in my experience.

Only "positive" thing about this bug is that it might just up the chances of another patch. Not much, but still something.

I think the warmonger penalties lasting forever for even one war are crazy.

Yup, I had a war with someone else FIVE HUNDRED YEARS AGO and you still hate me.

Not believable, not conducive to good gameplay.

Yes, a small patch at the least needs to be made.

On topic, this is a good point; might as well do it and get one diplo hit instead of two!

I like the expansion scolding when I drop a city in the opposite direction of the AI objecting. So if the line up is AI ... my city .... my city .... new city, the AI es about expansion

I like the expansion scolding when I drop a city in the opposite direction of the AI objecting. So if the line up is AI ... my city .... my city .... new city, the AI es about expansion

Ha! Once I spent almost an entire game with a single city, and sometime in the atomic era I planted a second city a few tiles from my cap, and then I got a bunch of nasty messages about my "aggressive expansion" and my people "spreading like a plague" :rolleyes:

yep, black and white AI are hilarious. :D
Still by far the funniest is when they settle on the opposite side of themselves behind your capital, going all the way around your territory to the back side and ignoring the 2-3 city spots of normal forward-settling stature. aka:

o------x--------------------------o where x is your cap and the left-side o is their second city.

You place a city back there too and they say you're stealing all their land. translation: "all the land including your capital is mine and everything back behind it to the sea..." I usually respond by planning to wipe the fool from the map. I mean talk about insanely high-level hypocrisy. I know they are dumb AI but it just feels so evil for them to be calling me up and saying that. Usually this means I can't avoid war so I don't have to wait long for such an AI to take the initiative.

Its been a LONG time since I played Civ5. I purchased it back in 2012 when it first came out as I very much loved CIV4 and figured hey CIV5 is going to be even more awesome.

I stopped playing CIV5 not long after I purchsed it.......anyways many years later (now) I decided to return to CIV with the G&K and BNW expansion etc.
Its definitely made some improvements but the underlying issues appear to have remained and after all these years now can be chalked down to "unfixable broken product"

A) The AI is very stupid (it always was I guess) but the whole 1 unit 1 tile the AI just can't handle it very well.

B) The diplomatic AI with the penalties etc was never done right and diplomacy in CIV is still not ideal IMHO. See Europa Universalis for a "not bad" diplomacy. has its flaws but superior to CIV5.

C) Game has compared to CIV4 etc just become too clunky and choked full of so much stuff etc. Its actually a chore to play.

I'm not going to say CIV4 was superior to CIV5 but in terms of feelings between the 2 games CIV4 as I recall was a lot more straightforward, not as clunky and definitely ran faster.
CIV5 has a lot more awesome in it but I don't think it was well thought out. Rather just all lumped in and they hoped it would work.

But can't work if your underlying AI/Diplomacy system is shockingly bad.

Top Bottom