Civ4/BTS Windows 7 Install Issue

Ajidica

High Quality Person
I'm having issues installing Civ4 on my new computer.
I was able to run it just fine on my old laptop which ran windows 7 (Lenovo T420 Thinkpad from 2011) but when I went to install it on my new desktop- which runs Windows 7 also- I run into many issues.

1) Civ4 doesn't actually launch. I get no errors on installation but when I try and launch the game (with disk 1 in the drive) I hear my disk drive spinning for a bit but nothing happens. When doing some research I read that Civ4 doesn't really work on newer systems due so I decided to skip ahead to installing BtS on the grounds that should fix fully patch up Civ4.
2) When I go to install BtS I get a message about a newer version of Civ4 being available and needing to install a patch. The disk drive hums for a bit and then I get a dialogue box with "Patch Failed to Install. Aborting Installation."

I made sure I was running in compatibility mode and as administrator, nothing. I made sure to not install in Program Files because windows can get cranky with UAC there so installed it to a custom location of D/Games/Civ4. When installing BtS there was no prompt to navigate to where Civ4 was installed. When running setup I made sure to run it as administrator. I have not tried running the setup file in compatibility mode.

Because Civ4 runs just fine on my laptop with Windows 7, I suspect it might be a hardware thing because I had a similar issue with Rome Total War but I was able to fix it by using the CD keys and activating the game through Steam.

I tried manually installing patch 1.74 to Civ4 so BtS wouldn't have to do that but I ran into two issues:
1) There is no link to patch 1.74 on the Civ4 site.
2) When I tried downloading it through the CFC download site, I am taken to gamershell to download it but when I click on the download link I get a missing page 400 error.

I found this earlier thread mentioning "Patch Failed to Install" but their issue doesn't seem to be related to mine as it appears to involve patch discrepencies between different international versions of the game.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=314054

What other information can I provide?

I agree with shadowplay. Most likely, you never let Microsoft install the security "update" on your laptop, that trashed the disc access, or applied the fix and forgot about it. The new install of Windows 7 on your desktop PC probably has the "update" in it. At any rate the link that shadowplay gives describes the problem and has the fix in it.

Thanks for the help guys, I managed to get everything working!
For some reason Civ wouldn't auto-update, so to get everything to work I had to manually install patch 1.61, install BtS, install patch 3.17, then install patch 3.19. Everything seems to be working just fine now.

Top Bottom