New Civs - Confirmed Details

To quote the whole post:
Carthage's traits: free harbor in every coastal city. Units can cross mountains after the first great general is produced, but lose 50 hp if they end their turn on a mountain tile.

One of the Hun traits is "uses city names from other in-game civs"

Ethiopia is in, with Haile Selasse as leader. Very defensive-oriented; one of their traits is a 20% combat bonus against larger civilizations and their special unit (industrial era?) gets a bonus the closer they are to the capital
The Carthaginian second bit is also very interesting.

QUinquerme or however its spelled is my guess for the Ship.

And perfect, a turtling civ without outrageous science boosts!

Ethiopia will be a fun civ for me when I am not using the Maya

QUinquerme or however its spelled is my guess for the Ship.

And perfect, a turtling civ without outrageous science boosts!

Ethiopia will be a fun civ for me when I am not using the Maya

Quinquireme is a Roman ship isn't it?

Quinquireme is a Roman ship isn't it?

Possibly... not my forte of knowledge about the old Carthaginian/Roman world.

Edit: Looking at above post guess I got it right.

Kind of surprised they didn't go with a faith based civ for Ethiopia though.

So that leaves us atm with only 2 faith based civs in an expansion based on faith mostly. Maybe Spain will have been changed... but its surprisingly little.

Kind of surprised they didn't go with a faith based civ for Ethiopia though.

So that leaves us atm with only 2 faith based civs in an expansion based on faith mostly. Maybe Spain will have been changed... but its surprisingly little.

I bet the Aztec UA gets changed so that enemy units killed grant faith instead of culture.

I wouldn't rule out Ethiopia having some sort of faith bonus as well as the defensive stuff - we haven't heard everything yet...

I wouldn't rule out Ethiopia having some sort of faith bonus as well as the defensive stuff - we haven't heard everything yet...
Exactly.
We know a trait and one UU.

So there still could be a religious unit or building.
I vote for a rastafari :p (a real one, not a run-of-the-mill reggae-dude, but one from Shashamane)

Edit:
About the UU. In civ4 the UU was a musketman replacement, the oromo warrior

carthage made them first and the Romans just badly copied them, kind of like most inventions.
i don 't know, i've always heard that the romans invented the quinquereme, even though it's really an innovation, more than an invention. you can really say the same thing about the quadrireme, which i know for a fact was carthaginian.

I vote for a rastafari :p (a real one, not a run-of-the-mill reggae-dude, but one from Shashamane)
maybe ethiopia will get bob marley as a unique cultural advisor.

The Carthaginian UU's are the African forest Elephant and a ship.

OK, I'll miss the Numidians. My guess is the ship is a Quinquereme (really, only logical choice).

Carthage did like their Elephants, but they had mixed success with them. Numidians were always used effectively until they defected and joined the Romans (in which case, they were good for Rome). That being said, if they call it a Forest Elephant (or something like that) and not "Hannibal's Elephants" I'll be ok with it. I'm curious what the Elephant will replace. Probably a Horseman, but still.

ETA: I don't think Carthage technically invented the Quinquereme. I think it was a Greek Kingdom. But they perfected it. Rome merely copied it. It's also good to have Carthage's naval dominance represented in game.

History is written by the victors. Rome wants you to believe they invented it, but it's actually Carthage

but where are your sources, though? anybody can make anything up. without sources, i can say that, i don't know, mayans are descended from egyptians and the reason why i know this is because they both built pyramids and had tons of gods.
all you really have to do is take a quadrireme and add some extra seats and paddles and you've basically got yourself a quinquereme.

but where are your sources, though? anybody can make anything up. without sources, i can say that, i don't know, mayans are descended from egyptians and the reason why i know this is because they both built pyramids and had tons of gods.
all you really have to do is take a quadrireme and add some extra seats and paddles and you've basically got yourself a quinquereme.

Recipe for historical discussions on the internet forums

1. go to wikipedia

2. read wikipedia article

3. come back to forum

4. paraphrase wikipedia article to make it seem like it's your own info

Moderator Action: Please don't troll around.

Even Roman sources didn't claim to invent the Quinquereme. In fact, if you look at Polybius, they make it clear they copied off of Carthaginian designs (the famous story is a shipwreck they copied).

Top Bottom