New Difficulty Level Between Emperor and Immortal

I agree that there is a big difference between Emperor and Immortal and it comes down to the AI getting a huge head start - it's not a very fun race when the other guy starts at the finish line. Immortal can be fun if you slog through the earlier eras and finally get a real race going, Diety is just garbage with the extra settler and literal army the AI starts with.

It would be real nice if the AI actually got stronger, not just the same AI given a progressively bigger bonus. Give the AI a few of the dirty tricks deemed too mean for standard play (AI steals a worker from you for a change).

I agree that there is a big difference between Emperor and Immortal and it comes down to the AI getting a huge head start - it's not a very fun race when the other guy starts at the finish line. Immortal can be fun if you slog through the earlier eras and finally get a real race going, Diety is just garbage with the extra settler and literal army the AI starts with.

It would be real nice if the AI actually got stronger, not just the same AI given a progressively bigger bonus. Give the AI a few of the dirty tricks deemed too mean for standard play (AI steals a worker from you for a change).

You're not the only one that said that... hell, that point has been made over and over for years, but I do agree with you. The AI is... garbage... at handling this game.

Current Difficulty Levels:

Settler: Fan of Justin Bieber
Chieftan: Justin Bieber
Warlord: B***h
Prince: Easy
King: Normal
Emperor: Mudaphuka
Immortal: Alien
Deity: Asian
??: Chuck Norris

I should make this into a poll and maybe if we get enough votes.....
I really, really think the new difficulty level would become the most popular choice very quickly for those who know the game well!

And btw, in case there is still controversy over my original statement :lol: I just meant that it is very easy to go wonder building for tons and tons of wonders if you want to, even with a non-optimal start. The emphasis i meant was not just for wonders, rather to point out that emperor is not a very challenging level for those who know the game and yet it is the "third hardest."

So this is why I really think a new difficulty level in between the current emperor and immortal would be GREAT.

I have a slightly different problem. I play on Deity all the time. I lose many games, win a few. I have tried Immortal a few days ago, and it was so easy. Way too easy to just go and conquer my neighboring civs, getting me 2nd or 3rd in science by turn 100. This just cannot happen on Deity. So, I'd love a difficulty between Immortal and Deity. Something like, the AI to get the same bonuses on production etc etc as on Immortal, but get 2 settlers in the beginning, like on Deity.

I have a slightly different problem. I play on Deity all the time. I lose many games, win a few. I have tried Immortal a few days ago, and it was so easy. Way too easy to just go and conquer my neighboring civs, getting me 2nd or 3rd in science by turn 100. This just cannot happen on Deity. So, I'd love a difficulty between Immortal and Deity. Something like, the AI to get the same bonuses on production etc etc as on Immortal, but get 2 settlers in the beginning, like on Deity.

This is true, and unfortunately because of AI, warfare is way too easy to win. I actually avoid war in early game on purpose because I know I will just win as well. (It's lame, but that's the reality) However, economically, immortal is pretty tough without war, I find. Also, it seems the difficulty scales up as the map gets bigger and more civs are added, especially when one of them runs away with everything in the later game.

I'm not certain about this, but can't you change the AI bonuses somehow through the game's files? I noticed some of y'all mentioning that somewhere. And:

I currently haven't tried anything higher than King. For me, if a certain difficulty forces me to use very specific min/max strategies, I would not feel like I'm playing a game for fun. I'd feel like I'm in math or statistics class.

@sizesixteens:
c:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\DLC\Expansion\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo\CIV5HandicapInfos.xml

Edit: Huh, there is a space in the xml file name (can't edit it away). just delete it...

Hey. how about instead of a new difficulty we make it to where the A.I actually gets smarter in between difficulties rather then cheats more.

+1. Never lost an immortal game, I've beaten maps of all sizes and won with all the VCs, I'm currently about half-way through beating with all civs. I've won a handful of Deity games, lost many many more, but for me it just gets too tedious with insane turn times, etc. slogging through the seemingly infinite enemy units. I, too, would like to see a level between Immortal and Deity.

Instead of new difficulty levels I would rather prefer a custom game setup as it is known from other strategy games, e.g. Master of Orion 2, Master of Magic, Panzer General, ...

Prince Level would be balanced and equal to 100% score. Any player bonus will lower the player's score %, any AI bonus will increase the score %. Vice versa for malus ...

Boni could be things like :
* +10% Research in capital / all cities
* +10% Production in capital / all cities
* +10% Food in capital / all cities
* +10% combat strength all units
* units start with extra experience
* start the game with a free Tech / Social Policy (Culture)
* start the game with a worker
* start the game with a scout

Malus could be :
* -10% Research in capital / all cities
* -10% Production in capital / all cities
* -10% Food in capital / all cities
* -10% combat strength all units

Give a bonus to AI and player to stay balanced.

I was just posting about this, myself.

Is there a list of the default AI advantages by difficulty level? I am trying to figure out how to adjust the handicap xml file just a little bit.

Oh, multiplayer? Well, I am super-broke, and mine is pirated :( I have looked into buying it a few times, but I literally can't afford it.

two new different level

My ideas

Settler (soppress)
Chieftain
Warlord
Prince
King
Emperor
great-Emperor NEW LEVEL (production betwen emperor and imortal)
Immortal
Semi-god NEW LEVEL (production betwen immortal and deity IA start onli with one settler instead of two)
young-deity NEW LEVEL (production same a deity, IA start onli with one settler instead of two)
Deity

Total 10 difficult level...

I won every immortal, but i lose every deity.

I just finished my fourth Emperor Game. There is a slight challenge in the beginning but usually by the third or fourth era I am well on my way to a victory and it just become a "next Turn" fest. I was thinking about bumping my game up to Immortal, but now I am really scared to do so. Maybe I should two or three more Emperor games and really get that early start down pat.

It's possible to add a new level without removing old ones, you know.

Top Bottom