[Guide] The Art of War

You will need to have more strength at the beginning of each battle to get the arrow in the right direction.

We as defenders had 1492, the attacks had 1936 when the battle started.

The game gives the team with the overwhelming advantage more attacks. I am confused if you had 1492, and they had 1936, that's quite a big difference. That's not 95%?

Did you put your guys on heroic to beef up your numbers?

We were all on heroic, I am wondering if they swapped something to heroic to gain the advantage right after the start.

Still the fact that i just sat there and watched 100% of my work/savings get slaughtered and causing no damage makes me never want to play the game again.

Okay, so all heroic and they weren't on heroic until the last minute gave you the IMPRESSION you were awesome, and that impression was erroneous. What have you learned, here?

I don't actually think the formula is

(your strength) / (your strength + enemy strength)

for the chance to get attacks. It seems weighted towards the side with even the slightest advantage. That is, I just had a 25k vs 24.9k battle, and that 100 difference was enough to cause the 25k side to get over 70% of the attacks. It appears to me to be very crucial just to get that number to be larger - at all costs.

In my next battle followup, it was 19k vs 31k. The 31k side only got hit twice over the whole battle. The battle ended at about 30k vs 10k.

Okay, so all heroic and they weren't on heroic until the last minute gave you the IMPRESSION you were awesome, and that impression was erroneous. What have you learned, here?

I learned that I can beg and plead for my teammates to help but they are worthless. One guy initiated a barb fight that was supposed to happen hours after the Civ fight. He gets his medal and then proceeds to offer no units for the Civ fight.

I spent every penny I had and I was actually the one tipping the tides at the last second, but then they swapped to heroic (couldn't have helped this).

Battle system is a huge turnoff for me right now. It's worse than ebay bidding. /rant

Still a fun game for sure, just need to play with a coordinated small group.

I'd love if someone had insight into how casualties calculated. For example, I just had a (very long) battle where I noticed the following.

Our two sides were generally evenly matched, but we had the slight upper hand. I was attacking.

When the defenders hit our longbows, we would lose 16 units. None of our units were heroic, they were all regular.

When we hit their longbows, they would lose 12 units. This happened when our strength was 3200, and theirs was about 2200. And these were at HEROIC stance.

When we hit their phalanxes (regular stance), they would lose either 3 or 4 units.

However, when they hit our cannons we would lose either 2 or 3 units. (regular stance).

Anyway, the entire process of how casualties are calculated is completely bewildering to me - I'm thinking it might have something to do with production cost (why we lose so few cannons when hit), but that is pure conjecture. And it still doesn't explain why we would lose more longbowmen than the defenders, when they had the heroic stance and we didn't AND we had greater overall strength.

Perhaps it is a glitch in the game or something but it just doesn't make sense.

The calculation (this is pure speculation) could be a combination of either the delta in combat values or the shooting sides combat value converted to a percentage of the total hammer value of the opposite side.

For example (not dependant on delta) a 5000 pt force shoots at a 10000hammer value force; 5000 pts may be 5% damage so the other force looses 500 hammers worth of units (so 10 archers or 4 cats).

From the 2kgames wiki:

"Once a Civilization has begun a battle as the attacker, they must place units onto the field within the first five rounds. If they do not, the battle will immediately end as a draw."

Am I reading this right? If my civ as invader pulls out all its troops before the timer hits 0:00, we won't lose our wonders and tech to the defenders? Has anyone confirmed if this is how it'll work?

Alright, I'm still fairly new to the game (the two I'm playing now are only my second and third games), and I'm learning a lot as I go. But on the World Screen, what exactly are the numbers next to the attack and defense icons for each civ?

At first I thought it was total strength, but one of the civs in one of my games has a 0 in attack and 6398 in defense, with 982 riflemen and 46 cruisers (with National Militia and no units deployed in battle). Likewise, in the same game, my civ has a value of 298 attack and 849 defense, with unit makeup totaling 763 attack and 937 defense (also with no units deployed).

None of those numbers line up on attack or defense, so what exactly are those numbers? Or are they supposed to be strength and are just glitched?

I have noticed that primarily Offensive or Defensive units do not have their Strength listed in the opposite category for Civ Strength. Phalanxes do not have their 1 Attack added to Civ Total Attack, and Legions do not have their 1 Defense added to Civ Total Defense. I'm not sure exactly which units count as which, but you can roughly figure it out. For units that are close to being balanced, this throws off the Total Strength a lot. I assume they did this to better calculate CivTotal Attack/Defense if you had to attack AND defend at the same time, but I rarely see that happen. I'd rather it just show ExactRawTotalSum Attack/Defend.

Anyone ever get anything concrete on who gets the medal?

Ive seen it go to strongest, and thought this was the case. But yesterday was in a battle where I had the strongest total units by far, but another guy got the medal, he happened to be DM at the time as well.

Thoughts?

Anyone ever get anything concrete on who gets the medal?

Ive seen it go to strongest, and thought this was the case. But yesterday was in a battle where I had the strongest total units by far, but another guy got the medal, he happened to be DM at the time as well.

Thoughts?

What I've learned is it is NOT only about who has the strongest/most troops during the battle - but ALSO during the 20 hours countdown.

So I was waiting until close to battle start (within 5 minutes) to put in my very big stacks to win the war - far more troops then others, but the MVP kept going to others who had much smaller strength/troops... but they had them there for the whole 20 hours (or close to it.)

It really stinks that it works that way.

^^
Retreat/remove the stacks of the MVP.
Or, what happened to me, when the MVP has lost all his troops during the battle and didn't reinforce troops,
the medal will be assigned to the next MVP.

I've found the oppsite, Tatran. Another player had perhaps 100 units in the battlefield for 20 hours. I put my 500 in five minutes before. When I see halfway through the battle that he's getting the MVP medal, I withdraw all his troops. For the second half of the fight, I'm the only one with troops in the battle - but he still gets the MVP.

Alright, so last night I had a battle I was fighting in, and it raised a couple questions for me regarding who gets the MVP in a victory.

1.) When MVP is determined by who contributed most to the victory, what exactly does that mean? Units provided or strength of said units? Say a battle is won by the defenders, consisting of only two stacks: Player A's 25 spearmen (strength 50) and Player B's 15 phalanx (strength 60). Who wins that MVP? Player A for providing more units or Player B for providing more strength? And if the latter, is it base strength or post-stance strength? Would 10 heroic spearmen (strength 40) get the medal over 10 fortified phalanx (strength 20), or the phalanx for having a higher total base strength?

2.) Can a foreign defender be the MVP, or does the MVP have to come from the civs actually involved in the battle (like barbarian invasions)?

I've found the oppsite, Tatran. Another player had perhaps 100 units in the battlefield for 20 hours. I put my 500 in five minutes before. When I see halfway through the battle that he's getting the MVP medal, I withdraw all his troops. For the second half of the fight, I'm the only one with troops in the battle - but he still gets the MVP.

I believe that they changed the system to have a log on who has what and how many units in the battlefield over the course of the battle.

It is no longer viable to win the Military medal just because you are the only one with units on the field at the end.

Foreign armies helping to defend do not gain anything.

I am of the theory that it is the total strength fielded with some modifier due to time spent on the battlefield that will net a player the medal.

Note that it does not depend only upon time in the battle, but also include the 20 hours prior t the battle. So if your teammate puts in 10 phalanx in as soon as the battle is declared, and you put in 200 phalanx in as the battle starts, then

(10 phalanx) x (20 hours) > (200 phalanx) x (1/2 hour)

So he gets the medal.

I'd prefer to see a formula based on unit kills + stack action.
But I haven't seen major or medium game changes during the beta months of CivWorld.
So, I must conclude this game is a failure.

Top Bottom