War - how to achieve it

bholed

King
Morning all,

been playing Civ 111 for quiet a while now and my standard play is
to be quiet aggressive and try to eliminate my nearest rival,

How ever after many games I find my reputation is poor, as I always have to launch an unprovoked attack
does any one know of a way to make the A.I attack me!.

in Civ 11 it was ridiculously easy but as yet have not found a way in Civ 111.

Cheers
Kev

Also, the AI tends to declare war on you for no specific reason at all. Most of the time, it seems as if they want to trigger their Golden Age. Of course, this is unconfirmed, but I think you get civs who got their UU to go to war to you fairly easily.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, the Aztecs started throwing their jaguar warriors against my pikemen :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bholed
How ever after many games I find my reputation is poor, as I always have to launch an unprovoked attack

This does not influence your rep. Declaring war does not permanently destroy it. Breaking deals does. So when you have a trade deal with a civ you attack, your rep is ruined because of the deal breaking.

Originally posted by Shabbaman
Also, the AI tends to declare war on you for no specific reason at all. Most of the time, it seems as if they want to trigger their Golden Age. Of course, this is unconfirmed, but I think you get civs who got their UU to go to war to you fairly easily.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason, the Aztecs started throwing their jaguar warriors against my pikemen :rolleyes:

I have seen some very very dumb out of the blue AI attacks on higher levels. I remember the Romans (5 cities) declared war on me (Iroquis, 20+ cities). They had legions, I owned tanks! I was ready! 15 tanks or so! half a turn later Rome was mine!

So stupid!

Originally posted by Stapel

I have seen some very very dumb out of the blue AI attacks on higher levels.

England attacked my once while on my way to domination: 3 cities, 3 Ships-of-the-line, 3 cav.
It only took time to trek through her mountains... no time at all to eliminate her... :D

Originally posted by Stapel

I have seen some very very dumb out of the blue AI attacks on higher levels. ...
True, true
Oh How Very True, on Monarch+ I see it all the time
Seems that the higher the level, the more AI/AS rely on handicap, but then again, there's more of them where they come from; It's not a big problem for the computer to loose a couple of weak civs to a player, maybe it's freeing some processor power or something... kind like pruning weak branches...

Originally posted by bholed

Cheers
Kev

Your reputation isn't being hurt by launching unprovoked attacks, cause I do it all the time. What WILL hurt your reputation is:
1) having troops in enemy territory before declaring war (even if it's them that declares war on you)
2) attacking when you still have time left on your peace treaty
3) razing enemy cities (even if they are auto-razed size 1 cities)

If you are doing any of those things, stop. If not, maybe you just need embassies, or need to offer more trades.

How about leaving an undefended city on their border and then harassing them - demanding tributes, overtly spying...

If they see weakness or a prime opportunity are they more inclined to attack? (That is if you have a meager city that you can spare the suffering of a turn in enemy hands)...

Originally posted by Oddible
How about leaving an undefended city on their border and then harassing them - demanding tributes, overtly spying...

If they see weakness or a prime opportunity are they more inclined to attack? (That is if you have a meager city that you can spare the suffering of a turn in enemy hands)...
You can also offer them insulting trades, like 1 gold for all their techs and cities. That ticks them off.

There's no need to wait for them to attack though. I always just renegotiate the peace treaty and ask for everything they have.

I just declare war honorably from the diplomacy options (making sure none of my units are over the border and that I'm not breaking a deal in the process). This doesn't ruin your reputation.

You have to be careful as your reputation can go down in other unplanned ways. Suppose you have a trade deal with an opponent and that opponent is killed off by another AI player before the trade deal expires. Result? Loss of reputation. I also suspect that if you kill off a civ, against which you had a military alliance with another civ, before the alliance runs out you will lose some reputation. Though that's still conjecture. It's very hard to keep your reputation untarnished (though I'm no peace monger). My current game is my best attempt so far. 1800AD plus, yet with the dawn of mutual protection pacts it won't last.

I can never get the AI to declare war on me when I want them to. :( I'm not worried about my reputation, but war weariness really hurts when you're the aggressor. There was one game I was in a world war. Like 10 civs were at war with me for 100+ turns and I had no problem with war weariness. But then there was a civ I had to pass through to destroy the civ I was targetting and she kept kicking me out so I had to declare war on her. All of a sudden war weariness became so unbearable I had to switch governments. I didn't even break any deals or ROP rape.

But I've tried demanding stuff, leaving cities undefended, spying, etc and they never declare war. They just get furious and that's it.

shillen, if they are already furious, and you unsuccefully use a spy option OTHER THAN SEARCHING CITIES, they will declare war.

Well, the biggest problem is I rarely get Espionage hehe. I think the AI values Nationalism 5 times higher than it should. I'm not willing to pay 3000 gp for a worthless tech. Even when I capture half their cities I still can't extort Nationalism out of them. So I don't usually get it until much later in the game when there's a weak civ that has it and I can give him a bunch of techs that won't matter overall. But that's my problem I guess.

Billindenver mentioned:

What WILL hurt your reputation is:
(cut)
2) attacking when you still have time left on your peace treaty

Really? I could have sworn I saw the peace treaty duration shown as "in effect until war is declared again".

Maybe that was only on a no tribute treaty, just peace on both sides.

The Peace Treaty will last for 20 turns, then it will continue until war is declared. You only get the rep hit if you declare war again during the first 20 turns.

You don't really need to have them declare war on you. The only 2 concerns when declaring war are the first 20 turns of a peace treaty and not having units in their territory.

There is some disagreement on whether declaring and attacking on the same turn is bad, but I will do it most of the time.

Top Bottom