Goz-1, I left my wallet at home, but...

I am still in.

My favorites, in order from best to worst:

4. Didn't like at first but it grew on me. I like being coastal in case we need to build ships but still having enough land tiles to work. Tons of production and sufficient food to utilize it. Lack of gold and luxuries so that will have to be settling priority. I think this start favors aggressive play and early puppeting.
1. Good production and lots of forests for chop rushing early. May need a CS ally or HG for enough food. River and Silver should give decent gold. Kinda wary of starting inland as we might get surrounded by aggressive opponents.
2. Good food, tons of gold, decent production. I think this map favors a science approach. Maybe early NC plus PT and lots of RA's to try to slingshot to Chemistry for early Cannons. Kinda hesitant to see what the rest of the land looks like.
3. I like the Marble and Sugar. Should have decent food and gold and ok production. But there is desert south and I think I see tundra north. Inland start worries me. Just seems a bit too risky with so many good options.
5. Not enough gold or production to make up for the distinct lack of food. Just doesn't do anything for me.

I have installed fraps so I know how to make screenshots however how to put them on the web is a other story

You need to save screenshot in JPG format and then uploud it however how do you do that

YOu can sign me in if someone can explain me how to change screenshots to JPG formats

Interesting choices... That mining start (2) is so tempting for a beeline, but once you get to Chivalry, I don't see many likely spots for horses. And then there's the coast :yuck:. 1, 3, and 5 appear to have potential for nearby horses (less so in 3, but 3 looks like a good start). 1 looks good for a chop strategy, but would be production poor after you hacked all those trees. 4 and Hanging Gardens would be awesome. 5 is probably the all-around safest bet for some horses, production and gold. Hanging gardens would be great there too.

I see enough players here to run the SG, so I moved to Optional's thread. I'm still interested in your game, gozpel, so if someone has to leave, you know who to call.

I like number 5 a lot of resources and some stone for production. I had the same kind of start at my game at king and I used the resources to get money to upgrade to mandukavs and stone to produce horseman

What's a succession game exactly? because I would sign up for this if I knew :crazyeye:

I have installed fraps so I know how to make screenshots however how to put them on the web is a other story

You need to save screenshot in JPG format and then uploud it however how do you do that

YOu can sign me in if someone can explain me how to change screenshots to JPG formats

If you open Fraps and go to the screenshot tab there is an option to choose which format to save screenshots in. BMP is default but you can change it to JPG. You can also convert already taken screenshots using the instructions in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMiff3_h2YQ

To post it on the forum you can either upload to an image hosting site like Imageshack or Photobucket and then use the insert image button on the forum to paste the image URL (generally the image host sites give you several options, including a couple specifically sized for forums), or you can use the attachment button to upload it to the site as an attachment to your post. I personally think the first option is better for this thread as it will allow you to easily place the image where you want it and provide some commentary nearby.

I'm practically fine with any of them, though i am still in favor of 2 and 4.

Delurk

Obviously its hard to tell from starting screens but maybe taking in to account which ones might have horses in the opening spot could be a good way to choose. For me start 1 and 5 look more likely to spawn horses. Of course this is based on pure hype!

Relurk

I don't know what's this exactly, butI'll say what I think: ALL ARE GREAT.

But 4 looks just awesome. It has lots of production available, with lots of food nearby too.

If enough players has checked in, maybe we could vote? I suggest we all write the two we like the most and see if any one spot gets mentioned more than the rest. In that case mine would be 2 and 4.

What's a succession game exactly? because I would sign up for this if I knew :crazyeye:

A succession game is a game where the players take turns and play a handful of turns, after discussion. At the start the first players normally play 10-20 turns, but things can happen and sometimes 10 is enough to hand over the game to the next player.

Not many things are done WITHOUT discussion, like placing new cities, wage war or important deals and of course choosing techpath and policies. We talk about it and decide what is best for us. :)

We try to give detailed information on what happened during our turnset, back up with a couple of pictures and stuff.

Check out Optionals game: ="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=430037"

This game will work in the same way, and I hold on to a spot if you're interested.

Ok, who checked in: The roster is full. Sortof.

gozpel
SLH is easier to spell :)
Sparthage
jeffah
apocalypse
(JoanK) holding spot, if she thinks it's interesting enough

I vote 4 and 3.

4 has the best chance of becoming an incredible powerhouse one day, one of the best I've seen...and I've seen many starting locations. But what's beyond can always ruin a good start. But I love it.

3 is another spot, but tends more to working on RA's and pop. The marble is the extra plus for this map, we can choose any direction here.

1 is a very good spot for chopping and a long-term site, but it's not better than my choices, I think. But as a city site i any civgame, this is a good spot.

2 is great economically, but a lot of desert around, which makes me suspect there can be 20 more tiles of useless desert around. And as I said before, we are most likely on the near end of a peninsula, but knows.

5 is very nice, but I think we're near the coast, looks like water to the east. But again, who knows? :)

I don't care much about horses, I usually never have more than 2-3 at any given time, just to kill off injured stragglers. And I don't remember when I didn't have at least a dozen horses, including most of them from CS. We're are gonna get a couple of city states, sooner or later.

I'm more concerned about iron and I don't think any map have the higher probability to get us some, except maybe 1, at least of what we can see. IF No4 got iron too, it might be the best map I've rolled.

I'm not biased at all. ;)

I too don't use horses that much and i agree that iron is often much more important, atleast for my playstyle. :) I use infantry the most and i usually attack just after a new infantry tech, like steel or rifling.

If I go to war, I want iron around but not upgrading warriors just yet. I have 4 warriors at home and when Bismarck declares, I upgrade them in one turn...and I'm sure I can see his units go: Oops!

Sometimes the invading army retreats, which is really fun to look at, but then you have to hunt them down. Even better is to get to Steel first and send 6 LS out for plundering. Beats the slow rifle, infantry game any time. :)

My goal is to always go to war with a tech advantage, often with better infantry. LS if i have iron and rifles if i don't. Of course a lot of the time you can't really choose when to go to war can you? ;)

I am a man

I am a man

I had to take a stab on JoanK, so I failed. :)

Joan is a very common name in English speaking countries, but that I would lose that 50/50...? My apologies.

So JoanK, are you interested to play then? :)

Catalan and BCN - Barcelona?

Top Bottom