Art and Lore

Do you really need that many tags? Can't you just clone the Great Person tags so that buildings would have something like "+2 :espionage: Animal" or "+20% :espionage: Adventurer"? Of course the :espionage: icon would be replaced by the spawning icon.

EDIT: Wait ... those are the 15 tags you are talking about. Nevermind. :/

For the most part, yes. Doing a straight clone of the GP system would work for some civs (Grigori), but it would remove the random spawn mechanic, and have far too few modifiers.

As this effects lore the most, I'm posting it here.

The Elohim Monk is being renamed the Friar. There are a few reasons for this:

1. First and foremost, the name is needed for a different, undisclosed project. Feel free to speculate wildly.
  2. Second, I'm tired of the "Monk? It must be Eastern! Lets give it Ki Attacks!!11!1!" type crap. :lol: It's happened in quite a few mods... Honestly, even FF's promotions (and those in RifE) have names cutting it a bit close. The Elohim are quite obviously Western in origin, and influenced heavily by Christianity; Hence, the Friar name. It's close enough to the original meaning, and yet completely 100% non-ambiguous. It will instantly be seen as a western unit. The name fits far better in the aforementioned undisclosed project.
I'm also planning to change the art (which really doesn't fit the rest of the civ IMO, and is part of the whole "It must be Eastern!" thing... Much as I love SeZ's artwork, I think he went in the wrong direction there). To what, I'm not entirely set. For now, I'm thinking of this:

Spoiler :

Feel free to suggest different art, or to complain about the change. However, please speculate about the new feature which necessitated the name change in this thread.

Edit: To be clear, the only reason I'm announcing this now is so any complaints can be gotten out of the way and people can get used to the idea early, rather than after the patch. Still no ETA. ;)

For what it's worth, I like the "new" art, and I agree that it would be a good thing to move the Elohim away from Eastern influences (even though I do like the current Monk and it's art).

I like both the name and the graphic. Also that they wield swords. Swords mean business ! :viking:

For what it's worth, I like the "new" art, and I agree that it would be a good thing to move the Elohim away from Eastern influences (even though I do like the current Monk and it's art).

Ah, I missed this one earlier; I like the current art too, I just don't think it fits. At all. IIRC Ahwaric is using it for his Dao civ, so when he gives the okay to merge that it'll be back. :lol:

Luckily, his naming doesn't interfere with my plans. :mischief:

I like both the name and the graphic. Also that they wield swords. Swords mean business ! :viking:

Honestly, if I could I'd change it to a mace. But a sword is good too. :lol:

Alright people, I'm wanting to tweak the Recon line a bit. To summarize:
  • Drop Hunters to 3:strength:, equivalent to a warrior with low city attack
  • Drop the cost of Hunting to between 200-250; This brings it on par with other equivalent techs, makes camps more feasible, and most importantly drops the cost of FoL to that of OO and RoK.
  • All techs along the Recon path will have prices looked at; Most adjustments will be in the first few techs.
  • Add a new unit to the Tracking tech, at 5:strength:

So basically, Hunters are being split in two to keep the lowered price from being too powerful. I want to name the new unit the Tracker, but that is the name of the Austrin Ranger UU.

Which brings me to my question... What should I rename the Austrin UU? :lol:

Path finder?

I'm not sure I like that, but after putting it in Thesaurus.com it DID lead me to 'Trailblazer' and 'Seeker'... Either of those could work, though I prefer Trailblazer. ;)

I agree that Trailblazer is best. In fantasy "Seeker" has many other connotations.

---

Will Hunters get a :hammers: break along with the :strength: nerf? Or something else?

I just don't see a niche for 3:strength: 60:hammers: Hunter that requires a building.

I agree that Trailblazer is best. In fantasy "Seeker" has many other connotations.

---

Will Hunters get a :hammers: break along with the :strength: nerf? Or something else?

I just don't see a niche for 3:strength: 60:hammers: Hunter that requires a building.

Yes, the Hunter will be adjusted entirely to fit; Cheaper cost, possibly no building requirement; I intend to leave it able to learn Subdue Animal, whereas the Tracker will start with it.

And yes, Seeker makes me think of Goodkind. :lol:

Yes, the Hunter will be adjusted entirely to fit; Cheaper cost, possibly no building requirement; I intend to leave it able to learn Subdue Animal, whereas the Tracker will start with it.

As an alternative, make Subdue Animal and Beast available for free with the appropriate tech and remove the +versus animals from both. Possibly even make them give a penalty; defeating, capturing and training must be harder than just killing.

Then Hunters can get it at the same cost as Trackers, but Trackers are the first unit strong enough to benefit.

IMO, FoL is the best of the three already. Not because of any units, not because of temples bonuses, but because Guardian of Nature + Bloom + Lumbermill + Ancient Forests = WIN!

IMO, FoL is the best of the three already. Not because of any units, not because of temples bonuses, but because Guardian of Nature + Bloom + Lumbermill + Ancient Forests = WIN!

Few points:

1. I'm considering changing the Elven synergy with FoL, ala Orbis. Seems wrong for Elves to have the most populous cities.
  2. Lumbermill in AF will be a poor choice....

Top Bottom