Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

The assumption here doesn't hold.

You still have an x-turn deal going with the AI in question.

Almost everything in the game comes as situational. Without a save and more information than you've given us, most of what can get accurately said should sound like "academic free-thinking". I can't tell you exactly what's going on without information from the 'trade' section (which details current x-turn deals) of the trade advisor... either via screenshots or a save.

Yes i understand that assumption doesnt hold 'cos reality proved me different and after 6 turns i anyways have "broken" RoP.

No i dont think i had x-turn deal. I'm pretty sure i cancelled everything and i could also trade with other civs with no additional costs as well, so....

Well i'm sorry if we misunderstood each other, i'm trying to to understand if by given data this should be happenening or not. Not actually trying to find the cause. I mean who knows, maybe i'll upload 2 saves(before and after), screenshots, write poems here and it turns out that its the way it should be happening....:crazyeye: So i am just asking understand whats going on... So as i understand now, it should not be happening.

I'll try to remember next time i have this and get a saves:rolleyes:

I built a Privateer and moved it within 1 block of a city that I wanted to bombard, but no button came up so that I could do that. In fact I can't seem to do anything with my Privateer but move it around. Couldn't even find it as a unit in the manual.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
carl

I don't know much about Privateers, but here's a Quick Answer:

In Conquests, there is a description of the unit in the Civilopedia. It says you can bombard another civ's shipping, so maybe you can't bombard land tiles!?

I use Privateers primarily to blockade AI-controlled tiles or coastal cities. :)

i have recently found the game, played 3 or four times threw, and deicided i wanted to take the time to play with out conquest victory ect ie the 2020 end to my game cant rember what that was but heres my thing
i set it to where i was supose to be able to win only when i killed all the enemys i like a big army and all the map was pretty developed when i attacked a city the other civilation i attacked all there city and won , all there other citys turned to rubble and they would make one city.
so skiped that civ and went to the next one and they did same thing, when i attacked the first city of the next civ and won all there other citys turned to rubbel and they to retreated to one city , and then with the third and final oponent ...
is this a bug or a setting? my thing is i just want to take my leasure and build up a big army and poke around learning the game... i generly spend 24 hours playing a single game.. any idea or info on this would greatly be appreated thank you

You have "Elimination" mode turned on, as well as "Respawn".

Elimination mode causes all of a Civ's cities to turn to rubble when you take one of them. Respawn causes defeated AI's to return with a new, single city after they have been eliminated.

Privateers only have defensive bombardment. The other question, Padma is right, elmination causes a civ to be destroyed if even one city is captured. Not a recommended setting. Tie it in with respawn and things get even weirder.

FWIW, the 'new' settings (Elimination, Regicide, Capture the Flag/Princess, etc.) were intended for multiplayer games, only. The AI wasn't made 'smart' about using them. For MP, they provide more variation, and allow for faster games (Elimination, in particular).

Re: Privateers.

They can't bombard. That would have made them quite useful...

Edit: D'oh. Already explained above.

Things were going along pretty smoothly, I had Chichen Itza surrounded, and starvation hit all my cities at once, every turn. What happened?

Also, from a strategy point of view: I have Chichen Itza surrounded, I hit them once or twice with cannon and trebuchet, but when I send in units, my units are dropping like flies. The Maya's have asked for a peace treaty, but I'm not willing to give it to them, as I have a mutual protection package against them with the Persians, and I don't want to piss off the Persians who are at war with them, too. How do I tell just how many units they have? What's the best strategy to defeat them?

thanks.

As for the Privateer issue, when I read it again, I understood. thanks for the replies

Things were going along pretty smoothly, I had Chichen Itza surrounded, and starvation hit all my cities at once, every turn. What happened?

I'm thinking it may have had something to do with war weariness.

Also, from a strategy point of view: I have Chichen Itza surrounded, I hit them once or twice with cannon and trebuchet, but when I send in units, my units are dropping like flies. The Maya's have asked for a peace treaty, but I'm not willing to give it to them, as I have a mutual protection package against them with the Persians, and I don't want to piss off the Persians who are at war with them, too. How do I tell just how many units they have? What's the best strategy to defeat them?

Capital cities always have more defenders than other cities and the number of defenders seems to increase with the difficulty. I would anticipate 4-6 defenders and probably use an attack force of at least double that size but it depends on what you're using to attack and what defenders you're up against.

Second regent game ever. Playing as Germany, who I never used before. Lucky first few turns popping two settlers from goody huts, over the moon till it sinks in I am on a small island on my own and to top it off I only have one luxuary

Picture is of me in 2470 with three towns and coastline revealed.

Never had this kind of a start before, any tips or shoul I just pack it in? Playing on contentints map so they are probably all together on one landmass.

Attachments

• regent start.jpg
    regent start.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 303
^
Save and retire. Then see where the "bridge" to the other landmass is in the retrospect map. Use that to your advantage.

^
Save and retire. Then see where the "bridge" to the other landmass is in the retrospect map. Use that to your advantage.

Of course, that is only if you want to "cheat", and learn what the map is like before you play it. ;)

Myself, I would play it out for a while, yet. Get some Galleys built, so you can explore a bit beyond the edges of what you can see. Maybe you can spot a "bridge" that way. You can always quit the game later if you find your position is completely untenable.

(Edit: If you can manage to get the Great Lighthouse built, that would benefit, as well, allowing your Galleys to search farther afield.)

Once you knew you were on a small island, you need to pack those towns in tightly. Get boats out to see what is around, you may find other islands near.

Second regent game ever. Playing as Germany, who I never used before. Lucky first few turns popping two settlers from goody huts, over the moon till it sinks in I am on a small island on my own and to top it off I only have one luxuary

Picture is of me in 2470 with three towns and coastline revealed.

One bit of advice. If you are going to play on a continent map, Seafaring civilizations are a very good idea, as the German traits of Militaristic and Scientific do not help you that much. I would forget the settler in Leipzig, and build a couple of workers instead. You have 3 fish, a wheat, and a fresh water source in the lake for irrigation. Start mining the grassland to get your shield production up, and once you have Writing, head for Philosophy and then Republic to get rid of the Despotism penalty. Then get Mapmaking for the harbor. Harbors add 1 food to every coast, sea, and ocean square, so with the fish, you have extra food for more citizens to mine hills and mountains. You have some bonus grassland as well. Run an irrigation line from your lake to the plains and get them irrigated as soon as possible. Put the settler you are making in Berlin on the coastal square next to the two mountains with gems, and connect those up when you can for trading purposes. Since you are researching Writing, you have the Alphabet, so can build curraghs. Once in Republic, get one of those built and out exploring as soon as possible. Your biggest problem right now is the Despotism penalty killing your surplus food potential.

Never had this kind of a start before, any tips or shoul I just pack it in? Playing on contentints map so they are probably all together on one landmass.

It is very doubtful that all of the AI civilizations are on one continent. On a continent map, you will have several land masses separated by sea/ocean normally, with starting points spread out. Given the way resources tend to be grouped, you have two surplus gems for trade, and reasonable supplemental food sources. It will take some work, but I do not see that you should pack it in. Hard to say what other resources there are in the mountains and hills that will appear. I am assuming that you have not researched Iron Working as yet. If you have, and do not have any Iron, given all of the mountains and hills, you might want to pack it in.

From looking at the mini-map, I would anticipate that there is at least one continent close to your island. If you can meet some of the other civs and get some settlers on the continent, you'll be in good shape. You don't want to get stuck on that island and end up way beyond in techs.

played on till 670. Beelined for mapmaking got that and built galleys. Though I new where the "bridge" was and set sail and eventully made land. It's a long crossing supprised my galley made it. Have some Iron and am maybe 20 turns out from republic have maybe 6 towns now

Have met
Egypt Who traded me up four techs for writing and map making.
Vickings and Carthage wanted philosphy for same

so I am thinking I need to get a settler over to the mainland quick smart? any other plans I should be putting in place in this type of situation?

Top Bottom