Improved Civ 3 Mod

SK138

Warlord
NEWS: Improved Civ 3 Mod now has its own forums so go there for all future updates and to post feedback!
http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/index.php?h=1&pf=320

I've just released the Improved Civ 3 Mod v0.2, you'll need v0.1 to play it though.

Here are the files: v0.1 - 45 MB
v0.2 - 20 MB

This is still a BETA version so ther may be some errors (hopefully my modding skills kept that to a minimum).
If you have any problems, find any errors, or find things that really unbalance the game, please report them on the board or email me at SK138@adelphia.net

***Improved Civ 3 Changes So Far...***

Version 0.1 - Available (7/05/03)

-Made the Galley wheeled and oceans impassable to wheeled units so there is no ancient age expansion.
-Increased total number of turns from 540 to 1000
-Gave the Radar Artillery a defense strength of 1 so it gets destroyed instead of captured
-Added Crossbowman unit to replace Longbowman for all civs except England
-Longbowman is a UU for England with an extra defense point
-Added an Indian Rifleman and made it unique to the Iroquois and gave it an extra attack point
-Made the Iroquois Mounted Horseman just as good as the regular Horseman since it really wasn't an Iroquois unit
-Added the Indian Warrior to replace the regular Warrior for the Iroquois, no stat difference, just a flavor unit
-Added an attack point to the Musketeer unit
-Paratrooper's attack is now 8
-Marine's attack is now 9
-Guerilla's attack and defense is now 7
-Added a Grenadier unit which is an offensive/defensive unit that comes with nationalism, it upgrades to a guerilla and has an attack of 6, defense of 4, movement of 1, and cost of 8
-Longbowman, Crossbowman, and Medieval Infantry now upgrade to Grenadiers
-Added an adventurer unit that has a movement of 3, defense of 2, cost of 3, treats all terrain as roads, and comes with the Scientific Method technology
-Explorer now upgrades to Adventurer, however, the Conquistador unit does not
-Scouts will no longer upgrade to Conquistadors
-Samurai now replaces Medieval Infantry instead of the Knight
-Samurai now costs only 4, its defense is now 2, and it upgrades to a Grenadier
-New graphics for barbarian camp
-New graphics for goody huts
-New graphics for pollution
-Added a Mounted Samurai unit that is the same as a regular Knight but it has the blitz ability
-Added the Siege Cannon unit which comes with the Gunpowder technology, it has a cost of 2, a bombard strength of 6, it requires iron and saltpeter, and it upgrades to the regular cannon
-Catapults now upgrade to Siege Cannons
-Cruise Missiles now have Bombard Range of 6, they are immobile, they can re-base, and they have the tactical missile flag so they act more like a tactical nuke unit without the nuclear explosion
-AEGIS Cruisers can now carry two tactical missiles (Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes)
-Nuclear Submarines can now carry two tactical missiles (Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes)
-Added a special Barbarian Galley with a bombard strength and range of 1 so they no longer sail harmlessly up and down the coast
-Cruise Missiles now have lethal land and sea bombardment
-Every sea unit now has an increased movement of 1
-Added Arabian Horseman unit to replace the Knight for the Persians, Zulus, Carthaginians, Egyptians, and Babylonians
-Changed Arabian Horseman to have a movement of 3 and attack strength of 3 so it is like a unique unit for the civs that have it
-Changed name of Tank unit to M4 Sherman
-Changed name of Panzer unit to PzKpfw III and lowered it defense and movement by 1
-Romans can now build the PzKpfw III
-Added the Panther tank for the Germans which has a defense of 10, attack of 16, movement of 3, and cost of 11
-Added the Scotland Civilization to the game
-Added Bronze resource to the game
-Spearmen, Hoplites, and Numidian Mercenaries now require the bronze resource to be built
-The Impi unit does not require bronze but now costs 3 shields
-Added the Kilted Clansman unit as a UU for the Scotland civilization
-Kilted Clansman is the same as a normal swordsman but costs 1 shield less
-Added the T-34 tank for the Russians which has a defense of 8, attack of 18, movement of 3, and a cost of 11
-Added the Tiger II tank for the Germans which has an attack of 20, defense of 14, movement of 1, and cost of 11
-Made all bombard units have zone of control
-Made destroyers, battleships, submarines, nuclear submarines, ironclads, frigates, and Man-O-Wars have zone of control
-Added the Kyu-Go tank for the Japanese which has an attack of 10, defense of 6, movement of 2, and cost of 9
-Added the M26 Pershing tank for the Americans which has an attack of 20, defense of 9, movement of 2, and cost of 11
-Added the Churchill tank for the English which has an attack of 16, defense of 12, movement of 1, and a cost of 10

Version 0.2 - Available (7/10/03)

-Added the Russian KV-1 tank which has a movement of 2, attack of 17, defense of 10, and cost of 11
-Added a defense and cost point to Medieval Infantry
-Added a defense and cost point to Samurai
-Changed the T-34 and based it off of the T-34/76, now it has an attack of 16 and ignores movement costs for tundra and desert
-Changed the attack of the Pershing to 18 instead of 20
-Changed cost of Pershing to 12
-Changed cost of Tiger II to 12
-Changed Fighter unit name to Spitfire
-Changed Jet Fighter operational range to 8 and bombard strength to 8
-Changed F-15 operational range to 8 and bombard strenth to 9
-Changed Bomber bombard strength to 10
-Changed Stealth Fighter bombard strength to 8
-Changed Stealth Bomber bombard strength to 12
-Maximum turns for a tech increased to 45
-Minumum turns for a tech increased to 5
-Added the Sturmtiger unit for the Germans which will replace the artillery unit when the Motorized Transportation tech is discovered
-Sturmtiger stats are the same as a regular artillery but with a movement of 2, a defense of 1 so it can't be captured, and it requires oil and rubber
-Changed attack on the Zero to 5 and the defense to 1
-Changed turn options in scenario properties so the game ends in 2025 at 865 turns
-Changed Bomber name to B-17 Flying Fortress which has a bombard strength of 10, cost of 10, defense of 2, and operational range of 7 (Built by: America, England)
-Added the B-29 Superfortress which has a bombard strength of 12, cost of 12, defense of 3, and operational range of 9 (Built by: America)
-Added the He-111 bomber which has a bombard strength of 7, cost of 8, defense of 1, operational range of 6 and lethal sea bombardment (Built by: Rome, Germany, China, Spain, Ottomans)
-Added the G3M bomber which has a bombard strength of 7, cost of 9, defense of 2, operational range of 9 and lethal sea bombardment
-Bombers will no longer be able to land on carriers
-Wonder Splashes with information about the wonder
-New fort graphics
-New terrain graphics using Sn00pys terrain with green water
-Changed the Fighter name to Spitfire and gave it a cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 5, and bombardment strength of 2 (Built by: Egypt, Russia, America, France, England, Scandinavia, Ottomans)
-Added the Bf-110 fighter which has a cost of 8, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 6, and bombardment strength of 5 (Built by: Rome, Germany)
-Added the P-51 Mustang fighter which has a cost of 8, attack of 5, defense of 2, operational range of 6, and bombardment strength of 4 (Built by: Russia, China, America, England, Scandinavia)
-Added the P-38 Lightning fighter which has a cost of 9, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 7, and bombardment strength of 5 (Built by: America, France)
-Added the Zero fighter which has cost of 6, attack of 5, defense of 1, operational range of 5, and bombardment strength of 2 (Built by: Japan)
-Added the FW190 fighter which has cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 5, and bombardment strength of 2 (Built by: Germany)
-Added the F4F Wildcat fighter which has a cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 4, and bombard strength of 5 (Built by: Greece, America, France, England)
-Added the Bristol Beaufighter which has a cost of 7, attack of 3, defense of 2, operational range of 6, bombard strength of 2, and lethal sea bombardment (Built by: England)
-Added the Sturmovick attacker plane which has a cost of 7, attack of 2, defense of 4, operational range of 4, bombard strength of 6, and lethal land bombardment (Built by: Russia)

***Questions I Have***
---Should I make all fighters be able to land on carriers or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which ones?
---Should I make all fighters and bombers have lethal land and sea bombardment, or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which ones?
---I want to add the Sturmovick unit that comes with PTW, but I can't find any information on it, does anyone have any good information about it?
---Do the new unit stats listed here seem to work alright or do you think I should change things?

You'll need to download to files for v0.2, the full version of 0.1 which is about 45 megs, and the v0.2 patch which is about 20 megs.

I've been looking for a resource icon for bronze but I can't find one. Could someone try and make or find me one that matches the Civ3 style?

Also, what do you think about some Civs having more UU's then others? Do you think this is okay or will it unbalance the game too much? I am thinking it might unbalance the game a little too much so I am still giving the extra UU, but changing its stats to make it balanced. For example, I may raise the attack by 1, but also raise the cost by 1. What do you think of this?

Originally posted by SK138
I've been looking for a resource icon for bronze but I can't find one. Could someone try and make or find me one that matches the Civ3 style?

Well, i've been working on a mod myself and it took some time to find GIDustin's "compiled resources.pcx". It's in the graphik-mod-section. in the second row/10th&11th column and in the 4th row/7th and 9th column there are thingies, that look like bronze...

hope, this helps :)

Here are some more changes I have made, not too many but more too come soon.

-Changed name of Panzer unit to PzKpfw III and lowered it defense and movement by 1
-Added the Panther Tank for the Germans which has a stronger defense

***Future Changes I am not so sure about (So tell me what you think on these)***

-Should I change the Colisseum name to Stadium and make the Colisseum a wonder that maybe lowers corruption or war weariness?
-Should I add a bronze resource that a Spearman and maybe some other ancient age units will require?
-Should some civs have more UU's then others or will it unbalance the game too much?

***Questions I have about modding***

-Is there a limit to the number of new units that can be added to a mod, and if so, what is it?
-I want to make a nuclear bomb unit that bombers can carry and drop, similar to the ones dropped in Japan in WW2, how could I do this and would the AI use it correctly?

I can't post a new version yet because it is up to 60 mb and I don't have anywhere to post it. Hopefully CDG or CivFanatics will give me some space to post it on.

Here is a list of all the changes so far and hopefully I will be able to post a new version shortly.

***Improved Civ 3 Changes So Far...***

-Made the Galley wheeled and oceans impassable to wheeled units so there is no ancient age expansion.
-Increased total number of turns from 540 to 1000
-Gave the Radar Artillery a defense strength of 1 so it gets destroyed instead of captured
-Added Crossbowman unit to replace Longbowman for all civs except England
-Longbowman is a UU for England with an extra defense point
-Added an Indian Rifleman and made it unique to the Iroquois and gave it an extra attack point
-Made the Iroquois Mounted Horseman just as good as the regular Horseman since it really wasn't an Iroquois unit
-Added the Indian Warrior to replace the regular Warrior for the Iroquois, no stat difference, just a flavor unit
-Added an attack point to the Musketeer unit
-Paratrooper's attack is now 8
-Marine's attack is now 9
-Guerilla's attack and defense is now 7
-Added a Grenadier unit which is an offensive/defensive unit that comes with nationalism, it upgrades to a guerilla and has an attack of 6, defense of 4, movement of 1, and cost of 8
-Longbowman, Crossbowman, and Medieval Infantry now upgrade to Grenadiers
-Added an adventurer unit that has a movement of 3, defense of 2, cost of 3, treats all terrain as roads, and comes with the Scientific Method technology
-Explorer now upgrades to Adventurer, however, the Conquistador unit does not
-Scouts will no longer upgrade to Conquistadors
-Samurai now replaces Medieval Infantry instead of the Knight
-Samurai now costs only 4, its defense is now 2, and it upgrades to a Grenadier
-New graphics for barbarian camp
-New graphics for goody huts
-New graphics for pollution
-Added a Mounted Samurai unit that is the same as a regular Knight but it has the blitz ability
-Added the Siege Cannon unit which comes with the Gunpowder technology, it has a cost of 2, a bombard strength of 6, it requires iron and saltpeter, and it upgrades to the regular cannon
-Catapults now upgrade to Siege Cannons
-Cruise Missiles now have Bombard Range of 6, they are immobile, they can re-base, and they have the tactical missile flag so they act more like a tactical nuke unit without the nuclear explosion
-AEGIS Cruisers can now carry two tactical missiles (Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes)
-Nuclear Submarines can now carry two tactical missiles (Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes)
-Added a special Barbarian Galley with a bombard strength and range of 1 so they no longer sail harmlessly up and down the coast
-Cruise Missiles now have lethal land and sea bombardment
-Every sea unit now has an increased movement of 1
-Added Arabian Horseman unit to replace the Knight for the Persians, Zulus, Carthaginians, Egyptians, and Babylonians
-Changed Arabian Horseman to have a movement of 3 and attack strength of 3 so it is like a unique unit for the civs that have it
-Added the Panther tank for the Germans which has a defense of 10, attack of 16, movement of 3, and cost of 11
-Added Bronze resource to the game
-Spearmen, Hoplites, and Numidian Mercenaries now require the bronze resource to be built
-The Impi unit does not require bronze but now costs 3 shields
-A lot of work to the civilopedia text with updated entries for all the new changes
-Added the Kilted Clansman unit as a UU for the Scotland civilization
-Kilted Clansman is the same as a normal swordsman but costs 1 shield less

Newest Changes (7/6/03)
-Added the T-34 tank for the Russians which has a defense of 8, attack of 18, movement of 3, and a cost of 11
-Added the Tiger II tank for the Germans which has an attack of 20, defense of 14, movement of 1, and cost of 11
-Made all bombard units have zone of control
-Made destroyers, battleships, submarines, nuclear submarines, ironclads, frigates, and Man-O-Wars have zone of control
-Added the Kyu-Go tank for the Japanese which has an attack of 10, defense of 6, movement of 2, and cost of 9
-Added the M26 Pershing tank for the Americans which has an attack of 20, defense of 9, movement of 2, and cost of 11
-Added the Churchill tank for the English which has an attack of 16, defense of 12, movement of 1, and a cost of 10

---IF YOU SEE ANYTHING IN THESE UNIT STATS THAT MIGHT NOT LOOK RIGHT, PLEASE TELL ME---

-Should I change the Colisseum name to Stadium and make the Colisseum a wonder that maybe lowers corruption or war weariness?

I think you should, if you want to keep it all as historicaly real as possible, call it Amphitheatre or Amphitheatrum. (There was only one colisseum in the world, AKA the Amphitheatrum Flavium or something like that. Later, i guess in the middle ages the name colliseum came up.)

A Stadium is the Same as a Circus (eg. Circus Maximus in Rome) and was most time used for running competitions, horseride races and chariot races (hope, those are the correct english words)... If you want to be more detailed in your game, make a different between the smaler stadium and the much larger circus.

anyway: :goodjob:

i've got a problem starting your mod, caused by the lack of starting positions. i think it's because the game tries to start on a blank 100x100 map.

You're probably right Drusus, because I was messing with the map earlier for testing purposes and then I set it to blank again. Sadly, I can't post a new version yet to fix that because it is over 70 megs and I don't have the space to upload it yet. Hopefully I will soon though.

I've fixed the problem with the map Drusus, thanks for the feedback BTW, but I can post a new version yet.

I finally have a place to upload my files to and I just uploaded my mod. It is an early version, (I am calling it version .1) and the download is 45 megs zipped and unzipped about 65-70 megs or something like that. It has all the changes seen in my earlier posts and maybe a few more I forgot about. I've did a little testing and I know it should run with no problems, at least early in the game. So tell me what you think and if you find any problems.

http://www.cdgroup.org/upload/tbs/civ3/ic3/Improved_Civ_3_Mod.zip

Here are some more changes I have made that will be on the version .2 patch whenever I decide to post it.

Version 0.2 - Not Available Yet

-Added a defense and cost point to Medieval Infantry
-Added a defense and cost point to Samurai
-Changed the T-34 and based it off of the T-34/76, now it has an attack of 16 and ignores movement costs for tundra and desert
-Changed the attack of the Pershing to 18 instead of 20
-Changed cost of Pershing to 12
-Changed cost of Tiger II to 12
-Changed Fighter unit name to Spitfire
-Changed Jet Fighter operational range to 8 and bombard strength to 8
-Changed F-15 operational range to 8 and bombard strenth to 9
-Changed Bomber bombard strength to 10
-Changed Stealth Fighter bombard strength to 8
-Changed Stealth Bomber bombard strength to 12
-Added the P-51 Mustang unit for the Americans and English which has a bombard strenth of 4, cost of 9, attack of 4, defense of 2, and operational range of 6
-Changed Spitfire cost to 7
-Added the P-38 Lightning unit for the Americans which has a cost of 9, attack of 4, defense of 2, bombard strength of 5 and operational range of 5
-Added the Japanese Zero fighter which has a cost of 8, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 7, and bombard strength of 1
-Added the German FW190 fighter which has a cost of 7, attack of 5, defense of 2, operational range of 4, and bombard strength of 1
-Added the American F4F Wildcat which has a cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 3, operational range of 4, and bombard strength of 1
-Added the Bristol Beaufighter for the English which has a cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 6, and bombard strength of 1

***Questions I Have***
---Should I make all fighters be able to land on carriers or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which ones?
---Should I make all fighters and bombers have lethal land and sea bombardment, or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which ones?
---I want to add the Sturmovick unit that comes with PTW, but I can't find any information on it, does anyone have any good information about it?
---Do the new unit stats listed here seem to work alright or do you think I should change things?

I have released version 0.2 of the mod and all the changes and the link to download it are available on the first post of this thread

I have released version 0.2 of the mod and all the changes and the link to download it are available on the first post of this thread

What version of Civ3 does this mod work with? I only have the orininal Civ3 (1.29f patch). If I download; will it work for me.

It sounds like a great modification. I would really like to try it.

Top Bottom