Ffh II

spekkio

Chieftain
Alright, Kael is going to put out a zipped version of his Fall From Heaven II (beta) mod. However, there is a problem: it uses .dll files quite heavily. So in the event that it will absolutely not work, I'm going to make an attempt to get it up and running; is there anyone else who is perhaps more experienced than me who could attempt this too?

If it uses a CvGameCore.dll file then you don't stand a cat in hells chance.

it might be possible to use the last version that didnt use a dll thou.. like version 0.99 or something

Well, there's also another possibility - my Dad and one of his teachers (he's a principal) were talking about boot camp and the like, and evidently there's a new way to run Windows programs in OSX. Someone came up with a way to open up files/programs without having to emulate windows or use boot camp; the only problem is that you can't use drivers. Anyway, when they buy it for their school, I may end up testing it out. That might be able to have an effect too; you never know until you try. =D

It's called Parallels Workstation for Mac. Yes it lets you run Windows on a Mac with an Intel CPU. But no, you can't run Civ4 with it. Civ4 needs those drivers you mention in order to talk to the video system efficiently.

well, the question is, would you be able to use the .dll files with it? the one i'm talking about you don't have to emulate windows at all; it's nothing like that. you are just able to run programs that do not utilize drivers from native osx - no emulation required.

Let's try again.

Civ4 for Mac will not talk to a windows .dll. It doesn't know how to, and no other utility can make it do so. So if you are going to run a mod that has a .dll file you *must* run Civ4 for Windows.

You can run Civ4 for Windows on Mac hardware with Boot Camp. That's the only configuration I am aware of that can run mods using .dll files on Mac hardware.

ahh, okay. thanks; that was what i was having trouble getting there. hmm, i'm still gonna try to make a workaround.

Top Bottom