To those with d3dx9_32.dll problems

ok, i have this problem and i'm slowing reading this thread, trying to fix it,lol. After i download these DLL files,do i have to re-install the whole game? or just add the patches?
you should not need to reinstall, in fact it is advisable to not only download the .dll files but rather install the whole DirectX 9c into your windows system (for XP this will not cause any issues and the newest (i.e. November 07) release of DirectX 9c should also be compatible with Vista.

ok, i got the update to work fine, but BTS won't install....it gets up to the point where it says it is updating as it sees nessacary...then it quits aprubtly with no window or anything, just dies......any tips?

yep (10 chars)

yes, vista, and i am the admin (the only user of the computer, a laptop) Thanks for trying to help at least....any ideas?

the problem with this abrupt crash of the installer is weird.
I suspect that it tries to patch Vanilla and/or Warlords to 1.74/2.13 and fails to either access the necessary files or fails to find them at all. The problem is pinpointing it without any error message. So apart from trying a clean uninstall of everything civ4 related and reinstalling in one go I fear I am unable to suggest anything :(

ok, this is very odd....i try to install again (you never know) and it comes up that i have it running already! i don't..any ideas what is going on?

it probably started to install by writing itself into the windows registry and aborted then. leaving you with a system that thinks it has bts installed but does not.
Are you familiar with registry editing? If not: Windows has a system recovery routine (I do not know what it is called in vista - you'd have to look for it in the system utilities). You should set a recovery point and only then edit the registry removing any entry with beyond the sword in its name. Maybe the installer even already left an uninstall entry in the windows software manager, try using that.

ok, i got the update to work fine, but BTS won't install....it gets up to the point where it says it is updating as it sees nessacary...then it quits aprubtly with no window or anything, just dies......any tips?

Is this updating the directX? If so, I've got the same problem in XP.

no, the update went fine....i could play civ4 updated, but BTS was expensive......

Long time no post but I have an addition to make to all the great advice posted here before.

I too have been tearing my hair out in frustration at this dx9_d32 error. I tried the official Microsoft fix but my computer didn't pass their test (will take that up with the place I bought it from later:mad: ), i tried the link Gythaar posted, that didn't work either.

Next I downloaded the two dll files and extracted them into my Civilization4 root folder. I then tried to launch my game from the desktop shortcut and from the icon in the Civ4 folder. Interestingly I got different errors with both methods, the desktop shortcut (warlords) gave me the dx9_d32.dll error again, but trying to launch vanilla Civ4 from its icon got me one stage further. I got a "please insert correct disc" error since my warlords disc was in the drive.

I then tried to launch the Warlords from it's icon in the Warlords folder and got the dll error again.

All I did to fix it was to copy and paste the two downloaded dll files from Civ4 root to Civ4/Warlords and hey presto my game works:goodjob:

Thanks to all who posted fixes, it seems mine was a teeny bit more involved but I got it to work:D

Try searching for d3dx9_ on your hard drive you should get a list of dll-files.
Take the one with the highest number in it like d3dx9_31.dll and make a copy of it in the same directory it is in. Then rename it to d3dx9_32.dll.
Then try to run the game. You use an older version of directx but i don't think that is a problem.
Let us know if it works

I'm trying to do this with Windows Vista -- I've found d3dx10 -- but I can't seem to find out what folder it's in from the search utility. It just gives a list of files and I can't seem to find what folder they're in.

I'm trying to do this with Windows Vista -- I've found d3dx10 -- but I can't seem to find out what folder it's in from the search utility. It just gives a list of files and I can't seem to find what folder they're in.
<ou need to install DirectX 9c from here - Vista only comes with DirectX 10 which does not included the code needed to run 9c games like Civ4

Why does this problem exist?
the above: because Microsoft tries to force companies to code for Vista and users to buy it. At the moment a lot of games have trouble working on Vista, once producers code for 10 this will be much better but XP users will not be able to play since Microsoft has no plans to release DirectX 10 for XP...
The other problem is that the patch requires the newest DirectX 9c release and while Microsoft Update updates most everything it does not do so for DirectX - the newest DirectX came with Beyond the Sword but when these patches (1.74 and 2.13) where released for Vanilla and Warlords as well Firaxis/Take2 forgot to include this release within their patches...

Excellent convinience making this a sticky. I've been away from Civ4 and the community here for awhile, so when I decided to play again I had to download the patch and received that message. So, of course, I come here and BOOM! solution right in front of me imediately. Thanks.

i can't download it from microsoft becase my windows is not valid...is there other way?

sorry this site has a strict anti-piracy rule so I am not allowed to discuss any other possibilities even if I wanted.

Top Bottom