SANCTA diplomacy

As they are gifting the Sailing to us I think we should give Archery for them. This would make it more like a trade.

I'm pretty certain other teams can easily figure out where the gifted techs are coming assuming Kazs and Cavs are doing close co-operation and MS isn't that far from them either.

I guess so - although we could have researched it ourselves. It isn't going to make much difference either way though. Sooner or later the other teams will figure it out.

New message from SANCTA:

Namaste Saturn,

Sorry to be brief (0800 here and I'm not a morning person) and for sending another email after the previous on, and before you can reply, but we needed to get this out before you played the save.

If you guys are happy with us researching currency next, can you please send alphabet to us this turn so we can start research asap? We'd be looking at an eta of t98 for finishing research.

Krill, Daimyo of Interior, SANCTA
Money, get away,
money, caviar, four star
Money, it's a hit...

Gifting alpha is ok to me. I suspect then that gifting Archery isn't nescessary in this case. This way we could keep some kind of illusion that techs can also be researched and not nescessarily gifted.

Revised message slightly, and sent to SANCTA.

Received Sailing from them, sent Alphabet.

From SANCTA:

Recieved and posted.

Surficed to say we agree with all of your points.

We look forward to working with you as well :)

SANCTA

Communication
friendship and hope regardless
bright new dawn beckons

I must say I am pleased with this alliance and with the straightforward and open manner of Sancta's communications.:)

Here's to our good fortune and skill.

From SANCTA:

Namaste Saturn,

We would like to thank you for the swift delivery of alphabet/, research into currency has been started, should be finished by end of turn 98 at latest.

On a slightly tangential matter, we will have a spare ivory hooked up by the end of turn 94, which we can gift to you if you are in need of happy resource. We feel that sharing resource between ourselves is a natural progression from free tech trading; we have several spare resources that we could trade with you, but unfortunately ivory are the only happy resource we can share until we get calendar.

Our minister of diplomacy is currently on holiday, so when he returns sometime in the next 24 hours he can discuss our alliance in more detail with you in chat if you would like, or we could continue to drafting a treaty.

Krill, Daimyo of Interior, SANCTA

Gifts from a far shore
shapes of a distant nation
with cordiality

Sounds good - happiness would be extremely helpful for us. I wonder if we have any resources that they could use...

In the near future silver and later silk.

However if they've spare health resources they definately would intrest us right away.

Silver will be the main resource that we can trade with them in the near future.

We graciously accept your gift of ivory to us, which dramatically helps our happiness situation. The only happiness resource in which we will have a surplus of in the near future is silver, near the city of Iapetus. One of our workers is heading over to that city to mine the silver, and we will immediately send you our extra silver once both are hooked up, as a sign of our alliance.

Trade routes are not yet open with SANCTA... I think they may have to explore their way to our capital first.

But yes, any health and happiness would be great. :)

By the way, it's not a gift, it's a potential offer for the future. Just in case that wasn't clear. ;)

I'm not sure how the trade routes work. We might need a visible sea route to their capital?

No, I think it's just one of us that needs a sea route to the other. In fact, I'm sure of it, because we've got trade routes with everyone else, and yet can't see any sea routes to them. ;)

From SANCTA:

Namaste Lord Parkin.
The Ninja’s salute the Mighty Saturn Empire!

We’re thrilled to be on the cusp of greatness with your people and believe that together we are going to achieve mighty things.

Sorry I was out of the loop when we made first contact. Daimyo Krill has brought me fully up to speed, and I’ll be your primary contact from now on. Looks like things are already going really well – so hopefully I can do as good of a job as Krill! :)

We agree whole-heartedly with your suggestions on an alliance, and have taken the liberty of codifying them into a formal document (attached).
We’re also including the text here to make it easier for you to edit if you’d like to suggest any changes, additions, or improvements – please do! This isn’t necessarily intended as a final draft, so please don’t hesitate to edit if you want.

Spoiler :
The PASS​
Permanent Alliance of Saturn-SANCTA
Draft

An agreement between Saturn (Persia) and SANCTA (the Netherlands).
Whereby it is recognized that the thee-way alliance of foreign powers is poised to run away with this game if they are not stopped.

Whereby it is recognized that it is in our mutual self interest to fully cooperate until we are the only two remaining powers in the game.

Article 1: Non-Aggression
It is hereby agreed that we will not attack each other or provide aid, in any form, to anyone fighting any member of the alliance.​

Article 2: Exclusivity
It is hereby agreed that we will not trade or gift technology, offer financial aid or information about alliance plans, or provide military support in any form to non-members of the Alliance. Exceptions to this can be made only by express mutual agreement. (Saturn’s current Math for Feudalism deal is also exempted)
It is furthermore agreed that we will offer each other first choice on any resource trades. Only if the other member of the alliance is uninterested, will we then seek to trade outside of the alliance.

Article 3: Defense
It is hereby agreed that if either member of the alliance comes under direct military attack by an enemy power and the other alliance member is NOT under direct (or imminently direct) attack - the Alliance member who is not under attack will provide significant material and/or financial aid as quickly as they are able.

This defense provision does NOT apply to offensive wars started by a member of the Alliance for purposes of conquest. (Pre-emptive attacks against an invading force are allowed and still count as defense).

Article 4: Technology Cooperation
It is hereby agreed that we will cooperate on technology in a generous fashion with eachother.
It is hereby agreed that we will pursue rapid technological advance in good faith – and not attempt to abuse the alliance.
(ie - No member of the Alliance shall stockpile gold at a rate greater than is reasonably necessary for general strategic concerns.)
It is hereby agreed that we will openly and forthrightly share research plans to avoid any duplication of effort and ensure rapid progress.
It is hereby agreed that all technology shall be shared openly, upon request, without regard to beaker value, with eachother.​

Article 5: Sharing of Infomation
It is agreed that information gained from rival teams, eg from chats, emails, and demographics, shall be shared freely between Saturn and SANCTA, and this sharing shall be kept confidential from rival teams.
(ie - if a rival team comments on their technological aims, this infomation will be shared with both Saturn and SANCTA)

Article 6: End of the Alliance
This alliance will end when Saturn and SANCTA are the only two remaining teams in the game, or upon express mutual agreement to terminate the alliance.
It is hereby agreed that the non-aggression (article 1) part of this alliance will remain in-force for a minimum of 10 turns after the last foreign power is eliminated from the game (either by destruction or capitulation).​

It’s big! And there’s a lot in there – but we tried to avoid anything that sounded too “lawyerly” – any deal is only as good as the good-faith of the people that sign it… so we were just trying to get the main ideas down on paper – so that there’s no confusion about what the expectations of the alliance are.

We fully expect to have unforeseen circumstances arise where we’ll need to be generous with you beyond what the treaty mandates, and we’re eager to show our good will in those situations. We trust you feel the same – but no matter what, at least a formal alliance treaty will give us a baseline to work from.

Finally – though it’s not expressly addressed in the formal treaty, we want to be clear that we are open to the idea of including the Mad Scientists at some point in our alliance. Whether that’s as junior partners, full members, or just “most-favored nation trading status” or something – we’ll have to see. Again – we think it’s best to solidify our relationship first… then we can examine what will work best for the Alliance regarding the other teams. Hopefully you agree with all that?

Looking forward to getting your comments / revisions / or signature!

To a glorious future :cheers:

General_W, Daimyo of State
Glorious sunrise
Victory the horizon
Breaking dawn ally
They even went to the trouble to make an official-looking attachment to accompany it. Someone had too much time on their hands... ;)

(Anyone want to make up a "seal" for Saturn, by the way? :) )

Attachments

• PASS Treaty.jpg
    PASS Treaty.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 85
We could just use a picture of the planet for a seal, if we were feeling lazy. ;)

Attachments

• saturn.jpg
    saturn.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom