IO6 - Civilization V!!

From the game I just played as Japan, we should strongly consider raising the difficulty level. I'm sure al-Rashid would have agreed as my modern infantry tore through his crossbowmen and descended upon Mecca for an easy domination win.

Now I'd love to agree with you, but I already started up the save... and I still don't know how to take screenshots.

Print screen will put them in a screen shot folder in My doc where the saves are found. They are TGA files and can be view with at least Irafanview.

Print screen will put them in a screen shot folder in My doc where the saves are found. They are TGA files and can be view with at least Irafanview.

Oh, so they're TGA files. That would explain why Photobucket couldn't find them I guess.

I'll lurk. What is this ... post 20 and no screenshots!

Lurking as well...

Had only time to play 50 turns yesterday, what a pity :mad:

Good news. Amazon says my copy shipped and is due to arrive on the 25th.

In Civ4's ini, you could set the default screenshot format between bitmap, jpeg, and TGA. Is there an ini in civ 5?

There's 3 ini files, but I couldn't find what you were talking about in either of them.

Anyway, without further ado...

THE SCREENSHOTS!

Our brave and wise leader:

And our start:

As you can see, we start with four resources near the capital. That's good...

We have two food resources (wheat and cow), and two luxury resources (gold and silver). I have a feeling that we'll want a Mint here eventually.

So... Settle in place, worker first? What should we pick as a social policy?

Ooohh! So pretty. The settler's place looks pretty good, but I haven't yet learned what the BFC equivalent in hex is.

Same with social policies. I don't even know what the choices are yet. I'd say pick whichever Sid says to, if Sid still gives you hints. If he doesn't, pick whichever fits with Nobunaga best.

From a lurker:

I would move the warrior two nw on top of the gold hill and take a look before settling. My tendency would be to move 1 nw and settle, as the terrain seems better that way and it doesn't move any of what you can see out of range, but it depends on what the warrior sees.

Ooohh! So pretty. The settler's place looks pretty good, but I haven't yet learned what the BFC equivalent in hex is.

Same with social policies. I don't even know what the choices are yet. I'd say pick whichever Sid says to, if Sid still gives you hints. If he doesn't, pick whichever fits with Nobunaga best.

It's big.

Not your screenie obviously, just for illustration. IMO it's going to be SIP all the time in V 'cause you're not going to wait and explore for multiple turns to discover what may be just outside your reach. Your first shot shows that not even all your 2nd ring tiles are revealed. It'd be way too many warrior moves to check out more. Maybe in some cases rivers and oceans will prompt moves, but it's going to happen even less often than in IV IMO.

The BFC equivalent is extremely simple. Three hexes in every direction. If you look on the right side of the screenshot, the plains, grassland, mountain diagonal demarcate the outer ring of the BFH.

From a lurker: I think you have a beautiful spot, but the 1NW spot is worth considering. Definitely move your warrior to take a looksee. Your start is hammer-rich, which is both good and bad, and being on a riverside is awesome. That capital site will be a monster once you have a Hydro Plant.

SOCIAL POLICIES 101 - IN THE BEGINNING

Now, there are ten social policies in the game. These include:

Ancient Age - Tradition, Liberty, Honor
Classical Age - Piety
Medieval Age- Patronage, Commerce
Renaissance Age - Rationalism, Freedom
Industrial Age - Autocracy, Order

However, I'm going to focus on the first three for now.

TRADITION
Adopting Tradition immediately provides a +1 food bonus in the capital.
Tradition, like all social policies, includes five additional upgrades:
Aristocracy - +33% production when building Wonders
Oligarchy - +33% combat strength for military units fighting within the empire’s borders
Legalism - -33% unhappiness from population in the Capital
Landed Elite – Growth rate in the capital increased by +33%. (Requires Aristocracy and Oligarchy)
Monarchy – Gold cost of buying land reduced by 50%. (Requires Oligarchy)

Now, as you can see, Tradition tends to benefit the capital. As it happens, Tradition is the path you want to follow if you want to keep your empire small. I found it especially useful in my 3-city cultural victory with Gandhi.

LIBERTY
Adopting Liberty immediately increases Settler construction by +50%.
Liberty’s upgrades:
Collective Rule – Newly founded cities start with half the food necessary to grow to size 2.
Citizenship – Worker construction rate increased by 25%.
Republic - +1 production in every city. (Requires Collective Rule)
Representation - +1 culture in every city. (Requires Citizenship)
Meritocracy - +1 happiness for each city connected to the capital. (Requires Citizenship)

As is almost obvious, Liberty is the path you want to take if you want to expand. Considering the first bonus, it’s especially useful for peaceful expansion. However, I’d find Representation useful in any situation.

HONOR
Adopting Honor gives your men +25% strength against Barbarians, and you will be notified if a barbarian encampment spawns in territory you’ve already revealed.
Honor’s Upgrades:
Warrior Code – A great general appears outside the capital.
Discipline - +15% strength for military units that have another unit in an adjacent tile.
Military Tradition – Military units gain double experience from combat. (Requires Warrior Code)
Military Caste – Each city with a garrison reduces empire unhappiness by 1. (Requires Discipline)
Professional Army – Gold cost of upgrading units reduced by 50%. (Requires Military Caste)

As you can see, this policy is all about the army. Actually, I find the initial upgrade useful in any case, but this is the policy for you if you like war. With Honor, you’ll be liking war even more.

Did that answer your question?

ALSO

Here's the result of moving the Warrior onto the gold hill!

That's deer in the north. If we moved 1 NW, we'd get it in the BHFH, but not in the BFH. I'm not sure if 3 tiles out is worth it. However, you decide.

EDIT: Note that I call the two-hex radius the BFH (Big Fat Hexagon), but I call the three-hex radius the BHFH (Big Huge Fat Hexagon). It's good to differentiate between two and three.

I would still move 1 nw to settle. It puts you 3 away from the northern coast which is perfect (I think that's coast up there, if not more tundra which you don't want). It puts a couple of riverside grasslands closer to your capital, and if your site has a weakness, it is that it could be food poor. So those grassland tiles could become important. And that deer is there, just in case.

It also moves a couple of useless mountains to your east out of the 3 hex radius. I know there is much more to be discovered, but you gotta go with what you can see.

I like Tradition for our first social policy; Oligarchy is really good and Himeji Castle later on makes it even better. Same with Aristocracy for getting early wonders.

Go 1 NW and get those Deer in the beehive. At least we'll lose those two mountains.

You can always just buy the deer for a hundred g or so down the road if you move 1NW, your workers will have plenty to do for a long while yet. You can see 5/7 of the tiles you lose by moving 1NW and two are mountain and the others are plains, so you probably are getting better territory, certainly better stuff in your first and second ring. It's possible there's a resource in one of those three hidden third-ring hexes, but you pick up a third-ring deer by moving, so it's a wash. I say go for it.

SOCIAL POLICIES 101 - IN THE BEGINNING
LIBERTY
Adopting Liberty immediately increases Settler construction by +50%.

That sounds like a penalty to me - should that be decreases construction? Or maybe increases production? Or am I just reading this wrong?

Top Bottom