Modding Civ I - No pollution

darkpanda

Dark Prince
Some late night byte roaming, and here is an eco-friendly patch to disable pollution:

Code:
original bytes: 83 C4 04 A8 40 [color=red]75[/color] 24 FF 76 08 FF 76 06 B8 40 00
 patched bytes: 83 C4 04 A8 40 [color=blue][b]EB[/b][/color] 24 FF 76 08 FF 76 06 B8 40 00

offsets:
    EN 474.01: 0x13BD4
    EN 474.03: 0x13636
    EN 474.04: 0x1363C
    EN 474.05: 0x13E50
    EN 475.01: 0x13BD4
    FR 474.05: 0x144C7

Note that all it does is trick CIV into thinking that, at the time of adding pollution to a square, the square already contains pollution... So CIV skips it and does not increase the polluted square counter.

So you will still get the chimneys in cities, and messages like "Pollution near XYZ", but no pollution will be spawned at all, so no effect.

Enjoy!

I was just about to ask if it was possible to get rid of pollution... guess you beat me to it! :D

Might I restate my previous opinion that the mass transit should provide railroad to the city square?
Mass transit shows in its picture a railroad, so it would be logical to use it for railroad for the city.

Hi,

in which file can I make this mod?

I checked the sve-file and the map-file but I couldn't find anything like you have written.

Best regards and thank you,

Topolino

But if the chimneys are still there, don't they still add unhappy people ? :confused:

So mass transit and recycling centers are still needed I guess, because they remove chimneys, which in turn decreases the number of unhappy people. :think:

There is probably a way to get rid of the chimneys, but it would also probably be easier to disable the effect of chimneys on unhappy citizens.

Besides, nearly all buildings and wonders have a passive effect, meaning that the effect is not executed when the building or Wonder is built, but rather the existence of the building in a city, or a Wonder, is checked within city/unit processing rules to apply their effect... My point is that it is theoretically possible to "add" new effects to buildings, without removing their old effect, it's a matter of changing the game rules.

That said, I'll try to look into Mass Transit bringing railroad to a city, I need to check where the railroad effect is dealt with, for a central city square...

I'm so glad that you got rid of the pollution... I've run into the problem of future techs giving pollution even though most of my cities have recycling centers and mass transits.

Unfortunately I saved over my before save.. But here's my current save.

Attachments

• CIVIL0.MAP
    15.8 KB · Views: 73
  • CIVIL0.SVE
    37 KB · Views: 51
While you are investigating you might look into two cities, vladivostok and hamburg. Some weird stuff is going on there... Vladivostok has three of the black unhappy faces and hamburg can't see the whole map for some reason..

Top Bottom