win 8.1 + CIV 5

mclericp

Warlord
Hello
i upgraded to win 8.1 from win 8 today and did a fresh reinstall of civ 5 bnw. However it is totally unplayable. For example, i cant move my units. Normally i left click my units, and then right click on the map for them to move. However now i cant!

EDIT: i fixed it by running civ 5 on DX11 instead of windows 8. Windows 8 is crap.

Yep having a Windows 8 computer the Windows 8 feature is purely for touch-screens; without one you can't play it on that setting.

I've been running win8 since beta and currently running 8.1 on my homebuilt desktop, I like it better than all the previous versions of windows (I started building computers with win3.x).
It runs just about flawlessly and very fast and stable.

But yes, the win8 option is for the touchscreen version

The full name of the mode is 'Windows 8 - Touch Enabled', not simply 'Windows 8'.

It's not particularly fair to say that Windows 8 is 'crap' when the problem is simply that the incorrect mode was chosen when launching the game. Touch Mode is fine on a tablet device.

Hello
i upgraded to win 8.1 from win 8 today and did a fresh reinstall of civ 5 bnw. However it is totally unplayable. For example, i cant move my units. Normally i left click my units, and then right click on the map for them to move. However now i cant!

EDIT: i fixed it by running civ 5 on DX11 instead of windows 8. Windows 8 is crap.

Does there seem to be any difference in how the game itself operates (other than mouse input)? While I agree that the third option is basically for touch screens, I am curious if there are any other advantages using the Win8 option. Did you even try to go into the game option under interface and change any of the mouse abilities?

When playing on tablet, is it possible to install onto a flash memory like a micro SD card, or would the game run too slow? The install size takes up too much disc space for the internal storage.

I have steam and Civ5 on a thumb drive and the game works just fine.

So are we saying a new non-touch screen windows 8.1 laptop should play civ 5 via the DX 11 option rather than the windows 8 touch enabled option?

Do not select the 8.1 touch option on a non-touch computer. You will get odd behavior. Use the DX 10/11 option.

Top Bottom