Steam Unable To Sync Files...

rover6695

Prince
I've been playing CIV BNW regularly on two PCs.
One is a laptop, Windows 7.

The other is a desktop, Windows 8.

Been using both PCs back and fourth with few issues until the weekend.
On my desktop, when I click to start CIV5, I get this prompt shown on the picture:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• CIV5.jpg
    CIV5.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 572
The most likely cause would be that the game did not log off properly on the other computer, or was closed before the cloud saves were in sync. Or steam may have been too busy or hiccupped at the wrong time.

The most likely cause would be that the game did not log off properly on the other computer, or was closed before the cloud saves were in sync. Or steam may have been too busy or hiccupped at the wrong time.

What do I do to fix this issue, as it continues to happen.

I play on my laptop Windows 7, then try to go on my desktop Windows 8 and I get the same message I have attached in the picture.

This has gone on for days. What do I do?

Before you even play any games in steam, you should log onto steam one computer at a time and let it finish any updates. Steam did two updates within a week recently. You should only do one computer at a time. If that does not work then:

Save the game on one computer locally (not on the cloud). Delete all files in the cloud, reboot both computers. Then one at a time connect to steam, and see if it will allow you to save the current turn in the cloud on the computer you saved the most recent turn.

So...

-Log out of Steam in both PCs
-Re boot both PCs
-Let it update
-Open CIV
-Save games locally
-Delete cloud files
-Log out

-Do the same for the other PC

Then try again?

Yes.

It would be interesting to see, if when you log into steam the second time on the other computer to see if the cloud saves are even there. They should not be. However if you are unable to delete any cloud saves on the first go around, then you may have to delete them on the second computer.

I think that you can only have ten saves in the cloud at once. It would seem that the files should be properly over written. If this solves it, it may just be because there was a cloud save that was done before the update and may have been corrupted by a different steam version trying to sync the file.

Technically steam does not allow one to have two log-ins under the same account at the same time. It may be possible, but could cause issues.

I.

1) Logged out of STEAM from both the W7 and W8 PC
2) Re-booted both W7 and W8 PCs
3) Went to W8 PC
A. Clicked on STEAM>>>Logged in
-As I did I got a pop-up screen attached below
B. Went to top left corner:
Steam>>>Check for STEAM Client updates (TOLD ME Already up to date)
C. Clicked to play CIV5 and got the same "STEAM unable to sync files" message as I attached in the beginning post.
D. I attempted to close STEAM, but when I did I got prompted a new pop-up message (see second attachment) that Steam was finishing a sync. I decided to let it finish and wait, which as of now has been 30 minutes!

I am holding off on anything else, have not touched the W7 PC since I re-booted, do you have suggestions on how to proceede?

II.
1) Also I noticed on the STEAM drop down menu on the top left corner, two options:
-VIDEO Driver Update?
-Backup and Restore games?

Would any of those possibly help?

2) Last, how do I delete a file from STEAM Cloud?
How to delete from cloud?

Right click on the game to get to properties. In the second tab, there is a check box for cloud files. Uncheck it. As far as I can find, the only way to delete them is from within the game itself.

If the desktop has a direct network cable, try logging on with that one first. If it is successful, then maybe your laptop is having connectivity issues.

Right click on the game to get to properties. In the second tab, there is a check box for cloud files. Uncheck it. As far as I can find, the only way to delete them is from within the game itself.

If the desktop has a direct network cable, try logging on with that one first. If it is successful, then maybe your laptop is having connectivity issues.

Right click on what? The CIV5 desktop icon or the Steam desktop icon?

This is sooo frustrating...I am getting nowhere.

After not being able to finish the "right click properties" instructions I thought I would start over. Here is what I did:

1) Logged out of STEAM from both the W7 and W8 PC
2) Re-booted both W7 and W8 PCs
3) Went to W7 PC
A. Clicked on STEAM>>>Logged in
B. Clicked Top Left>>>Update Steam Client....it said Steam already up to date
4) Open CIV 5
A. Saved the game "Dutch" locally.
-Deleted all other local games
B. Went to STEAM CLOUD....tried to delete games but could not. I saw no icon/button/or way to delete.
5) Logged out of STEAM

so....

5) Logged into steam on W8 desktop
-Again, everything was up to date

6) Tried to run CIV5
-I got the same "Can't sync" display
-I loaded anyway, and sure enough could not find my last updated file.

What can/should I do?
A few other things:

1) Also I noticed on the STEAM drop down menu on the top left corner, two options:
-VIDEO Driver Update?
-Backup and Restore games?

Would any of those possibly help?

2) How do I delete a file from STEAM Cloud?
How to delete from cloud?

3) I thought maybe I could save a game on a portable USB drive and transfer it from one PC to the next.
So after saving locally on the W7, I tried but found no way possible to transfer the game either to the USB or W8 PC.

Little help? Thanks!

There are cloud saves that sync with steam in this path: Steam > steam > userdata > 70485312 > 8930 > remote. There was only one folder in my userdata, and the number may be different for you. If the second number is different then look in the folder that has remote. I am not sure what happens if you copy these files somewhere else and try to add them back in. The limit should be 10. If there are more than that, maybe remove the extra ones. Otherwise try deleting them or removing them from this folder and see if that helps the win8 sync issue.

I thought that there used to be a way once in the game to delete the files, but that seems to no longer be an option.

When you save a game it is saved in My Documents > My Games > (name of the game) > Saves > (whatever folder you play - more than likely single). You should be able to copy those files from windows and back into the corresponding folder on either computer via thumb drive. If you know how to sync files by sharing them on the local network, then that might work, but beyond my skill knowledge. Having both win7 and win8 may be a bigger headache syncing files than steam cloud.

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but steam just put out an update that fixes "deleted" files in the steam cloud. Perhaps the update may resolve some issues with cloud saves.

Top Bottom