giant earth map + bug...

Vorret

Chieftain
hopefully this is the right place for my question

I'm a bit clueless on how mod work but... I love to play the giant earth map but omg do I miss bug mod when I play it... is there an easy way to... merge both ? If there's a tutorial on how to merge mod just point me to it or something... thanks :)

hopefully this is the right place for my question

I'm a bit clueless on how mod work but... I love to play the giant earth map but omg do I miss bug mod when I play it... is there an easy way to... merge both ? If there's a tutorial on how to merge mod just point me to it or something... thanks :)

It might be worth asking Ace of Spades. I believe he plays with them merged.

I used to have GEM working with BAT, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it. I reinstalled Civ4, BTS, + patches, then BAT (which includes BUG) but for whatever reason my old saved games aren't working with BAT. It's just the standard GEM. Not sure what I did wrong this time around.

Perhaps someone can answer this question: If I simply copy my old MyGames folder replacing the old, would that bring back the original setup I had before I reinstalled the OS?

IIRC, just install BUG in your CustomAssets. Then, you can simply load the GEM mod and have both at the same time. Maybe though, if you get some errors, you have to adjust a few files from the GEM folder or make sure you use the correct Event Manager. I'm currently not at home, so I cannot check.

Anyway, it should not really be hard to to, probably takes 15 minutes in the worst case to make the adjustments.

Best Regards,
Martin

IIRC, just install BUG in your CustomAssets. Then, you can simply load the GEM mod and have both at the same time. Maybe though, if you get some errors, you have to adjust a few files from the GEM folder or make sure you use the correct Event Manager. I'm currently not at home, so I cannot check.

Anyway, it should not really be hard to to, probably takes 15 minutes in the worst case to make the adjustments.

Best Regards,
Martin

thanks worked fine!

I think the following information would be useful to keep in this thread:

BUG will cause a conflict with GEM. It is because GEM uses Better AI and the two have some conflicts in python. In fact, I have just installed BUG myself recently and found out this page to merge the two:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=296534

I followed exactly the method of "If you installed BUG 3.5 to CustomAssets and want to install Better AI as a standalone Mod:" and I got BUG to work with GEM!

Was just going to say the above didn't work, as I was having graphics problems. Computer slow, so I restarted, and when I went back into Civ to take a screenshot, all the graphics showed up just fine, and confirmed that AI and all that is up and running! Good deal!

By the way, Kai, are you just in Hong Kong, or from Hong Kong? I have a few friends there, and my server company has servers in a datacenter there. Haven't been there myself yet though. Maybe this summer.

I was from HK and am living in HK now, but I've spent a large portion of my life living in Australia and I am now back to where I was from. Isn't life wonderful? :)

Yes and no. My original post was hasty, and completely wrong. Still having issues. Need to analyze first though. Backtrack my installation a bit.

Got a German friend named Andre out there now. He was here in Shanghai for a few years, but relocated there for his company. From what I hear, he's tearing up the bar scene in HK!

Just a quick question for you. When you merged the two, did you also have the better AI in the mods as well, or did you use the ones in GEM? Referring to this part of the instructions:
# Copy the two Python files AIAutoPlay.py and ChangePlayer.py from Better AI to CustomAssets/Python/Contrib/.
# Now move the entire Python folder from <Better AI Mod folder>/Assets/ to a backup location where it will not be accessed. A good choice is the root of Better AI Mod folder.

Also, are you using Bug 3.6 or 3.5.1? Either bug won't load for me.

I think I got it this time. Here's what I did:
These Instructions (Courtesy of Dresden):

Spoiler :
Note: <Better AI Mod folder> refers to wherever Better AI is to be installed.

1. Install the Better AI Mod as you normally would.
2. Copy the two Python files AIAutoPlay.py and ChangePlayer.py from Better AI to CustomAssets/Python/Contrib/.
3. Now move the entire Python folder from <Better AI Mod folder>/Assets/ to a backup location where it will not be accessed. A good choice is the root of Better AI Mod folder.
4. Create a new text file called BetterAI.xml in CustomAssets/Config/. This text file should contain the following:
Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<mod id="BetterAI"
name="BetterAI"
url="http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245">

<events module="AIAutoPlay" />
<events module="ChangePlayer" />
</mod>

5. Backup the current CustomAssets/Config/init.xml file to someplace safe.
6. Now open the CustomAssets/Config/init.xml file with a text editor such as notepad and add the following line at the end of the Mods Section:
Code:

<load mod="BetterAI"/>

That part of the file should now something look like this, with the added line highlighted in blue.
Code:

<load mod="Unit Naming"/>
<load mod="FavoriteCivicDetector"/>
<load mod="BetterAI"/>

<!-- Options Screens -->

7. You're done. Better AI has now been merged with your BUG Mod.

If you launch a Better AI game, you should have a fully functional BUG Mod too. If you launch a normal game, the Better AI Python is still present but won't cause any problems; just don't bring up the AutoPlay or ChangePlayer popups because they probably aren't going to work.

The files all have to do with GEM, so there's no need whatsoever to use the original BetterAI. I didn't even have it for this particular install.

python/Development/ChangePlayer.py
python/Optional/AIAutoPlay.py... THESE TWO go into CustomAssets/Python/Contrib/

Then yes, move the GEM Python folder out of the Giant Earth Map Mod. Then it'll load up fine.

The part that screwed me up was that I had assumed GEM still needed its python folder where it was. And that caused graphics errors & wouldn't let GEM work.

Kai, can you verify this? I'm going to actually PLAY GEM now, rather than mess with its code for awhile. If I hit a snag, I'll post it here again. :cowboy:

Top Bottom