ryanjames' mods-Civilisations, small and large

Ah man :( Why would you throw away such an awesome Gaelic name like Godred Crovan?

Kek, I think either name is fine - he went by many names in his tenure as the King of various polities - but Orry fits best given that the Civ is Manx focussed.

I didn't realise that he was also King of Dublin for a while as well, seems to have been a very interesting leader.

So, regarding the Keeil, does a bonus to religious pressure sound good, when the Keeil is worked? And what kind of building restrictions should it have? Just 'Not buildable adjacent to other Keeils'? I can't really think of any others that would make sense.

Coast only? To encourage the players settle coastal cities more than, say, cities near mountains.

Coast only? To encourage the players settle coastal cities more than, say, cities near mountains.

Eh, I'm not sure, seems kindof weird to be honest, they were all over the island. Plus the Isle of Man does have a mountain :D

Is there anyone out there who could possibly do a leader scene for me?

Finally got my hands on a leader scene of Orry, by the wondrous and enigmatic doktorapplejuice

Spoiler :

That's a pretty good leaderhead. Very nice!

What should I name the capital? 'Castletown', or 'Balley Chashtal', the latter being the Manx Gaelic name. The name Castletown is more recognisable, and just feels like it flows a bit more easily, but then again Balley Chashtal is the native name. Other cities have a mix of Gaelic and English names depending preference, i.e. Ramsey will be 'Rhumsaa' but Peel will be Peel, as the Manx Gaelic name is really long winded.

I try to lean toward autonyms, so I guess I would support Balley Chashtal.

personally, i would try to have everything an exonym, just like the vanilla civ 5 does (Cologne instead of Köln etc.), so not only would i make the capital Castletown, i would also not use the name Rhumsaa, i would use Ramsey instead, just like i did on your map.

Castletown? please no. I prefer a more native name...

Hmm, I'm leaning towards English names, partially because, as Nix said the game goes for English names generally, and because the celts civ uses city names such as Castletown, Ramsey etc., though they are quite far down the list.

No, I mean castletown- seriously? What's that name?!

personally, i would try to have everything an exonym, just like the vanilla civ 5 does (Cologne instead of Köln etc.), so not only would i make the capital Castletown, i would also not use the name Rhumsaa, i would use Ramsey instead, just like i did on your map.

This. Besides if we had to go by autonym with everything it just be weird to see famous Cities such as Nuremburg in Nurnburg and Munich into Munchen is just too foreign for me :p

No, I mean castletown- seriously? What's that name?!

It's a town with a Castle

And it was our capital for near a thousand years.
(for clarification, the Castle of Castletown is not named 'Castle')

It's a name straight out of a bad DM's campaign.

It's a name straight out of a bad DM's campaign.

Blame the English, not us.

Vikings and Irish people gave us cool names like 'Snaefell', 'Rhumsaa' and 'Laksaa'.

'Balley Chashtal' just doesn't have the same ring, and as mentioned civ generally goes for English names, Castletown is recognisable, at least for those who are aware of the Island's existence.

Top Bottom