Civ4 Demogame IV

3 (human) v. 9 (AI) at high level is a challenge, believe me.

Best regards,

Some how I missed the earlier discussion of a Confederation Game where we play as 3 civs with permanent alliances. This is a great idea and I don't know why the discussion went cold :confused: . The government structure and RP possibilities are endless. It would also add a new land management aspect when our close borders "spark tensions".

We have about 10-15 active without the forums up yet. Perhaps it is a little too late since the post I quoted was from January.

I'm a complete newbie who is totally up for this.

Can't wait for it to get up and running and join in the fun :)

Well, uh... When are we going to start? We have all the rules, don't we? We should start by electing the King and the council based on the "Roles" thread once everyone has posted in it.

I think we are ready to go we'll just have to use the Demogame III forum until (if ever) we get a new one. I'd say we bold (Dgame IV) at the end of all threads so they will not get confused with the old game 3 ones. It shouldn't take long to get all of the old threads pushed back a page and we can just request the Demogame 3 Forum be renamed DemoGame IV at that time. As it stands now the majority of citizens are behind the Oligarchy Council style of government.
The discussions have led us to this basic layout of the council. We do not yet know our Civilization and all terms below will more than likely change to more represent our civilization. All citizens of Demogame IV should have a place on the council if they so choose.

We do not need many players to start with, a handful is plenty. However it is also designed to allow for a large citizenry. All citizens make up the council and are party to discussions led by the Designated Player (DP), a more appropriate name to be determined. We can rotate the leadership between the Council with a pool or have an election to name the DP. In the early game the council will discuss all of the issues concerning our empire and the DP will play the save. He is not bound to any recommendations from the council. Once we have a few cities, rivals, multiple workers, trade routes, alphabet, etc. we will need to organize the Council and begin dishing out responsibilities. The council will then be divided up into committees. Each committees recommendations to the DP are binding and must be carried out. Council members can belong to as many committees as they sign up for but can only lead one at a time.

There are set times when a new committee is needed:
Domestic Affairs -After we've founded city 3.
Foreign Affairs- Once we've met 2 rival civs.
Science- Once we discover Alphabet
Economy- Once we discover Currency
Military- Once we discover Iron-Working and gain access to Iron resource.

Anything not listed above can fit into one of the 5 committees as a non-elected appointment by the committees leader. A new committee can also be formed with a majority vote from the Council. Committee leaders are first appointed by the DP that played the save when the committee became needed. Then elections for committee leaders are held once they are all filled.

This is not the binding rules just a complilation of the many ideas brought up in the dicussions thus far. I encourage more discussion if anyone is not satisfied.

-I didn't think that everyone would be in the council. How about if we elect a few? Or the President pick a few?
-What about intelligence? Or culture? Well, maybe if the citizens are elected, they can choose their own specialty(s).

Either way it doesn't matter to me. We can all make up the council and elect leaders or all be citizens and elect council members. I guess the latter makes more sense in retrospect. I just put in the 5 basic and added a clause where other council positions could be added with a majority consent from the Council.

yeah lets start this i dont care if we're like 5 or 6 people. the object is to learn and have fun with other people being 6 or 100 people

Can I once again state my dislike for official positions?

Usually these elections are far less than merely uninteresting; they are annoying, usually pointless, and prevent the game from being played for at least a short period. Besides there is no accountability if people fail to perform there job or post

And what would their jobs be anyway? If these posts grant the holder the authority to make unilateral decisions then they serve only to limit player involvement, but if they do not grant that power then why have them?

All we need someone to play the save and post really awesome turn reports.

@1889
Glad to see you onboard and I see where you are coming from. However this is a DemoGame and what you are proposing is more of a succession game. I am in a few SG's and they are great and usually run alot smoother. Giving citizens roles and responsibilities is a necessary part of a Dgame though, IMO. Official positions are not necessary but organizing the citizenry is. I am very much in favor of letting each citizen choose his/her role in the Dgame instead of electing official positions. If 2 or more citizens want the same responsibility let them share it by forming a council or some variation of.

@NKVD
We are ready to go we just need to iron out the basic rules necessary to get the game rolling.

@ Lord Civius: Very well, but for those of you who pick positions and then don't post, be on notice. I will be Chief of Police (cooler sounding title to be substituted after we pick a civ).

We also need some game settings.

Just to try something a little different how about Terra or Earth2 maps. They start all civs on one continent and leave a barbarian continent to be conquered later.

In the past DG's start to die when the win is assured and with so many experienced players debating strategy DG games usually reach that point quite quickly. So I think we should play immortal difficulty level or emperor with raging barbs at least. Then again who doesn't want to try Deity, raging barbs, no tech brokering?

I agree with 1889 in that there should not be any official positions. I feel that they caused unnecessary strife in previous games (i.e. the only one I played). A more anarchic form of electing "officials" should still hold even without written rules. That is why I advocate a direct democracy for pretty much all of the game with a simple constitution containing most of the rules.
I liked Pro's idea of 3 seperate groups, but also disliked the fact that I could (and do) want to play in both RP and technical groups. So a simple separation by sub-forums and separate rules on these sub-forums (voted on by the sub-forum) could allow a wide range of playing styles to join and participate.

@ Lord Civius: Very well, but for those of you who pick positions and then don't post, be on notice. I will be Chief of Police (cooler sounding title to be substituted after we pick a civ).
Very well, 1889 has created the first official position "WatchDog". ;)
We also need some game settings.

Just to try something a little different how about Terra or Earth2 maps. They start all civs on one continent and leave a barbarian continent to be conquered later.

In the past DG's start to die when the win is assured and with so many experienced players debating strategy DG games usually reach that point quite quickly. So I think we should play immortal difficulty level or emperor with raging barbs at least. Then again who doesn't want to try Deity, raging barbs, no tech brokering?

I like the idea of an Earth 2 map and you are spot on about a sure win hurting participation. I think Deity, raging barbs, no tech brokering will limit participation to very advanced players. Immortal with Aggressive AI should be a good challenge or Emperor with Raging barbs would be alot of fun.

I tend to like the lower skill levels better. Maybe we shouldn't go so high as immortal? What about Monarch? I can at least play that.

Top Bottom