Polynesia Trade Routes

Tahiti1

Chieftain
Even though Polynesia can travel the oceans freely right off the bat, they are still restricted to coast-based trade routes until Astronomy

Does anyone else think this should be fixed?

I can agree but I think it set the balanced Polynesia to a bit op but it would make sense.

It would make sense, that's for sure. It's a buff, but I don't see it becoming too OP.

Not OP at all. Polynesia is bottom tier, it would elevate them no higher than mid tier. And yes, it would make perfect sense. Maybe put a special restriction that the tiles must be previously uncovered from the fog (I still find it strange that caravans can pass through and uncover fog by themselves).

I can imagine nothing worse than a polynesian settler trundling across the ocean to your continent, fed by 2 cargo ships to make it bigger than your capital in 10 turns XD

It would be awesome, but if it's not in right now, it's been purposely left out for balance reasons that were established pre-release.

Not OP at all. Polynesia is bottom tier, it would elevate them no higher than mid tier. And yes, it would make perfect sense. Maybe put a special restriction that the tiles must be previously uncovered from the fog (I still find it strange that caravans can pass through and uncover fog by themselves).

Have you played them recently? They are one of the BEST culture civs there are now!

Yeah i wouldnt call polynesia bottom tier either solid for almost any victory. This makes complete sense to me though and I would like to see it implemented. It would further enhance the value of your ability to settle some far flung island if the sea level is high because you could pump it full of food. OP? Not necessarily because you still have to do research to gain the trade ship so its not like you could run two food caravans to a place completely separated by ocean in the opening turns of the game.

I can imagine nothing worse than a polynesian settler trundling across the ocean to your continent, fed by 2 cargo ships to make it bigger than your capital in 10 turns XD

The trade routes would still be limited in length by the technology of the time. If Polynesia is settling on another continent across an ocean, I doubt its cargo ships could get to that new city.

The trade routes would still be limited in length by the technology of the time. If Polynesia is settling on another continent across an ocean, I doubt its cargo ships could get to that new city.

20 tiles is often more than enough to travel to the coast of another continent. Not always, but often i find this to be the case, so presuming you settle on the nearest two coasts in at a roughly even latitude, chances are you will get some benefit :goodjob:

I don't particularly see this being the problem however, it's just a nice little perk for city placement. It's no more powerful than being able to feed your own cities as it. I think the reason it is not included is a combination of almost guaranteed safe passage for long distance gold routes very early, and access to the longest possible routes early. That would be an excellent early gold farm, especially combined with being able to explore those potentially accessible distant continents are the limits of your trade route range

I played Polynesia last week Diety/Archipelago/Domination victory. I.E. cooked settings on a balanced map what makes Polynesia better than other civs?

Moai tourism yield with hotels. Potential whole bunch of tiles yielding tourism that no-one else has access to. Culture helps towards any victory, so i think solid is a suitable word for their other victory types, as opposed to definitively good, but for a cultural victory they've got a leg up on most civs now

You can't get a lot of supplies in a canoe.

Remind me, exactly how long is a piece of string? :p

Technically speaking you could get more in a polynesian boat because their multi-hulled boats were more stable than mono-hulled boats, since they need less ballast to keep them upright leaving either more space for goods, or taking up less weight to go faster back and forth delivering more loads :goodjob:

...what makes Polynesia better than other civs?

You can find most of the ancient ruins and CS and civs in the game almost imidiately.

You can settle any deserted island before anyone else.

The moais are great late game, and sometimes ok even early on.

Polynesia is imo one of the top civs for any type of win d/t lots of culture/policies.

Moai tourism yield with hotels. Potential whole bunch of tiles yielding tourism that no-one else has access to. Culture helps towards any victory, so i think solid is a suitable word for their other victory types, as opposed to definitively good, but for a cultural victory they've got a leg up on most civs now

Moai tiles are game dependant as they need to be on the coast and and they prohibit other tile improvements. I'm not saying that aren't good but they are definitely inferior to Châteaus.

You can find most of the ancient ruins and CS and civs in the game almost imidiately.

You can settle any deserted island before anyone else.

The moais are great late game, and sometimes ok even early on.

Polynesia is imo one of the top civs for any type of win d/t lots of culture/policies.

On any map other than islands you won't have to embark to get ruins and of course if you cook the settings any civ is going to seem strong put Denmark on a Frosty Archipelago map and Harold is pretty good.

Moai Tiles are inferior to Châteaus they must be placed on Coasts.

Name one thing on a balanced map that Polynesia does as well or better than any other civ?

Moai tiles are game dependant as they need to be on the coast and and they prohibit other tile improvements. I'm not saying that aren't good but they are definitely inferior to Châteaus.

You should note that i said "one of the best" not definitively the best. ;) Polynesia's coastal bias always tends to give them a good amount of moais though, so they aren't often far off, though i would argue they are often better. Chateaus are also game dependent after all. Moais have the potential to yield far more tourism than chateaus too, so to say the french are definitively better at tourism than the polynesians based purely on their UI's is a big stretch. The theming bonus puts them head and shoulders above the poor polynesians though. I still think polynesia are potentially better than brazil though.

You should note that i said "one of the best" not definitively the best. ;) Polynesia's coastal bias always tends to give them a good amount of moais though, so they aren't often far off, though i would argue they are often better. Chateaus are also game dependent after all. Moais have the potential to yield far more tourism than chateaus too, so to say the french are definitively better at tourism than the polynesians based purely on their UI's is a big stretch. The theming bonus puts them head and shoulders above the poor polynesians though. I still think polynesia are potentially better than brazil though.

What quantity of Civs do you include in the group "one of the best", Polynesia gets a Coastal Bias but doesn't guarantee that you'll have lots of coastal space or a coastal start for that matter and therefore you aren't guaranteed to get any number of Moai tiles.

Not only do the French have a better UI than Polynesia but their UA is doubles the theming bonus in the Capital. Clearly the French are superior from a cultural standpoint.

I don't really like Brazil either but their UI is also more readily available on balanced maps and their UA boosts culture dramatically.

Polynesia is better than Denmark on balanced maps but that's about it.

Top Bottom