Warmonger for building a nuke

Teaf

Warlord
Has this always been the case? Two of my allies in my game instantly deemed me a warmongering menace to the world (bold red letters) as soon as I built a nuke. Haven't even used it, just simply built it. Not sure if this has always been the case or is this new?

I only seen AI become Afraid right away when I build it. Didn't notice (or care) if they saw me as a warmonger. It probably is a new feature in this aspect.

Wow, this definetely sounds like a new feature. I don't think the AI cared at all in G&K or vanilla. As I recall, you could nuke an entire civilization into the stone age and the remaining players wouldn't care one bit (although they might freak out if you declared war).

I like the touch that civs become afraid for quite some time after you get a nuke (not sure what triggers the move to a different status - maybe getting a nuke of their own?) but I haven't noticed a warmonger penalty from it, and I routinely check my relations tooltips.

I don't think so. What most likely happened is that they were "hiding" their "real emotions" under the cloak of their stance (Friendly, Hostile, Afraid, etc), but as soon as you got the nukes, and if they do not have them, the stance receives a big modifier towards Afraid and Hostile, and that makes the AI show more of the stance modifiers that were hidden before.

In other words, they were already considering you a warmonger, they just did not show it for a while (what is called inside the code DECEPTIVE approach).

Huh, so far I was able to get nukes only in two games and both times half of civs in game already saw me as a wormonger and the rest were my close friends, who tend to forgive almost everything. In my latest game there is a precarious balance and i'm not rly anyone's friend, so we'll se what happens.

Did you declare war in the past on either a civ or a city-state?

Yeah, Japan around turn 60 (built nukes around turn 360). I guess it's linked to that, just weird it comes back when I build a nuke as the relationship Venice and Netherlands had with me was impecable and I had about 7 - 8 bold green diplomacy modifiers and no red.

Seems pretty realistic to me. Just look at the real world and nations like N Korea and Iran that are seeking nuclear capablities. I wouldn't be surprised if sanctions come following your way!

In my latest game, I managed to build a single nuke and then have the U.N. issue the non-nuclear-proliferation act. I've been parading the nuke around in my Missile Cruiser, just for fun, sailing it from capital to capital and just sitting there menacingly.

Everyone is only "Guarded" with me, though. How much more sinister do I have to be? Sheesh.

In my latest game, I managed to build a single nuke and then have the U.N. issue the non-nuclear-proliferation act. I've been parading the nuke around in my Missile Cruiser, just for fun, sailing it from capital to capital and just sitting there menacingly.

Everyone is only "Guarded" with me, though. How much more sinister do I have to be? Sheesh.

Having one nuke isn`t going to scare any Leader that much- (Unless you hit him!). Sure, you can waste a city with great ferocity, but only once. Even in real life, most Nations would not be that scared with anyone having only one nuke. It took 2 nukes to get Japan to surrender and that`s when hardly anyone knew they existed. I think America only had 3 at the time.

Having one nuke isn`t going to scare any Leader that much- (Unless you hit him!). Sure, you can waste a city with great ferocity, but only once. Even in real life, most Nations would not be that scared with anyone having only one nuke. It took 2 nukes to get Japan to surrender and that`s when hardly anyone knew they existed. I think America only had 3 at the time.

Actually, in my last game I rush-bought 2 nukes (after having none), and the NEXT TURN two AI's turned afraid and very soon after offered me a DoF. They stop being afraid as soon as they build a nuke of their own.

Actually, in my last game I rush-bought 2 nukes (after having none), and the NEXT TURN two AI's turned afraid and very soon after offered me a DoF. They stop being afraid as soon as they build a nuke of their own.

The dll code does not check the number of nukes any player has, only IF he has them or not, and also a probability of use (which is hardcoded to 100% for the human player... :D ). If probability of use is bigger than 50%, and a player has nukes while the specific civ does not, then the code adds a heavy modifier to the approach calculations towards AFRAID and HOSTILE.

The dll code does not check the number of nukes any player has, only IF he has them or not, and also a probability of use (which is hardcoded to 100% for the human player... :D ). If probability of use is bigger than 50%, and a player has nukes while the specific civ does not, then the code adds a heavy modifier to the approach calculations towards AFRAID and HOSTILE.

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if the fact that I had more than 1 nuke made a difference, but by that explanation it seems it didn't matter.

Top Bottom