Gurra's Civilizations

Gurra09

Emperor
Welcome to the collection of civilizations I have managed to create, with the help of you good people here on the forums. Only one has been released yet but more may come. Enjoy! :)

Note: My civs require Brave New World to be played.

Sikh Empire

Download: CivFanatics | Steam Workshop
Screenshots: link

Leader: Ranjit Singh
Unique Ability:
Sarkar-e-Khalsa
+10% :c5strength: Combat Strength bonus if within 2 tiles of a Holy Site. +1 :c5faith: Faith from each Farm.

Unique Unit:
Guru (replaces Great Prophet)
Aside from the normal Great Prophet abilities, the Guru can also create a Great Work of Writing.

Unique Building:
Gurdwara (replaces Temple)
+1 :c5food:, +1 additional :c5food: per Religion in a city. No maintenance costs.

Credits:
LastSword for the Lua code that made the Guru UU possible.
TPangolin, JFD and AgressiveWimp for icons.
Wodhann for the map.
RawSasquatch for leaderscene and DOM screen.
danrell for the Guru unit model.
kirtanraag for the music.
The More Wonders team for the Harmandir Sahib wonder.
All the nice people who gave me ideas, feedback and help. :)

Includes mod support for the following mods: Civ IV Traits, Cultural Diversity, Ethnic Units, Events & Decisions, JFD's Piety, Map Labels, Unique Cultural Influence and YnAEMP.

This post is for things not already released, whether it be new upcoming civs or future updates to released civs. I also keep lists of issues to solve or things I might need help with.

For upcoming civs, keep in mind that I'm not consistent in setting aside time for modding so those are all set to be released "soon" if you know what I mean.

Jämtland
My most recent project is the republic of Jämtland, nowadays one of Sweden's counties but during the medieval era an independent peasant republic.
Spoiler original concept and latest update (2016-04-15) :
Link to original post.

It's time to announce what I have been working on this week. My upcoming civ will be a little bit closer to home than Punjab, and it is the...

Republic of Jämtland

Leader: Östman Gudfastsson

Östman Gudfastsson is mentioned on Jämtland's only remaining runestone, the Frösö Runestone, and is attributed to have Christianized Jämtland. Jämtland was up until 1178 (when it was conquered by Norway) an independent peasant republic ruled by all free men through a thing, the Jamtamót, so finding a leader was hard. I settled on him as there is at least evidence he might have existed. I'm not sure whether to use the Swedish name for him, Östman Gudfastsson, or the Norse name written on the runestone, Austmaðr Guðfastarsun.

City list:
Spoiler :
Östersund
Frösön
Strömsund
Brunflo
Hammerdal
Krokom
Åre
Bräcke
Hammarstrand
Järpen
Lit
Gällö
Hoting
Stugun
Backe
Mörsil
Ås
Duved
Svenstavik
Nälden

Unique Ability: Christener of Jamtaland
- If no own religion has been founded, Jämtland will benefit from its majority religion as if they had founded it.

I have literally no knowledge whether this UA is possible to code nor how one would go about to code it. But I thought it was a cool idea for a unique ability to make the choice of Östman Gudfastsson as leader more relevant. I'd really appreciate hearing your feedback on this.

Unique Building: Mótstead (replaces Courthouse)
In addition to regular Courthouse abilities:
- Can be built in any city.
- No maintenance costs.
- +2 happiness
- Trade routes others make to a city with a Mótstead generates +1 gold for the city owner and +1 gold for the trade route owner.

The Mótstead is here to represent the ruling thing of medieval independent Jämtland, Jamtamót. The week during which Jamtamót was assembled had people coming in to Frösön from all over Jämtland which made for a big market that continues on to this day under the name Gregory Market, as it is held on Saint Gregory Day (March 12). This was the idea for borrowing the Market's ability of gold from trade routes. Does that make sense or could there be a better way to represent it?

Unique Unit: President of Jamtland (replaces Great Writer)
- Can perform a concert tour in addition to Great Writer abilities.

This unit has nothing to do with independent medieval Jämtland, but a modern half-serious "independence movement" called the Republic of Jamtland promoting regional culture and taking part an annual music festival in Östersund called Storsjöyran. The republic has a President who is a cultural figure with some sort of connection to Jämtland. There have only been three Presidents to date but to get enough great works I have made several copies of each president which currently totals to 8 great works of writing. Is this enough or do I need to find more sources for great works?
Spoiler current list of presidents and their unique great works :
President Yngve Gamlin
KnäppUpp - a series of popular revues he took part in setting up together with Swedish entertainer Povel Ramel. (This one doesn't have a quote.)
Hjolbänningar - a mockumentary he made about the mythical supernatural beings "hjolbänningar" in Jämtland. (This one doesn't have a quote.)
The Flata Monster - another mockumentary he made about a Loch Ness-like monster in a Jämtland lake.

President Moltas Erikson
Norgevisan - a controversial song he sang in an entertainment TV program about Norway being a "rotten, rotten country"
Presidentens tal (1983) - the Storsjöyran festival was revived in 1983 after being dormant for a few years, and he spoke there as the newly inaugurated President of Jamtland.

President Ewert Ljusberg
Jamtelagen - a list of 10 commandments for Jamts to follow, the name is a spin on the concept Jantelagen.
Presidentens tal (2007) - a quote from a speech he held at Storsjöyran in 2007.
Presidentens tal (2008) - a quote from another speech he held at Storsjöyran in 2008.

What needs to be done
Here's a list of what hasn't been done yet and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Balance: This one explains itself. Are the UA/UU/UB and the overall scope of the civ balanced? Any thoughts on changes or improvements?

Leaderscreen: Östman would need a leaderscreen and it is sadly way beyond my skills to make one. A major problem is that there aren't any sources I can find as to what he looked like. I'm thinking a leaderscreen of Östman would be a generic Scandinavian man, standing outdoors in front of the Frösö Runestone.

Icons: Icons for UU, UB, and leader. I'm not sure yet what to use for reference when it comes to the UU and UB art. Leader icon depends on the leaderscreen of course.

Unique Ability: As I said earlier I don't know how to make the UA happen or whether it is even possible. Any point in the right direction is helpful here.

Unit model: Should I give the President a unique model or does the Great Writer model work? If they are to get their own model, any ideas to an existing one out there you think would be goods?

Unique Decisions: I have ideas for unique decisions to give the mod some E&D Support but I haven't tried getting into coding them. I did manage to make one decision happen for the Sikhs with lots and lots of copy paste and the help of people here on the forums. I can do XML, and I can understand SQL, but Lua is not really in my book. Decision ideas in the spoiler, feedback is welcome:
Spoiler :
Assemble Jamtamót
I have two separate ideas for this decision actually, I'd love feedback on which one is the best.

Idea 1
Requirement/Restrictions:
- Player must be Jämtland.
- Must have a Mótstead built in the capital.
- Cannot be enacted before the Medieval era.
- Can only be enacted once

Costs:
- 1 magistrates

Rewards:
- Mótsteads generate +2 culture.

Idea 2
Requirement/Restrictions:
- Player must be Jämtland
- Must have researched Mathematics.
- Must not have a Mótstead built in the capital.

Costs:
- 2 or 3 magistrates

Rewards:
- A Mótstead is built in the capital.
- Mótsteads generate +1 culture.

Revive Storsjöyran

Requirements/Restrictions:
- Player must be Jämtland
- Must have researched Radio

Costs:
- Lump sum of culture or gold or both?

Rewards:
- A President of Jamtland spawns in the capital.

Knights Hospitaller

Spoiler in-game screenshot :

Spoiler original concept :
Link to original post. I remind you that this is the original concept which means certain aspects may have changed since this was posted.

Order of the Knights of Saint John (Knights Hospitaller)
Spoiler :
Leader: Jean Parisot de Valette
Unique Ability
Tuitio Fidei
+1 :c5faith: Faith from Forts and +3 :c5faith: Faith from Citadels. Never eliminated from the game, even when they lose their last city.

Unique Unit
Knight of St. John (replaces Knight)
Knight replacement that doesn't require Horses to be built. Starts with Medic promotion and when garrisoned in a city it functions as an Inquisitor (prohibits foreign religions to spread).

Unique Building
Grand Harbor (replaces Seaport)
Seaport replacement that also gives a defensive bonus to the city, +5 :c5strength: and +15 HP.

Spoiler preliminary city list :
Valletta
Rhodes
Mdina
Birgu
Tripoli
Basseterre
Senglea
Cospicua
Rabat
Marigot
Dingli
Cittadella
Floriana
Marsamxett
Fort Manoel
Fort Ricasoli
Mgarr
Nadur
Fort Chambray
St. Paul's Bay
Jerusalem (if Jerusalem isn't in the game and you make it to the bottom of the city list, you get to found Jerusalem as a reward!)

What is done:
- Most of the XML coding.

What is not done:
- Art - all of it! This is why I shouldn't have gone back into civ modding because I. Suck. At. Art. I just can't make anything decent. We'll see how this goes. :p
- Balance - here is where I want your feedback, but also need to do some playtesting myself. Do you think the UA/UU/UB sound reasonable? If not, what changes do you think are in order?
- Other minor things such as music and civilopedia entries which I will deal with when everything else is done.

Spoiler latest substantial progress update (2015-09-22) :
Link to original post.

I had a look at my Knights Hospitaller civ yesterday, trying to get back into the modding saddle after taking a break. A few things:

Imported the unit icon for Knight of St John that poom3619 made for me. It's not perfect yet because I must have accidentally made the circle a bit elliptic considering how it looks on the right edge, but it looks really nice. Thanks poom!

I removed the "never dies with the last city" part of the UA because that just makes you live forever even when you lose your last unit - this mechanic comes from the Korean scenario where guerillas spawn but I'm not doing that. I'm open for suggestions as to what I could add do the UA other than what I already have, which is "+1 Faith and Culture from Walls, Castles, and Arsenals" - also, should I add Military Base to that list? That would give the faith/culture bonus to all defensive buildings, but I thought military base might be too modern for the scope of this civ.

Another thing about the UA - the faith and culture is assigned through unique buildings which makes them all listed in the Civilopedia under the Knights. Is there a way to hide them from the Civilopedia so that there aren't two Walls/Castle/Arsenal in the buildings list? I would still like them to show up in the city view though since they're supposed to act like their original counterparts. This is just a minor annoyance though, I can totally live with having them around in the Civilopedia if there's no easy fix. :)

Last but not least I was thinking of what JFD culture group to assign the Knights. Since they are on Malta and Italian and all, the Southern group would make sense. But I was also thinking about Western since Knights came from all over western Europe - I thought it wouldn't be too far fetched with France and Spain being in that group. What do you think - Southern or Western?

Romani Nation
Discontinued.

Republic of Cospaia
I have not started working on this civ, and I am not sure whether I will, but here's a partly finished concept draft I posted just to throw it out there.

Spoiler original concept draft :
Link to original post.

Republic of Cospaia

Leader: ???

Cospaia was anarchist in nature and had no leader except for a 'council of elders' but I have found no prominent members of said council. So I have no clue what to do for a leader.

UA: Firm and Eternal Liberty

Not totally sure what to do for a UA yet, Cospaia was a haven for smugglers due to its independent status so perhaps something to reflect that. Firm and Eternal Liberty is a translation of the republic's motto "Perpetua et firma libertas". Mostly a placeholder name but if it fits whatever UA I end up making I might keep it around because it sounds nice.

UI: Tobacco Farm/Plantation

Requires Currency and spawns a unique Tobacco luxury resource when built. Yields +2 gold and +2 culture (yields not set in stone but gold/culture sounded good).

I'm not sure about what restrictions to do for this improvement as I want to avoid giving the Cospaia player dozens of Tobacco resources. I currently have three ideas for this:

1. Build on top of normal plantation resources which turns that resource into a Tobacco resource.
2. Build on top of a farm that lies right next to a city, but there can't be two right next to each other.
3. Build on top of wheat which turns the resource into tobacco.

UB: Warehouse

Replaces Mint, +2 gold from Tobacco, Citrus, and Cocoa instead of Gold and Silver.

The idea being that Cospaia didn't do much mining but they planted tobacco and stuff to trade without restrictions. I don't know about Warehouse for a name, just didn't come up with anything better.

Wait... what icons did I give you? :confused:
Also, that right there ^ post above. That is literally life.

I like making fun of people who misuse the word "literally" :)

You helped me out with the alpha icons which are technically Firaxis icons but I couldn't get them working myself, and you also made a civ icon even though it ended up not being included. All in all, I thought you deserved being on that list.

If you're looking for good music you should ask JFD where he gets his, his civ's have very good music.

He gets most of his from Europa Universalis. :/ Not exactly a game with a ton of Indian music, IIRC.

A new challenger emerges! Thanks for making a civ!

One thing I saw some time ago for an alternative Mongolia UA that could work for the Yuan is being able to construct the unique units/buildings/improvements of any civilization who's original capital you control.

This is VERY nice civ...
For the yuan their UA could be 50% less unhappiness from conquered cities,and improvements are constructed 25% faster in conquered territory. Melee land units move at double rate on roads.

One thing I saw some time ago for an alternative Mongolia UA that could work for the Yuan is being able to construct the unique units/buildings/improvements of any civilization who's original capital you control.

Oh, I like that idea! I'll definitely look into it. Although I did see that regalman and Light in the East seem to be working on a Yuan civ already, and it would be more fun to do something new. :think:

Thanks for the tip, but I can't watch the video. Youtube tells me it doesn't exist... :crazyeye:

Edit: Ok, Youtube stopped being weird now. Nice music! Could work as either peace or war theme. They had some other music too and I liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZKXwkg0y0&index=4&list=PLizsrxkccU3JrEByQKbQD31wEX0FDW5HL

Now if I were to use both of these, which one is peace and which one is war?

A lot of people have tried making a UA of this ilk and it simply doesn't work. Makes the game engine implode or something, but essentially it would require forcing the game engine to allow a player to build a building banned to them. No one has figured out a way to make this function yet. :/

So what's the deal with Mahrawali at the end of the city list? Seems like some random minor village of no note. Is it the obligatory easter-egg someone notable from there like how the America list has Sid Meier's hometown? :p

The city list is based on this map of Punjab under Ranjit Singh: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/Punjab_under_Ranjit_Singh1823-1839.jpg

While I did my best to arrange the city list in a relevant order (first half is more after importance while the second half is mostly about population), I am open to suggestions about rearranging the list. Some tweaks to the city list will probably be part of the next update along with music. :) For reference, I included the current city list in this post (and will add it to my updates post):

Spoiler :
Lahore
Gujranwala
Amritsar
Multan
Rawalpindi
Faisalabad
Sialkot
Peshawar
Jammu
Gujrat
Srinagar
Shujabad
Dera Ghazi Khan
Hoshiarpur
Gurdaspur
Dera Ismail Khan
Mithankot
Wazirabad
Mahrawali

Ohhh that says Mianwali, not Mahrawali! Assuming you're talking about the one north of Dera Ismaili Khan.

Well some other things in that area are Pakpattan, Jhelum, Poonch (or Punch if you wish), Haripur (Hazara on that map), Bannu, Kohat, Nowshera, Kapurthala, Shahpur (called Sargodha nowadays as a city), Jamrud (the westernmost fort of the empire), and Gilgit (a northernmost place conquered later on). That makes 11, bringing this to 30, which is pretty much the base aim of most city lists since that's about what you'd be getting on the absolute largest maps with the absolute highest expansionism (more common on the Terra maps I play most since a natural period of colonialism ensues...sometimes).

So yes here is what I think it'd be like in order:

Spoiler :

Lahore
Gujranwala
Amritsar
Multan
Rawalpindi
Faisalabad
Sialkot
Peshawar
Jammu
Gujrat
Haripur
Srinagar
Shujabad
Jhelum
Dera Ghazi Khan
Hoshiarpur
Kapurthala
Gurdaspur
Pakpattan
Poonch
Shahpur
Dera Ismail Khan
Kohat
Mithankot
Bannu
Nowshera
Wazirabad
Mianwali
Jamrud
Gilgit

cities!

Ooh, that explains it! The handwriting on the map is a little hard to read in some places and when I searched for what I read, which was something like "Miurawali", they asked me if I meant Mahrawali... :p

Thanks for your city list suggestion, seems like a good one. :)

Top Bottom