[Feedback needed] AND2 Checker: Easy installation and update v0.3

No I started the mod and the game was vanilla BTS. no bug, no version popup, etc.

PLANET

I just looked into the AND folder and noticed the assets folder missing so I an running the checker. It takes over an hour to update so I will report back after it finishes.

Then I have no idea, sorry. I still haven't tried dbkblk latest installer/launcher. I'll try and see what happens but it won't be before tomorrow because it's late here in Italy. I'll let you know if I can replicate your problem and I can solve it.

@oldnoob: I've tried on my VM and it works for me. I don't know how to reproduce the bug.
When you're launching the update, does it create files in "Mods/" instead of "Mods/Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" ?

EDIT: I've created a script to imitate the updater. Download this and put it in the mod folder ("C:\Jeux\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\" in my VM). Make sure you have a subfolder named "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" then launch the script.

Another lead would be to open "CivilizationIV.ini" in "My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/" and check the line "Mod =" which should be "Mod = Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn". Also check if the line isn't written two times or incorrectly formatted or whatever.

EDIT2: I had another idea: Could you check if you don't have two folders "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" one in My Documents and the other one in the game folder. Maybe the game try to load the wrong folder ?

@ Dbkblk, After I updated to v847(?) I spent two (12 hour) days trying to reinstall Civ4, BTS and Rom-AND. TWO complete Game reinstalls, FOUR Rom-AND installs plus defragging and all the rest. so you must understand that I have thoroughly cleaned out the C:/user folder several times. THIS IS NOT MY FAULT!!!!!
NO I WILL NOT tryout your download folder until I read that at least three other people have downloaded it. I do not want that aggravation again.

:S

Could you give me some informations about your OS ? 32 bits / 64 bits ? Where is the exact path of your game installation / mod ? Steam version / classic ?
This is quite hard for me to fix a bug i don't encounter while trying to reproduce it... You have to understand that i want to help !

The launcher is set to work with relative path. It only affect the folder it is inside, so i will need more information to fix that. There is no information in the registry.

W7 64bit pro.
All of my games are located in Drive G. WD Black 1T.

Path G:/Civ4/BTS/MODS/

I would upload screenshots but for some reason windows photo viewer does not seem to work so I cannot find where they hide when I take them.

Path G:/Civ4/BTS/MODS/
Thanks. When you write "G:/Civ4/BTS/MODS/", you mean "G:/Civ4/Beyond the Sword/MODS/" ? The default installation is written with spaces.

Same Same. I never touch the Civ4 or the btd install. it is the way the games installed themselves.

All I ever do is download a mod installer then direct the installer to the link to drive G shown in the installer search box. there is never any reason for ME to type any location instruction. SOOOOOOOO the 64 dollar question IS how can an installation EVER be misdirected????

Also to be clear, I purchased retail box Civ4 the day it appeared on the store shelves for $59.95. I purchased retail box BTS the same day it appeared on the store shelves for $39.95.

yes patched to v3.19
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT; Ok here's what I am doing. I copied my complete Civ folder to a stick for safekeeping..
Now I have downloaded the installer and installed it to the proper mod folder.---The checker is running.
this is how the mod has been played for some weeks. the trouble and corruption happened WHEN I used the updater to update the mod. THATS WHEN the updater overwrote the Beyond the Sword/ mods/ folder and erased everything. the updater installed the whole mod into the Beyond the Sword/ mods folder overwriting everything ainstead of installing the "update" to the Rise of Mankind-A New Dawn folder.
So now when the updater finishes I expect to have a playable current SVN version. The Test will come when I run the updater for the next version update.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after a two hour "update" from SVN's slow server, I find a hundred xml errors. So I suppose I will have to uninstall and reinstall. Woopie! What FUN I am having!!

The updater will only run once so it cannot overwrite corrupted or add missing files so what else can I do?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deleted Assets folder then "updated" again = A hundred xml errors

here are some logs.

Why are there TWO ini's in the Beyond the Sword/mods/Rise of Mankind- a new dawn folder?

I will look your logs. It's anormal to have 2 ini files !
"Rise Of Mankind-A new Dawn.ini" shouldn't exist. You should remove it and retry.

which one? they are different.

The one named exactly like i said. It seems the game has generated a new ini named "Rise Of Mankind-A new Dawn.ini" (and NOT "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn.ini"). If you open it, you can see that "Description = Generic Mod". I'm not sure it will resolve your problem but it has nothing to do here !

EDIT: WAIT ! The folder should be "Rise of Mankind - A new dawn" AND NOT "Rise of Mankind- a new dawn". Add the space ! The launcher set the game to launch the mod in the folder named EXACTLY "Rise of Mankind - A new dawn" so i think it didn't find your mod installation and loaded a generic mod with the same name (just assumptions...).

@45: Could you check the files oldnooob provided ? i'm not used to read python debug files but it doesn't seems to contains fatal errors.

@oldnood: "please read the files. that was a typo on my post." How is the folder exactly named ? You send me an ini file with the exact same name in your logs, so the problem might be because of this missing space between the "d" and "-".

You could try ! Basically, the launcher just ensure the mod folder is exactly the same as this one: http://civ.afforess.com/repo/ with the exception of the files listed in checker/exclusions.*.xml.

ini files should have the same name of the folder so "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn.ini" for the folder "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn". If the folder's name is "Rise of Mankind-A New Dawn" (without spaces), the same is the ini file. I think that file is created automatically if it doesn't exist (i.e. if it doesn't match the folder's name).

deleted all three inis. ran ckecker. checker produced graphical popup no update button available.

THEN I started the game only to find xml errors. the game did produce the proper ini and ini backup.

...with the mod folder exactly named "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" ?

no spaces.

they were created when I started the game.

I think the "extra INI" was created by your emergency bat. file which I ran this morning after my second update last nite had xml errors also.

I am unable to try another update so I am going to abandon this mod installation and try a standard SVN checkout. if that fails I will have to settle for a repro mod install because I know that works because I played a whole game several days ago when I was waiting for you. I uninstalled it when you came back on line so I could continue with your upload mod.

Ok. Try to rename the folder with the spaces "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn". These are required for the mod to work !

Top Bottom