AND Mega Civ Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, congratulations on releasing 1.1 of your Civ pack.

And now some questions:

Is there a Phil/Ind leader in your pack ?

Also, as my PC can take only 10-15 additional civs, should I run the WoC_installer.jar or not ? Because, I have heard that it can cause errors, if you remove the civ after the installer have been run.

Sorry, no Phi/Ind in the pack, not due to balancing issues (Mansa is Sci/Fin after all). It is because none of the LHs I added seem to call for that. IMO Lenin should be Phi/Ind, but he was added by Zappara and carried over by Afforess. I think the biggest trait issue is that Protective, Aggressive, Charismatic, Imperialist, and Expansive are overused, but that has to do with what LHs I could dig up for some of the more "minor" civs due to the fact that many noteworthy leaders were warmongers or defending against warmongers.

WoC_installer.jar is designed to add the extra audio content, so it is worth running just for the LH Pack (Putin, Hitler, Akbar, Meiji, and several others have diplomacy music). Roughly 50% of civs have added audio content, mainly diplomacy music, which should answer your second question. There should be no errors since I have removed civs for testing due to loading time, so it should be fine. I have had errors with it due to my own impatience with it working, but that is a different issue.

I downloaded the files, unzipped them in AND, and run the mod. loading the mod takes hours, and it crashes before loading completly. I run Win7

Have you tried running Civ in English? That might be part of the problem in addition to memory issues which have been stated.

Is this Civ Pack working properly with Prehistoric NWA? Has anybody tested it out?

I doubt that it will work, mainly due to starting techs and Better RoM changes. I think strategyonly plans on adding Civs his style to Pre-NWA.

So many leaders, and not one of them Humanitarian/Organized... Or is that because -70% Civics Upkeep would be too much?

Two LHs should be Hum/Org: Urukagina of Sumeria and Pastrana Colombia. With 200+ LHs, it is easy to miss. Personally, I like the -70% upkeep aspect, since Humanitarian also makes Expansive and Charismatic seem powerful as well (I forgot if I added Hum/Exp, but I doubt it). Balancing-wise, I think it is fair since Mansa is Sci/Fin, which is incredibly powerful for Research.

Well, Lenin is now Phil/Ind in my game. Have all the possible trait combos been used in your pack ?

Well, Lenin is now Phil/Ind in my game. Have all the possible trait combos been used in your pack ?

The Lenin change is one of several I would make for my own play, if I did not have to worry about re-installation due to modding. I do not have all possible trait combinations, mainly due to a lack of art. For example, I do not have Humanitarian/Deceiver, because no one made a Harry S. Truman LH. I do have to admit, I did put effort into fitting in Scientific/Nomad and Industrious/Nomad, but some, such as Seafaring, are harder to add since many Civs are either landlocked or did not take advantage of rivers.

Since there are LHs with duplicate traits, I will be glad to do unused trait combos in cases where it make sense. Such a change would come in an update, along with balancing recommendations and any additions courtesy of the graphics forum.

Weird, have you added the Hum/Org LH in 1.1. I didn't see any in 1.0...

Pastrana was added in 1.1 with Colombia, so he was added with 1.1. Urukagina was added back in the days of the RoM LH Pack, along with Faisal and Nasser, second to the last round of additions. He is easy to miss if you do not play Sumeria; sometimes I forgot that Sumeria was added by Firaxis.

No, because I was searching specifically for this combination of traits, so I looked up all the Organized leaders, and none of them was Humanitarian... :/

Strange. The only two reasons I can think of that Urukagina didn't load is that you did not install all of the LH Pack leaders or where using an old MLF file in Custom Leaderheads. Well, he should be available now, as well as the LH for Colombia.

Hi, I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly and ran the .jar file, but unfortunately, the game crashes while it's loading. These are the steps I took.
Downloaded all the files to the Mods folder of Beyond the Sword.
Extracted all the files
Ran the .jar
Deleted tons of civs until I have 30 civs left in Custom_Civilizations
Ran the .jar again
Load game
Load Mod
Crash

I tried doing it with only 13 new civs and it still crashed.

Hi, I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly and ran the .jar file, but unfortunately, the game crashes while it's loading. These are the steps I took.
Downloaded all the files to the Mods folder of Beyond the Sword.
Extracted all the files
Ran the .jar
Deleted tons of civs until I have 30 civs left in Custom_Civilizations
Ran the .jar again
Load game
Load Mod
Crash

I tried doing it with only 13 new civs and it still crashed.

I've heard of this very problem. Afforess said somethign to the effect of, do NOT load the mod AFTER you load the game, but create a game shortcut to automatically load the mod.

For example, this is how my AND shortcut looks:

"X:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=/Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

with the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" being the mod folder. And yes, one of my harddrives is labeled X:\ Makes it sound zesty.

I've heard of this very problem. Afforess said somethign to the effect of, do NOT load the mod AFTER you load the game, but create a game shortcut to automatically load the mod.

For example, this is how my AND shortcut looks:

"X:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=/Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

with the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" being the mod folder. And yes, one of my harddrives is labeled X:\ Makes it sound zesty.

Tried it but it doesn't work either. Can anyone else help me with this problem?
On the other hand, it loads noticeable y faster right before crashing using this method. I am using 'run as administrator' on my windows 7

OK, I would suggest a clean reinstall. After that, decide which Civs you want to play with. When you have your selection, then run the .jar. Hopefully that fixes things.

still doesn't work. How about issues with zapara's modular arstyles? I can't seem to find it. Would that be a problem?

If someone could just show me a screenshot of how they have this modmod set up, that'd be really helpful too, I guess

Ok I reinstalled even ROM AND along with this mod. Now, the game works, but I can't access any of the stuff from the AND LH pack ingame. Leaders like Cleopatra have just plan disappeared. Any help?

Ok I reinstalled even ROM AND along with this mod. Now, the game works, but I can't access any of the stuff from the AND LH pack ingame. Leaders like Cleopatra have just plan disappeared. Any help?
I had this problem a while ago. It was something about the folder path...thing...I'll just give it to you in the words of a proffesional:

OK, it sounds like you are having folder path issues.

For installing a Civilization, it goes into the "Custom_Civilizations" folder, which is in the "Modules" folder. The path should look like:
"Assets/Modules/Custom_Civilizations/(Civilization)"

I should also note for new LH art, the path should be:
"Assets/Modules/Custom Leaderheads/Other/(Leader)"

If you did that, the issue is the MLF file in the Modules folder. You will need to take the "MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.XML" file from the "Modules" folder in my .zip and overwrite the one in the "Modules" folder in A New Dawn mod. The one in the Modules folder should have the following two entries:
Code:
				<Module>
					<Directory>Custom Leaderheads</Directory>
					<bLoad>1</bLoad>
				</Module>
				<Module>
					<Directory>Custom_Civilizations</Directory>
					<bLoad>1</bLoad>
				</Module>
Also, "Custom Leaderheads" and "Custom_Civilizations" require both MLF .XML files inside the respective folders to work (using the wrong file will cause things not to load).

:D I hope that helps

I had this problem a while ago. It was something about the folder path...thing...I'll just give it to you in the words of a proffesional:

:D I hope that helps

Ok. I got everything but the new leader art to appear in game. Anything I have to do?
I had to edit the .ini files to allow custom modular loading.

Also, could anyone upload their folder of Cleopatra from the custom_leaderhead folder (not the one from the other folder within that). I seem to have merged the Cleopatra from other with that.

herp derp, everything works perfectly, it was my fault all along. I mistakenly renamed the other folder into ohter. After fixing it, it works perfectly and I didn't have to change anything

I just have a few small suggestions for the Maya leaderheads you've added.

First Smoke Jaguar should be changed to a different maya leader (you dont have to change the leaderhead, just the name). Smoke Jaguar was almost made up by Firaxis, he was a very obscure leader of a minor city state, but he was probably the best they could find at the time, since we knew almost nothing about mayan rulers back then. Since then however, we've gotten full king lists of most major mayan cities, and even have some information on what individual leaders did during their reigns. I would suggest renaming him to Yik'in Chan K'awiil. Yik'in Chan K'awiil led Tikal, which was the biggest Mayan citystate, during it's height, and even managed to conquer his only serious rival state, Calakmul, during his reign. He would make a much better leader than Smoke Jaguar IMO.

And Secondly, I would rename the female Mayan leader to Ix Sak K'uk'. She was Pacal II's mother, and actually ruled Palenque independantly for a while, and acted as Pacal's regent until he took power. I'm not sure if that is who the leader head is supposed to be already, but I would use the name Ix Sak K'uk' instead of the current one even if it is.

These are just some flavour suggestions. You've done a very good job with the leaderheads themselves, some of them are very high quality and they add alot of replayability to AND.

I just have a few small suggestions for the Maya leaderheads you've added.

First Smoke Jaguar should be changed to a different maya leader (you dont have to change the leaderhead, just the name). Smoke Jaguar was almost made up by Firaxis, he was a very obscure leader of a minor city state, but he was probably the best they could find at the time, since we knew almost nothing about mayan rulers back then. Since then however, we've gotten full king lists of most major mayan cities, and even have some information on what individual leaders did during their reigns. I would suggest renaming him to Yik'in Chan K'awiil. Yik'in Chan K'awiil led Tikal, which was the biggest Mayan citystate, during it's height, and even managed to conquer his only serious rival state, Calakmul, during his reign. He would make a much better leader than Smoke Jaguar IMO.

And Secondly, I would rename the female Mayan leader to Ix Sak K'uk'. She was Pacal II's mother, and actually ruled Palenque independantly for a while, and acted as Pacal's regent until he took power. I'm not sure if that is who the leader head is supposed to be already, but I would use the name Ix Sak K'uk' instead of the current one even if it is.

These are just some flavour suggestions. You've done a very good job with the leaderheads themselves, some of them are very high quality and they add alot of replayability to AND.

Interesting. First, let me say that I did not make the LHs; the graphics forum made them, I just added them to the game via XML code. I chose the names based on what the graphics forum named them, stayed with that based on my unfamiliarity of Mesoamerican history. A number of secondary LHs came out of Wikipedia, internet searches (there were some interesting and very questionable things that came out of some of the searches:crazyeye:), or what information was provided by the graphics forum. I do not think Firaxis made up Smoke Jaguar, since the LH was made by the graphics forum. I would guess that it was a request by someone who played Rise of Nations (there was a scenario making community here for that game) since he was the leader name for the Maya for the New World campaign. I know I will have to make changes during an update which I will probably have to do for 1.76, so that is when these type of changes will occur.

I also have to mention that I appreciate flavor and balancing suggestions. They help a project like this improve.

Interesting. First, let me say that I did not make the LHs; the graphics forum made them, I just added them to the game via XML code. I chose the names based on what the graphics forum named them, stayed with that based on my unfamiliarity of Mesoamerican history. A number of secondary LHs came out of Wikipedia, internet searches (there were some interesting and very questionable things that came out of some of the searches:crazyeye:), or what information was provided by the graphics forum. I do not think Firaxis made up Smoke Jaguar, since the LH was made by the graphics forum. I would guess that it was a request by someone who played Rise of Nations (there was a scenario making community here for that game) since he was the leader name for the Maya for the New World campaign. I know I will have to make changes during an update which I will probably have to do for 1.76, so that is when these type of changes will occur.

I also have to mention that I appreciate flavor and balancing suggestions. They help a project like this improve.

Saying Firaxis made Smoke Jaguar up wasnt quite right. He was real, but he was an unimportant leader, and they only chose him because he was the best they could find at the time. He was the leader in civ 3 which was made back in 2001, and almost no mayan leaders were known, we've only found out about most of them since then. The leaderheads themselves are great, I just think naming them differnetly would be more flavourful.

I'd also like to thank you for making this. I tried doing the same thing a while ago but gave up because I didnt have enough time to work on it. You've done an excellent job in making sure that the civs each ahve 2 leaders, that must've taken alot of research time.

Saying Firaxis made Smoke Jaguar up wasnt quite right. He was real, but he was an unimportant leader, and they only chose him because he was the best they could find at the time. He was the leader in civ 3 which was made back in 2001, and almost no mayan leaders were known, we've only found out about most of them since then. The leaderheads themselves are great, I just think naming them differnetly would be more flavourful.

I was unaware that Smoke Jaguar was the Civ3 leader (I only played Civilization: CtP and a very little Civ2 and before Civ4). I understand your point, and will make that change with the update I know I will likely have to do with the next version (1.76).

I'd also like to thank you for making this. I tried doing the same thing a while ago but gave up because I didnt have enough time to work on it. You've done an excellent job in making sure that the civs each ahve 2 leaders, that must've taken alot of research time.

You are welcome. Some civs were harder than others to add 2 leaders for, it was a matter of matching up history with the graphics available. Thankfully, the graphics forum produced a lot of leaderheads and also the fact that the ones from The Road to War mod included with BtS were usable. Research was the hardest for the native peoples of Latin America, Mutapa, and the pre-Greek civs (other than Minoa, other modders did that work for me). Although, the most frustrating thing was finding a great leader for a civ historically, but realizing I did not have art to use for them, either because it was already in use or none even close was created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom