Rome Rapid Expansion

Great Library of Alexandria, very good in free for all or teams.

that'd be a pretty good idea in teams. I've used them once before in teams, and my partner was china, so he was teching fast, and I was just expanding and building wonders. I banked hammers in one city, while building vet legion armies and then we teched up fast to combustion, leonardo's workshop for 100 hammers, and I was rolling in with about 10 tank armies around 200AD.

it's nice when a teams partner can keep up with you in tech, that way you can tech way faster than normal. but in general, i don't like teams, it's just not the same game.

I got this strategy working. It requires 2 trees for each city. You can have 3 cities all with 2 pop, 2 warriors, horseback riding, a horsemen army, and 100 GOLD all in 16-18 turns. Pretty Powerful I think. Doesnt always work if you cant get 100 gold in 10-11 turns and 2 trees in each city. But ive been getting it down pretty consistently and its been pretty powerful because the saved 100 gold and the free horsemen army becomes very powerful in expanding. If you can get the strat to work, your easily going to have 10-15 cities very quickly. Than start massing settlers and vet legion armies for a city-road rush to your enemies.

I need a reply on this guys.

Turn 15-19 (depending if you use gold to rush Horsemen and when you get free settler)
-3 cities all 2pop
-2 warriors on choke
-I have horsebackriding and 1 horsemenarmy
-100+ gold

Turn 33
-Irrigation
-4 cities 3 pop cities
-Rome pop4
-196gold
-6 techs

Turn 37
- Currency
-Free market (colossus coming in 4 turns)
-Free Caravan

Turn 50
20+ cities.

20 cities in 50 turns is good enough to win you any game.

I think you're slowing yourself down getting horsemen though. That's a lot of hammers or gold that could be used on settlers or archers. Think of each of those horsemen as a settler you could be building, since they both cost 20 hammers and 40 gold to rush in the ancient.

Irrigation in 33 turns (700 BC) is pretty slow actually, and to only have 4 cities at this point of the game is not good for the Romans.

Currency by 37 turns is pretty slow too.

Ususally you want irrigation around 20-25 turns, maybe 30. but currency around that time too. Ususally in FFA, someone is racing to irrigation, and lots of times it's already had by 1500BC.

I'd shoot for at least 10 cities by 0 AD, but preferably about 15, that are well defended with legions and archers.

Give up on those horsemen man. You can take those AIs later with legions if you want, for cheaper, better free techs, and bigger cities, all while building your own empire up. Just think about it. For each horseman you build, that's another city. So you could have in 15-19 turns by your same calcuations:
6 cities all 2 pop
warriros at chokes
100 gold
bronze working

If you don't expand before you get five techs, then settlers are going to cost more gold. If you only have 4 cities by the time you have 6 techs, you're expansion is gonna be slowed down. I usually like to have at least 5 cities, prefferably more by the time I get to 5 techs. But often I'll not go for irrigation at all, just keep spamming settlers at 40 gold, and then get my five techs, saving a few of those settlers to settle after I get 5 techs to get 3 pop in my new cities.

but the main thing is, each horseman you build is another city. So almost to justify making a horsearmy, you'd have to take 3 cities at 2 pop, or 2 cities at 3 pop to make up for the lost expansion. There is some usefulness to horsemen, and they can be good protection after you finish rushing, and they can help you get gold quicker, but I still think it's a big waste of time in the ancient era for the romans, and if your army gets killed, then you've really lost time.

20 cities in 50 turns is good enough to win you any game.

I think you're slowing yourself down getting horsemen though. That's a lot of hammers or gold that could be used on settlers or archers. Think of each of those horsemen as a settler you could be building, since they both cost 20 hammers and 40 gold to rush in the ancient.

Irrigation in 33 turns (700 BC) is pretty slow actually, and to only have 4 cities at this point of the game is not good for the Romans.

Currency by 37 turns is pretty slow too.

Ususally you want irrigation around 20-25 turns, maybe 30. but currency around that time too. Ususally in FFA, someone is racing to irrigation, and lots of times it's already had by 1500BC.

I'd shoot for at least 10 cities by 0 AD, but preferably about 15, that are well defended with legions and archers.

Give up on those horsemen man. You can take those AIs later with legions if you want, for cheaper, better free techs, and bigger cities, all while building your own empire up. Just think about it. For each horseman you build, that's another city. So you could have in 15-19 turns by your same calcuations:
6 cities all 2 pop
warriros at chokes
100 gold
bronze working

If you don't expand before you get five techs, then settlers are going to cost more gold. If you only have 4 cities by the time you have 6 techs, you're expansion is gonna be slowed down. I usually like to have at least 5 cities, prefferably more by the time I get to 5 techs. But often I'll not go for irrigation at all, just keep spamming settlers at 40 gold, and then get my five techs, saving a few of those settlers to settle after I get 5 techs to get 3 pop in my new cities.

but the main thing is, each horseman you build is another city. So almost to justify making a horsearmy, you'd have to take 3 cities at 2 pop, or 2 cities at 3 pop to make up for the lost expansion. There is some usefulness to horsemen, and they can be good protection after you finish rushing, and they can help you get gold quicker, but I still think it's a big waste of time in the ancient era for the romans, and if your army gets killed, then you've really lost time.

Well, the horsemen were actually free I built them from turn 14-19 to stop a horsemen rush against the chinese next to me and i killed his. Also he couldnt really expand quickly any more because I was camping. So it payed off in that sense. Irrigation at 20-25 is lightning fast. 5 turns for warriors, 5 turns for cap to grow. You really never know when your going to get 100 g. 5 Turns for Bronze and than build Defense. Its like 20 turns to setup with alot of civs. I caught Irrigation at 33 and had 8 cities before I got currency. So turn 37 8 cities than by 50 I hit 20 with Democracy.

Grayson your right though, horsemen are not needed. I only built them to counter a horse rush because i felt if i made the 6 cities I wouldve had to waste gold rushing archers and maybe lost a city or archers. The horsemen was a gamble but hitting his horsemen from my hill did the trick and he wasted his time. I also did catch some settlers and secondary cities, so it payed off. By 1300-1400 I had the nuke, military complex and tanks, with a beautiful Gold city with col, Hanging, Trade, east, bank, market, gold guy. I mightve been able to pull a tech win at 1300-1500. I dont know but I didnt even think about it.

edit

Btw I was thinking of skipping Irrigation-mason-pottery and just doubling my city count and than rush for currency after that.

Well, the horsemen were actually free I built them from turn 14-19 to stop a horsemen rush against the chinese next to me and i killed his. Also he couldnt really expand quickly any more because I was camping. So it payed off in that sense. Irrigation at 20-25 is lightning fast. 5 turns for warriors, 5 turns for cap to grow. You really never know when your going to get 100 g. 5 Turns for Bronze and than build Defense. Its like 20 turns to setup with alot of civs. I caught Irrigation at 33 and had 8 cities before I got currency. So turn 37 8 cities than by 50 I hit 20 with Democracy.

I don't grow Rome up to 3 pop. After 5 turns for warriors, then work 2 turns on grass, then hammer/rush a settler. If you are close to 100 gold, then wait and just hammer the settler. Then get a few more cities the same way. After you build your first city, spend about 3 turns teching to bronze out of your 2-3 cities, get some archers, build/rush more settlers. Usually I have 5 cities or maybe more in 20 turns, plus bronze, and the means to get about 12-20 science per turn without sacrificing too much for defensive measures. This way, you can get to irriagation in about 8 turns (20 pottery, 30 masonary, 50 irrigation), after that just get currency and you'll be great.

Getting those cities out to safe spots very fast will let you build more settlers and get whatever tech/units you need very fast. Yes, if rushers come, it's nice to have a counter. Usually a warrior army can take down most horsearmies, since the warriors attack is equal to the horseman's defense. But horsemen are a good counter if you really need them. After that, just getting iron working and legions everywhere is prefferable. But the horsemen are versitale, but I would only use them in specific situations, not everytime. Archer armies will ususally repel the horsemen, but if they are camping and you can't go anywhere, then it makes sense to kill them with horses..

But I usually don't grow many cities to 3 pop in the ancient era. I just bank enough food for them to grow back to 2 so I can get more settlers out of them. Once I know that I won't be sending a settler out of that city, then I'll grow it up.

but in general, most players online don't build more than 10 cities, hell, most don't even build more than 5. But I'm not worried about those kind of players. If you get to 20 cities fast, then you should be able to do whatever you want and have a huge advantage.

Grayson your right though, horsemen are not needed. I only built them to counter a horse rush because i felt if i made the 6 cities I wouldve had to waste gold rushing archers and maybe lost a city or archers. The horsemen was a gamble but hitting his horsemen from my hill did the trick and he wasted his time. I also did catch some settlers and secondary cities, so it payed off. By 1300-1400 I had the nuke, military complex and tanks, with a beautiful Gold city with col, Hanging, Trade, east, bank, market, gold guy. I mightve been able to pull a tech win at 1300-1500. I dont know but I didnt even think about it.

edit

Btw I was thinking of skipping Irrigation-mason-pottery and just doubling my city count and than rush for currency after that.
economic victories are almost always faster than tech victories, especially if u have the wonders u listed above.

Hmmmm your right. I realized even when I had the Internet wonder I just kept spending money on buildings making my cities very strong. Im gonna try a economic victory with the romans. The world bank is cut in half too.

Top Bottom