What Native American tribe do you expect/want?

Which Native American tribe do you expect/want?

• Total voters
Cascadia!

If they choose the Cherokee tribe who would be a good civ leader? Seqouia?

Osiyo! I live where a lot of Cherokee do and they regard Chief John Ross (also known as Guwisguwi) as the best leader of the Cherokee. He was the leader of the Cherokee during the Civil War and Trail of Tears. Sequoyah was never a leader of the Cherokee. His only claim to fame is the syllabary they use.

Though I would prefer her original Cherokee name Nanyehi ("One who goes about"). :)

I think it's quite likely that any Indian leader would have their traditional name rather than adopted Christian name. Otherwise, it would weird some people out.

BTW, I do think Sequoya is the most well-known Cherokee, but I agree that he is not the best leader choice. It's cool that he invented an alphabet, though.

I think it's quite likely that any Indian leader would have their traditional name rather than adopted Christian name. Otherwise, it would weird some people out.

BTW, I do think Sequoya is the most well-known Cherokee, but I agree that he is not the best leader choice. It's cool that he invented an alphabet, though.

It was really an incredible accomplishment for one person. It takes most societies ages to do the same thing as this one guy.

If the Cherokee do get added I could see Sequoyah being added to the GP list. Probably as a Scientist.

It was really an incredible accomplishment for one person. It takes most societies ages to do the same thing as this one guy.
Especially when he couldn't actually read Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which I think were the alphabets that inspired the Cherokee syllabary.

If the Cherokee do get added I could see Sequoyah being added to the GP list. Probably as a Scientist.
He wasn't a scientist, though. He was a silversmith. If he must be added, he'd probably be an engineer.

I say scientist because scientific progress is represented as literacy in the game and his accomplishment in that field is pretty extraordinary.

The only problem I'd have with adding the Cherokee right now is that, with the Iroquois being the only Native American civ currently available, it would be weird to have another Iroquoian language-speaking group from the Eastern Woodlands be the only new option. (That's assuming there aren't two Native American civs being added with BNW, which, let's be honest, it doesn't look like there will be.) Adding the Cherokee with no Great Plains, Southwestern, or Pacific Northwestern options would be about like adding the Portuguese if Spain were the only other European civ. Both Spain and Portugal are interesting and important and deserve to be in, but wouldn't we all say, "Another Latinate Iberian civ? Shouldn't they have gone for the Germans or the English or something?" So don't misunderstand; I would love it if the Cherokee were in. I would just think that maybe they should have picked a couple of more different Native groups first.

I say scientist because scientific progress is represented as literacy in the game and his accomplishment in that field is pretty extraordinary.
Ah, well, I didn't actually look at it that way. Seeing as his invention caused the rise of literacy among his tribesfolk, that does make sense.

The only problem I'd have with adding the Cherokee right now is that, with the Iroquois being the only Native American civ currently available, it would be weird to have another Iroquoian language-speaking group from the Eastern Woodlands be the only new option. (That's assuming there aren't two Native American civs being added with BNW, which, let's be honest, it doesn't look like there will be.) Adding the Cherokee with no Great Plains, Southwestern, or Pacific Northwestern options would be about like adding the Portuguese if Spain were the only other European civ. Both Spain and Portugal are interesting and important and deserve to be in, but wouldn't we all say, "Another Latinate Iberian civ? Shouldn't they have gone for the Germans or the English or something?" So don't misunderstand; I would love it if the Cherokee were in. I would just think that maybe they should have picked a couple of more different Native groups first.

I feel the same way. One of my pet civ ideas is the Comanche and I adored the Popey/Pueblo concept. But I take the Tomahawk unit as an indication of the Native American culture to be introduced and it clearly excludes Western Native Americans. So while I would prefer other options, I feel like the Cherokee is the most likely candidate with the other 4 "civilized tribes" and the Shawnee being outside options.

I completely agree with you. I love the Cherokee, but I think that Sioux, Apache, Comanche, or even the Inuit would be a good idea. If we can't have the Cherokee then I would like to see the Comanche, some of the greatest light horsemen of all history.

I really, really do think it's a shame that they gave up on DLC so easily. I don't know, maybe I'm in a small minority for enjoying it, but I think they could have given us several of those civs by now without having to worry about fitting them into the small number of slots available for an expansion pack. I would have loved to have had the Comanche, the Sioux, and the Apache all available. I would have especially loved to see the Haida or the Tlingit (see also: my location), even though that will probably never happen, because the totem pole would have been a very cool UI. I'd also love to have the Cherokee, but not just the Iroquois and Cherokee and none of the others.

I really, really do think it's a shame that they gave up on DLC so easily. I don't know, maybe I'm in a small minority for enjoying it, but I think they could have given us several of those civs by now without having to worry about fitting them into the small number of slots available for an expansion pack. I would have loved to have had the Comanche, the Sioux, and the Apache all available. I would have especially loved to see the Haida or the Tlingit (see also: my location), even though that will probably never happen, because the totem pole would have been a very cool UI. I'd also love to have the Cherokee, but not just the Iroquois and Cherokee and none of the others.

I wouldn't mind just civ packs. I can see it now.

Native America DLC: Pubelo, Mississippian, Sioux/Cherokee, Inuit, Olmec, Nazca
Modern America DLC: Canada, Mexico, (Gran) Columbia, Argentina
Africa DLC: Kongo, Mali, Nubia, Zimbabwe
Asian DLC: Tibet, Australia, Vietnam, Khemer, Khazaria, Phillipines
Middle Eastern DLC: Pakistan, Israel, Sumer, Somali, Hitties
European DLC: Finland, Hungary, Switzerland, HRE, Norway, Romania

On second thought, I'd be broke after all that.

Very simplistic map :p

Shoshone would be nice, it's not gonna happen though, I'm guessing cherokee to go with the civil war scenario, maybe another one of the "civilized" tribes in the southeast

Yeah, one of the main reasons I'm against the Cherokee is because they are an eastern tribe and, in my opinion, can be represented to an extent with the Iroquois. I know the Cherokee are Southeast and the Iroquois more Northeast, but I really want a western tribe. Maybe the tomahawk barbarian is being overblown? Has fireaxis ever hid a civ under the colors of the barbarian?

Yeah, one of the main reasons I'm against the Cherokee is because they are an eastern tribe and, in my opinion, can be represented to an extent with the Iroquois.

I wouldn't go that far. Saying the Cherokee can be represented by the Iroquois is like saying that the Dutch, Austrians, and Swedish can all be represented by Germany because they live in the same part of Eurasia and speak similar languages. There are plenty of differences between the Iroquois and the Cherokee, and it would be perfectly valid to include both as separate civs. However, if the final, complete version of Civ V is only going to have two Native civs from the whole of the North American landmass north of Mesoamerica, it would be strange to have them be two groups who are closely related, speak closely related languages, and lived very near each other. It would make more sense to add an unrelated civ or two from farther away first, like the Sioux and the Apache for example, and then add the Cherokee.

Yeah, one of the main reasons I'm against the Cherokee is because they are an eastern tribe and, in my opinion, can be represented to an extent with the Iroquois. I know the Cherokee are Southeast and the Iroquois more Northeast, but I really want a western tribe. Maybe the tomahawk barbarian is being overblown? Has fireaxis ever hid a civ under the colors of the barbarian?
Ethiopia is hidden by barbarian colors. :lol:
I wouldn't go that far. Saying the Cherokee can be represented by the Iroquois is like saying that the Dutch, Austrians, and Swedish can all be represented by Germany because they live in the same part of Eurasia and speak similar languages. There are plenty of differences between the Iroquois and the Cherokee, and it would be perfectly valid to include both as separate civs. However, if the final, complete version of Civ V is only going to have two Native civs from the whole of the North American landmass north of Mesoamerica, it would be strange to have them be two groups who are closely related, speak closely related languages, and lived very near each other. It would make more sense to add an unrelated civ or two from farther away first, like the Sioux and the Apache for example, and then add the Cherokee.
I would be fine with the Sioux/Apache after the Cherokee, Mississippian, and Pubelans get in. My main problem with the Sioux and Apache is they never built cities. That is why I don't like the Huns either.

Of course they're not the same but there is no way they would include that many NA tribes. So it's more or less combing the tribes of the two distinct regions of the U.S.

Top Bottom